Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 1:48:00 PM EDT
Like the title says...what size target do you use at 100 and 200 yds (or meters).  When I say target, I referring to the numbered portion of the target, like an 8 inch circle, etc.

Thx,

Nobby
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
At 100 yards I use red paper plates.  I can hit those fine with iron sights.  Cheap and easy.  I'm not into the super precision shooting that the bolt action crowd is into, I just want combat accuracy.  I figure a paper plate at 100 yards is pretty good.  I'm happy with it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of my shooting is done at 100yds and I use a standard SR-1 target with a 6 3/8 inch black. I like the heavier paper they use as well. It makes for crisp holes in the paper which are easier to measure.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Today it was 8" VisiShots
and a 5"x 8"x 1/2" Mild steel plate

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Take an ordinary paper grocery bag, and cut it lengthwise in two.

2. Cut along the bottom corners of each half.

3. You now have two silhouette sized (idpa) targets.  

4. Make a stencil out of cardboard which has a pie plate sized 5 ring, and a 10-12" octagon 4 ring around it.

5. The head is 5, the circle is 5, the octagon is 4, everything else is 2.

6. Record your scores so you'll know if you improve or not.

7. Since it's life sized, you can shoot it as far as you can see it.  Put a dot in the circle if you wanna do some scope work.  It's consistent, repeatable, and realistic.  Shoot it backwards to make yourself 'guess' center of mass.

8.  Other than the magic marker to draw the stencil, you didn't spend a dime.  Well, maybe for the ammo.... and the rifle....

--Fargo007
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
     Depends on my mood. If I am in the mood to squint thru a 20 power scope over sandbags and trying ammo I might just throw a bunch of 1" red sticky dots on a piece of scrap computer paper. (works ot 100 and 200 with a good scope)
      Other days when I just want to bang away offhand with iron sights I am looking for a steel plate the size of a manhole cover!
      This time of year I am scouting out a good supply of free for nothing punpkins (round about the first of next month) for my after holloween blast fest.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1. Take an ordinary paper grocery bag, and cut it lengthwise in two.

2. Cut along the bottom corners of each half.

3. You now have two silhouette sized (idpa) targets.  

4. Make a stencil out of cardboard which has a pie plate sized 5 ring, and a 10-12" octagon 4 ring around it.

5. The head is 5, the circle is 5, the octagon is 4, everything else is 2.

6. Record your scores so you'll know if you improve or not.

7. Since it's life sized, you can shoot it as far as you can see it.  Put a dot in the circle if you wanna do some scope work.  It's consistent, repeatable, and realistic.  Shoot it backwards to make yourself 'guess' center of mass.

8.  Other than the magic marker to draw the stencil, you didn't spend a dime.  Well, maybe for the ammo.... and the rifle....

--Fargo007

Good idea.  Now that HP season is over, I'll probably make a few and kill them with the AR and the Garand.  I might even fix bayonets and charge it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]
At 100 I use paper plates with a sharpie bullseye drawn in the middle. At 200 I use the same with butcher paper behind it in case I am off a bit.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I use 9 inch diameter paper plates that are white.  It is easy to see the bullet holes with my 10x binos 100 yrds. away.  If I'm shooting a scoped rifle I will take a crayon or something and make a quarter sized circle so that I have something to put the crosshair on.  This is cheap and it works better than targets that have a black background.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the 3" shoot-n-sees at 50 yds and the 6" at 100 yds. Reason being, you get the exact same sight picture -- they look like they are the same size when you are looking through the sights. At 200 yds, I shoot at the silhouettes. There is one of a chicken and one of a pig at my range. Might be 200 meters, now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I like to shoot at man targets.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
8" X 11" printer paper and 8" X 11" printer paper.  Shoot it once, then aim for the bullet hole.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I use an 8.5 x 11 piece of plain white paper with 6 gridded spots on it.  Also have another target with just a single larger spot and grid.  Designed them using Microsoft Publisher.  They can be printed on any laser or inkjet printer.  Want a copy of the files?  I can email them to you.

Here's a section of the 6 spot target....

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Somehow when I got out of the Marines, I ended up with an unopened box of paper targets (looks like 500+ in this monster box).  I can hardly pick up the thing, but now that I have my new m4, I am sure glad I kept this box around :)

--Josh
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
For a combat type of shooting I use discarded car tires and wheels .  I bury them half in the ground.  They are similiar in size to a head and shoulders target.  I have them buried at  various ranges out to about 300 yards.
It is easy to tell when you hit the steel part, the tire part thwacks loud enough to hear.  You just cant tell exactly where you hit it.  If you hit the metal rim you know you pretty much have a center hit.
Also the targe t right on the ground gives a different sight picture which I think is more of a realistic sight picture.
I live in the desert so this is not a particularly dangerous way to shoot.
Bulls eye targets are good for zeroing but get boring after awhile.
Kelly
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#15]

j/k

8" Bull

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes I use this guy. But most times it's just the standard square paper targets.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top