Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2004 8:34:13 AM EDT
Well guys at the end of this month I will be picking up my newest AR addition. Shortly therafter I plan to register it as an SBR. With that the question becomes what to do.

A little about the AR. It's a pre-ban with an A1 upper and an 11.5in heavy barrel with the long flash supressor. So now that yah know the important stuffs I'm asking for ideas guys. This will more than likely be a year long project. And cost will be a factor as well for some of the items but not all of them(optic).

I plan on building an SPR on my postban and than taking my current 14.5in M4 profile postban upper and replacing the y-comp with a vortex and using that as my GenPurp upper. But I also want a shorter upper in 5.56mm as well, kind of a fun at 100yd and under upper.

I don't know if I want to keep the A1 upper I'm partial to flattops. I'm thinking of keeping the barrel and just swaping out the upper and the flash supressor for a vortex as soon as the paperwork comes back ok.

I'm not partial to red-dots, but for this one I'm thinking about it. So what do you guys recommend, I don't baby my guns at the range or in the woods so what ever it is it's got to be rugged as hell. I'll be keeping the front sight and I'm thinking an ARMS #40 for the rear since I have one and like it a lot.

Also I like rails so this gun will have a 4 rail tube, the question is which one? I haven't really been keeping up to date on FF tubes and such. I could use some advise here.

It's also got to have a light, though for now I think I got that covered with an M6 though I think I want something a bit brighter. Looking for recommendations for this as well.

I think I know what I'm getting for a Vert Grip, but I'll take recomendations for one anyway.

Well thats about it. If ya got any recommendations for any of the stuff let me know. And thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are some pics to get you thinking. The first two are from MSTN. If I were in your shoes I would contact them and get one of there LMT Commando uppers to start with.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/mstn/M4Short.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/085440.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054146.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about an SBR also. Is there anyone here who thinks anything under 10 inches barrel length in a 1-in-9 has a snowball's chance in hell of being accurate? Just wondering because I have not seen any LEO, SWAT or HRT using 5.56 weapons with less than a 10 inch barrel. For 9mm or .45, I could see it, but would a sub 10 inch barrel allow a 5.56 bullet to rotate enough to stabilize before leaving the muzzle?
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 4:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
That top pick is sweeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]
A barrel less than 10" will stabilize a bullet, the problem however is velocity.
A shorter barrel reduces the velocity and hence the stopping power of the 5.56 round.

Link Posted: 1/4/2004 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A barrel less than 10" will stabilize a bullet, the problem however is velocity.
A shorter barrel reduces the velocity and hence the stopping power of the 5.56 round.

View Quote

Using a heavy bullet like the 68gr or up or a faster lighter bullet(M193) should fix that though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
10" bbl on an AR = fun gun, not practical

atleast in my book
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
You kidding? It's the perfect indoors gun. Ok so the blast from the muzzle would be defining to say the least but think about the manuverability in tight quarters. I think it's very practical, situation dependent of course. The .40 call upper i have is getting shopped down as well tht ones going to be a 10in with a QD supressor mount and a FS.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top