Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 4:54:55 PM EDT
Hello, I apologize for the newb questions but after browsing the site I'm still a little confused.

First, I'm from New Orleans and have decided after my recent experience that two handguns just won't cut it.  I'd like to get a rifle and have decided upon the ar-15.

However, since I have no rifle experience I was wondering if some kind soul would fill me in on what I'm looking for.  I'm pretty sure I'll get a bushmaster with a 16" barrel unless someone can tell me why not to.  Also, what ballpark price range is fair for that selection.  I'd also like to have some sort of optics later on so I guess I don't want the carrying handle.  Bushmaster has myriad weapons on their website and I'm am confused as to which I am actually looking for.  I don't know a carbine from a carbeurator.  Just don't want to go into a gun store and get fingered for the newb that I am (or get screwed for that matter).  Any and all help is appreciated.  What should I be buying??
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
first off: Welcome to the site!

as to ARs--you can either build(from scratch or easy) em or buy em whole

if you buy em whole, BUSHMASTER is a great choice; RRA is another great brand

if you build em, check the Industry and EE board for parts and the "build it yourself" board for links and how to's--its easy and saves you money

check outwww.aimsurplus.com for good prices on bushies

what ever you get, i would recommend:

a chrome LINED bbl
A3(flatop) upper
some kinda muzzle device, perferably a FH--A2 or phantom
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome from me as well. Hope all is going well for you.

Like mentioned above, a chrome-lined barrel is pretty much a necessity for a rifle that may encounter harsh conditions. A carbine would also be a wise choice for its maneuverability, and quick handling. I'd also recommend a flat top upper, as the carry handle's sights are pretty much the same as those on the A2 fixed carry handle uppers. That way, it's easy to add optics later just by taking off the carry handle. I'd rate Bushmaster in the top 3 AR-15 manufacturers. Expect to pay $800-1000 for a new rifle.

Hope this helps somewhat. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome.  Good thinking comming here to find answers.  Great wording you question too.  No flames here.

First off, we all hope everything is okay with you, your family, and your house.  If not, our hearts go out to you.

Second, Bushmaster, or RRA, are excellent choices.  If your wanting a carbine, since your from an area with high humidity, I suggest a chrome lined barrel.  Asking a gun dealer this simple question will make you look like your somewhat compitent.  Ask him to show you that it's chrome lined.  when he pulls back the charging handle, take a look inside the chamber.  if it is a light grey, or silver color it's chrome lined.  if it's black, it isn't.  look for a bayonet lug, and A2 flash hider.  This will tell you if the weapon is a newer produciton weapon, or something he is just trying to get rid of that he had in stock before the ban expired.  Also check to see that the stock actually collapses, and is not pinned into the open position.  Your also looking to make sure the carry handle comes off.  that's a no brainer though, you'll be able to tell that at frist glance.  If your not sure on what these terms are, someone here can post pics of what you need to look for.  That will make it easier for you.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your replies.  My family and I did manage to escape the city a couple of hairy days after the storm.  Thank God we are all safe.

So, if I ask for a Bushmaster M4A3 type 16 inch carbine with an A2 suppressor will I be on the right track?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you for your replies.  My family and I did manage to escape the city a couple of hairy days after the storm.  Thank God we are all safe.

So, if I ask for a Bushmaster M4A3 type 16 inch carbine with an A2 suppressor will I be on the right track?

sounds good

whatever you do, get a good price and stick to USGI mags and quality ammo

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#6]
How good are Stag Arms AR-15's?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Go into a gun store to learn, not to buy. Handle different configurations and see if any of them feel more "natural" than others.

Your reluctance to be recognized as a noob is short sighted. Who the hell cares? Concentrate on learning, not your image.

Do lots of reading, obviously you have the whole internet at your disposal, or you wouldn't be here.

Glad you got out of that place with your family.

Good luck and stay safe.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top