User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2004 10:50:04 AM EDT
......for our AR's?

I'm assuming that something with TEFLON is required?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I like Breakfree myself.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
FP-10 and EEZOX, do a search and you will see why it's one of the better one's out there too. It's smells nice too
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for breakfree
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Astroglide.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no "best"  There is just "correct"

CLP.  That's all.  Nothing else.  Doesnt matter what brand, as long as it is CLP.  I use Breakfree.

Dont listen to anything else.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
FP-10 Best CLP on the market.

I tried most, now the just sit on my shelf collecting dust, this stuff is the shit..  I also starting using wilson combat products on my new 1911, really helps the slide glide
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Astroglide.

So does that mean I have to shout "Take It BABY!" everytime I pull the trigger?
I knew SOMEBODY was going to post "Astroglide"!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Breakfree CLP.   Has anyone tried or used the MILITEC-1 lubricant?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I cant say what is the "best" but I will say that I used the standard ARmy issue Break Free. I used it in every climate and under every condition and it works great. In fact if you never use harsh cleaners, the break free kind of gets into the metal and it stays slick. I had my M16 to the point where all I needed to clean it in the field was and old krevat or rag. Just wiped it down real good, put only one or two drops and evenly coated it over the critica components and that was it.

Even after firing hundreds of blanks (dirty sumbitches I tell ya) all I had to do was wipe off everything and it looked perfect. This does not mean I didnt attack it with dental tools and q-tips when we got back to the rear.

I stick with break free. The only problem is the smell. I hate the smell of break free.

Oh another cool thing to do with break free is grab a weapon that you think is 100% spotless, drench the weapon with break free wait a couple of days and inspect it. It will fail inspection 100% of the time. Thats if you have nothing better for your troopers to do. The stuff pulls crap out of nowhere it seems.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Poontang, it's completely natural and sometimes slightly odorless.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#11]
FP10 is the best, Breakfree clp is second.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Also, poontang is biodegradable, environmentally friendly, even a bad batch becomes completely safe after being exposed to the air for a few moments.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]
My brother was in the middle east beach for 18 months.  He likes REM OIL.  
He didn't use CLP  (BREAKFREE) unless he had to.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#14]

BreakFree CLP...

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#15]
CLP cleaner and lube.miltec does not protect against rust like clp but does cling to parts.FP 10 doesnr seem to hold up as good in rain than the break free in my experiece but does lube well.CLP#1 for me
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Astroglide.

So does that mean I have to shout "Take It BABY!" everytime I pull the trigger?
I knew SOMEBODY was going to post "Astroglide"!

"More Thrusts per Squeeze"
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually, I just spent most of the summer evaluating a four CLP-style products to see if anything could beat Breakfree, which I have used for years.

Here is my opinion on them based on my informal tests:

Militec-1:
Cleans: N/A
Protects: N/A
Lubricates: 3

Militec-1 does not offer anything in the cleaning or protection category. In fact, objects treated with Militec rust at exactly the same rate as objects treated with nothing at all. It doesn't clean any better than water either. It is a decent lube but has a complicated application process that must be followed exactly in order to work.

FP-10:
Cleans: 2
Protects: 3
Lubricates: 2

FP10 doesn't equal old Breakfree (the original CLP) in its protective abilities. Using FP10 did lead to easier clean up though, baked on carbon was easier to remove and there was less sludge compared to Breakfree. Not a dramatic improvement; but slightly easier cleaning. At first I had malfunctions with two separate firearms treated with FP10. After I detail cleaned and degreased both firearms and reapplied FP10, the issues went away; but it doesn't seem to coexist well with Breakfree.

Breakfree:
Cleans: 3
Protects: 2
Lubricates: 4

Breakfree provides better protection than FP10 - about several days of constant outdoor rain and 90+ degree heat better. As a cleaner, Breakfree has never been outstanding. Milspec requires it removes 80% of powder residue and I suspect it does that, if barely. I usually use solvent after 1,000 rounds or so because Breakfree alone doesn't get it done with high round counts. Likewise, Breakfree tends to produce a little more sludge and baked on carbon than its competitors. espite the low rank for lubricants, I think Breakfree does pretty well but doesn't seem to handle the high heat as well as any of the competitors.

SLIP2000:
Cleans: 1
Protects: 1
Lubricates: 1

This was the only lubricant to beat Breakfree in my patio corrosion test. It also is a hell of a cleaner. My original application of SLIP2000 removed carbon that Breakfree and FP10 + a bore brush had not been able to get. Since CLPs are usually weak on cleaning, I was impressed enough to order their Carbon Cutter product to try it out on the hard-baked on carbon on the tail of the bolt and firing pin; but by the time it arrived, the SLIP2000 CLP I used to lube had penetrated and removed the much of the remaining carbon. The bolt probably hasn't looked that clean since before its 1,000 round mark. I figure I'll get it dirty again and see what the Carbon Cutter does; but I really think I would have been fine with just the CLP. Finally, there was a noticeable slickness to the action with SLIP2000 and the guns I have been using it on have not had a malfunction in several months of use - including some serious heat in an AR.

I hate to sound like a product shill; but the SLIP2000 line is very good stuff. It surpasses the milspec for CLP on all counts, is non-toxic, not based on petroleum distillates, doesn't smell bad, and can be dumped down the toilet because it is biodegradable. I've used Breakfree since 1988 and never had a complaint. I am also a big skeptic of wonder-gun cleaning products (as my older posts here and elsewhere show)  but this stuff is simply better.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've used Breakfree since 1988 and never had a complaint. I am also a big skeptic of wonder-gun cleaning products (as my older posts here and elsewhere show)  but this stuff is simply better.

I'm going to take that as a high recommendation and give some SLIP 2000 CLP a try... thanks for the very informative post, BR...

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
in the AR I use mobil 1, everthing else  use FP10
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
BreakFree CLP...

+1  It's all you need.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Another thankyou BR.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Isn't SLIP2000 just a cleaner?  I thought being water based, that after you clean with it, you need to dry the parts and follow up with a protectant and lube.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Isn't SLIP2000 just a cleaner?  I thought being water based, that after you clean with it, you need to dry the parts and follow up with a protectant and lube.

SLIP2000 is actually a brand and they market a bunch of different products under that brand. Their CLP product is called "SLIP 2000 Gun Lubricant" but actually is a CLP type product that exceeds the milspec for CLP in all three areas. They even post the independent laboratory tests for the protection and lubricant certification. They don't have any documentation for the cleaning; but it was a dramatic enough difference on my AR that I didn't need any further convincing that it beat the original CLP.

They also make a Carbon Cutter product, which I have ordered but not tried out yet and a 725 Degreaser product that they sent me as a free sample with my order. Near as I can tell, the 725 is like a biodegradeable gun scrubber that can be used on wood and plastic (though I haven't tested it to see if it eats the plastic around my night sights like Gun Scrubber does) but without the smell and fumes. It has an orange tint to it and smells like citrus so it may be some type of Simple Green-like degreaser.

Both of the Carbon Cutter and 725 Degreaser mentioned above are water-based and will strip all lubes from the gun so you have to follow up with a gun oil. According to the instructions, the Carbon Cutter can also rust parts left to soak in it unless they are completely covered and no part of it is exposed to air. I originally ordered the Carbon Cutter because SLIP 2000 seemed to be working well as a lube and a product where I could just drop the bolt into a jar, pull it out 5-10min later and wipe it off sounded pretty neat. If I had known how well the SLIP2000 CLP was going to work in removing carbon after it soaked in, I probably wouldn't have ordered it as now it seems like overkill.

I would add one caveat, like most other CLPs, SLIP2000 doesn't seem to do much about copper fouling.

O and if you contact them, they will send you a free sample of the SLIP2000 CLP. The sample is too incredibly tiny tubes that don't look like they could coat a pair of scissors; but I managed to clean 2 ARs, an additional bolt carrier group, a Browning Hi-Power and I still have some of the sample left over.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#24]
That answers it.  I was thinking about the carbon cutter, didn't realize they also made a CLP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
BreakFree CLP...

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#26]
As far as these lubs, where are you guys putting it on? I'm assuming that you use these lubs on the bolt to make it slide more smoothly.... where else? And are you guys using different products as "cleaners"...i.e. to put on a patch and run down the bore? In other words...

Give me a quick little lub/cleaner tutorial on what you guys are doing to maintain your ARs.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Pat Rogers let me use his Slip 2000 and Degreaser overnight between a carbine class and a pistol class in August.  I cleaned three carbines and three 1911's in less than an hour.  Water-based and envirnmentally friendly, it did not make a mess of my hands as petroleum-based lubriants do.  When  got home,  sold all my pre-Y2K CLP and USGI bore cleaner and placed an order for a gallon of SLIP 2000, two cans of 725 abd a 6 oz. jar of carbo cutter.  Great stuff!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree with the ability of CLP to apparently "draw" gook out of metal.  I just bought a Colt from a guy who notoriously doesn't care for his weapons (he's an LEO, and they're just "tools" to him, but they're babies for me).  I spent HOURS cleaning it (not sure it had ever been cleaned) and was hurt to see that his tactical sling had apparently trapped moisture in the front sling attachment, and caused it to rust.  I have also noticed in the last 2 weeks of CLP soaking that rust is oozing out from between the barrel and the front sight post!  Not much, but apparently there's a bit of rust in there, which I wipe off and recoat with CLP every few days.  And CLP is chasing it out.  Amazing.  I just hope there's no pitting under there.  I have never used any other solvent or lubricant that will do that.  SOA
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
As far as these lubs, where are you guys putting it on? I'm assuming that you use these lubs on the bolt to make it slide more smoothly.... where else? And are you guys using different products as "cleaners"...i.e. to put on a patch and run down the bore? In other words...

Give me a quick little lub/cleaner tutorial on what you guys are doing to maintain your ARs.

Thanks.

Follow the instructions here:
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf

Submariner:
Hey, at least you could have told the rest of us. Except for a comment by Pat Rogers and a few other people, I had never heard of the stuff until recently.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I use FP-10.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Gimme FP10 or Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My brother was in the middle east beach for 18 months.  He likes REM OIL.  
He didn't use CLP  (BREAKFREE) unless he had to.  

Rem Oil Sucks.......I've had good luck with FP10 and Tetra Oil.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have also noticed in the last 2 weeks of CLP soaking that rust is oozing out from between the barrel and the front sight post!  Not much, but apparently there's a bit of rust in there, which I wipe off and recoat with CLP every few days.  And CLP is chasing it out.  Amazing.  I just hope there's no pitting under there.  I have never used any other solvent or lubricant that will do that.  SOA

Thats not rust.  That is leftover crap from parkerization.  This topic comes up from time to time.  Same thing will happen when you get a new barrel real hot for the first time.... looks like brown rusty grease coming out from under there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#34]
So "CLP" is a type of cleaner and not just another name for BREAKFREE?

I'm really enjoying this thread and learning alot.

Thanks guys!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So "CLP" is a type of cleaner and not just another name for BREAKFREE?

I'm really enjoying this thread and learning alot.

Thanks guys!  

CLP is a specification the military sent out for a Cleaner, Lubricant, and Protectant that could be used on all small arms. The company that won the original bid went on to sell the same product as Breakfree on the civilian market; but since then many other companies have attempted to crack the market - there is a specific spec for it MIL-SPEC-63460D.

I generally use CLP to refer to any product that is designed to be a one-size-fits-all gun cleaning product and claims to provide all three of those qualities; but because Breakfree is the producer of the original CLP, it has become synonymous with Breakfree.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Mobil 1
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Eezox
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Submariner:
Hey, at least you could have told the rest of us.  Except for a comment by Pat Rogers and a few other people, I had never heard of the stuff until recently.

Please forgive me for I have sinned.

Pat Rogers' testimonial.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I am pretty fond of 'Honeymoon Helper' myself  !!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If we could try to have a serious discussion in the AR forum...

sorry  Lumpy196,

I just could not resist the lead in
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If we could try to have a serious discussion in the AR forum...

CLP for most applications.

Slip2000 for dirty environments.

Lumpy, I'm curious if you have had some experience with SLIP2000/CLP that made you qualify as noted above. Why not just use SLIP2000 all the time?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I know that I'm really showing my age (and old fashioned ideas) now, but I still use LSA for the carrier/receiver interface.

I've used it most of my life and it's always worked...

That's good enough for me.

However, if it was really dry and sandy or really cold and icy, I'd modify my lube somewhat.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Mobil 1

+1 for Mobil 1.  I have been using it the past year on one of my AR's and just CLP on a another.  Yes CLP is a great cleaner, but I have been really impressed with the Mobil 1 as a lube.  I shoot the two guns about the same, and have noticed more wear on the CLP AR than the Mobil 1 AR.  From the results of my little un-scientific experiment, I am really considering Mobil 1 for all my guns.  But I will probably always "clean" them with CLP...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
ky jelly
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
ky jelly

Not to bust your balls too hard; but you are the third person to make that joke and the first person made it nine hours ago. Has some basic element of humor changed that repeating the same obvious joke for the third time now registers as funny instead of lame?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Lumpy,

Slip2000 for the dirtier environments?

I'm about to try some, and before I buy too much why do you say it's better for the down and dirty?

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Lumpy,

Slip2000 for the dirtier environments?

I'm about to try some, and before I buy too much why do you say it's better for the down and dirty?

-Jim

Jim, all you have to do to get a free sample is contact them via the "Contact Us" section of their website and request one. They'll send you enough to easily do two ARs and have some left over. If you like it after that you can buy some.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top