Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2013 12:38:04 PM EDT
Is it just an AR with a rifle length gas system but 16 in barrel instead of 20in??  Anything else?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
16 carbine gas rifle I have seen mids also with a A frame gas block positioned at the rifle length position to capture handguards.

Increase sight radius and length of handguards.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
16 carbine gas rifle I have seen mids also with a A frame gas block positioned at the rifle length position to capture handguards.

Increase sight radius and length of handguards.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
A photo is worth a thousand words in this case.  I think you get the idea now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
OR a photo is worth zero words  Are they BOTH dissipators?  Two differnt barrel lengths and two diff gas tube lengths.  Only similarity is the front sight post is all the way forward and is not part of the gas system, is that what makes a dissipator???

ETA: A dissipator has a fixed front sight as far forward as possibe irrespective of the gas tube?  Or sight as far forward as possible that is not part of the gas tube.  I still don't know......  Does gas tube length have anything to do with it (ie could be carbine or mid length but NOT rifle length?)
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
It is a specific barrel profile (you have to have the right sized location for the front sight base) and gas and sight configuration.  It just designates the FSB is not being used as a gas block, is moved forward so the bayonet mount is useless (except for accessories), and is normally using stock style hand guards/delta rings.  You can have an 16,18 inch or 20 inch length barrel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OR a photo is worth zero words  Are they BOTH dissipators?  Two differnt barrel lengths and two diff gas tube lengths.  Only similarity is the front sight post is all the way forward and is not part of the gas system, is that what makes a dissipator???

ETA: A dissipator has a fixed front sight as far forward as possibe irrespective of the gas tube?  Or sight as far forward as possible that is not part of the gas tube.  I still don't know......  Does gas tube length have anything to do with it (ie could be carbine or mid length but NOT rifle length?)
View Quote

Its all about the handguards & front sight base....dissy or disipator has them in the rifle position and the Kino in the middie position

Dissipator had a 16" barrel and was carbine gassed I think the Kino was/is a 11.5" barrel and is carbine gassed as well ....(iirc)

There is a blurring here of the original "Dissipator" made by Bushmaster and the Kino put out by BCM

Anybody can make whatever they want and use different barrel lengths and fsb lengths and free float handguards and call it anything they want to....

The original Bushmaster "Dissipator" was a 16" carbine gassed rifle using a shaved down GI FSB as a gas block under the handguards with a complete GI FSB Tower in the rifle length position as well as using rifle length handguards.

People started using the term "Dissy" to distinguish other versions of the original Bushmaster "Dissapator" concept.... I think this is where confusion creeps in
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually a real dissy was a 20" cut to 16" and retaining the functional rifle length gas system and fsb. a mock dissy is 16" bbl with a non functional. fsb at rifle gas length and a lo pro gas block under handguards at carbine or mid gas length. dissys are not 18"or20"or anything other than 16" technically.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 @nateebobo
this is my understanding as well
I love my 16'', carbine gassed, mock dissipator.  It works for me!
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah at this point it's like Kleenex, a trade name that's lost meaning.  I think of it generically as describing a barrel profile, and not the bushmaster rifle or the original modifications that predated it . Anything can be created/cut though.   There have been 18 inch versions and 20 inch versions with the FSB way out at the end of the barrel.  It's just semantics on what is called what.  It'll only get weirder as time goes on..  (I should trademark ODDissy now.)
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The original term Dissapator was used by Bushmaster.  It was a 16" barrel with a factory front sight based located at the rifle gas position.  I believe the Bushmaster model used a carbine gas system.  

The Colt Model that is similar to the Dissapator was the model 605 and it used a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel.

Model 605-

Model 601-

Bushmaster owns the name Dissapator and therefore the only length a Dissapator can be is 16".  Not 18" or 20".  There have been plenty of odd duck rifles built over the years and I have seen a TON of "race guns, Space guns, or Match rifles" that have 18" or 20" barrels with a front sight at the end of the barrel.  These days plenty of companies make mock Dissapators and those are commonly referred to as a Dissy or even Dissapator, but again the second is technically a trademark name.

Personally I am partial to the Mid length Dissy.  I own and have built a couple and currently have two of them.

Race/Space/Match gun-

My Dissys-

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I Dissipator is an AR-15 with Rifle length gas with a 16" barrel...the gas port is opened up to allow for the proper gas impingement. This allows for minimal felt recall and extended sight radius similar to an M16 but with a shorter overall length rifle.

So basically with a "Mock" dissipator (carbine or middy with a sight block) you receive nothing but the improved sight radius and cosmetic appeal.

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]
If were being picky and playing word games...might be worth noting that DTI s gun has rifle length gas and is also called "dissipator" it is also still in production, unlike the BM.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If were being picky and playing word games...might be worth noting that DTI s gun has rifle length gas and is also called "dissipator" it is also still in production, unlike the BM.
View Quote

Just checked under the handguards, and my DTI  has a rifle length gas system.  Bought it as a kit from Midway during their 4th of July sale.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually a real dissy was a 20" cut to 16" and retaining the functional rifle length gas system and fsb. a mock dissy is 16" bbl with a non functional. fsb at rifle gas length and a lo pro gas block under handguards at carbine or mid gas length. dissys are not 18"or20"or anything other than 16" technically.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#18]
If I had to give some sort of answer in for my job I would describe it something like this;

The dissipator is a gas operated, air cooled, magazine fed, semi automatic, shoulder fired weapon that fires the 5.56mm NATO cartridge. It utilizes a shorter gas system i.e. carbine or midlength , uses a front sight tower of some form and has rifle length handguards. It may have a collapsible or fixed butt stock and utilizes any common rear sight or upper receiver  to the AR platform such as A1, A2 or BUIS when a Railed upper receiver is used.

I know stupid military answer.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nope.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I Dissipator is an AR-15 with Rifle length gas with a 16" barrel...the gas port is opened up to allow for the proper gas impingement. This allows for minimal felt recall and extended sight radius similar to an M16 but with a shorter overall length rifle.

So basically with a "Mock" dissipator (carbine or middy with a sight block) you receive nothing but the improved sight radius and cosmetic appeal.

Nope.

uhhh...YEP!
Read here and learn...

More...

Colt Model 605a...

Here is mine...
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The top upper is a BCM Dissipator. That is a 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, and the front sight base set to use rifle length hand guards. They only made a few, and never sold any.

The bottom upper is a BCM Kino. That is a 12.5" barrel. The gas port is the standard carbine length gas system, with the front sight base set out to use mid length hand guards.

It is the same concept, scaled down.

The original design used the carbine length gas system. The additional front sight base was set out to duplicate the sight radius of a rifle length gas system. The design gave you a longer sight radius, and the hand guards covered the gas block, so the hottest part of the barrel was covered to avoid burning your hands. Since the first ones were fixed carry handle uppers, the longer sight radius made a lot of sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The top upper is a BCM Dissipator. That is a 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, and the front sight base set to use rifle length hand guards. They only made a few, and never sold any.

The bottom upper is a BCM Kino. That is a 12.5" barrel. The gas port is the standard carbine length gas system, with the front sight base set out to use mid length hand guards.

The original design used the carbine length gas system. The additional front sight base was set out to duplicate the sight radius of a rifle length gas system. The design gave you a longer sight radius, and the hand guards covered the gas block, so the hottest part of the barrel was covered to avoid burning your hands. Since the first ones were fixed carry handle uppers, the longer sight radius made a lot of sense.

So Wrong...
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So Wrong...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Wrong...

You're considering two different rifle designs as being the same thing.

The Model 605 was one of Colt's early attempts to make a carbine by cutting down a rifle barrel, which you already know about. They were at no time ever called a dissipator.  Other people have created "dissipators" out of rifle barrels in the same style, but the name is erroneously applied to them.  

Bushmaster concocted the name and other than some of their earliest rifles, they were commonly 16" M4 pattern barrels with a carbine length gas system, having the fsb cut down into a lopro gas block, and a second FSB added at the rifle position. The name has become synonymous with any carbine ARs with rifle handguards regardless of gas system, but to quote Sheldon Cooper "All Jacuzzis are hot tubs, but not all hot tubs are Jacuzzis"
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Model 605 was one of Colt's early attempts to make a carbine by cutting down a rifle barrel, which you already know about. They were at no time ever called a dissipator.  Other people have created "dissipators" out of rifle barrels in the same style, but the name is erroneously applied to them.  

Bushmaster concocted the name, and other than some of their earliest rifles, they were commonly 16" M4 pattern barrels with a carbine length gas system, having the fsb cut down into a lopro gas block, and a second FSB added at the rifle position. The name has become synonymous with any carbine ARs with rifle handguards regardless of gas system, but to quote Sheldon Cooper "All Jacuzzis are hot tubs, but not all hot tubs are Jacuzzis"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Wrong...

Bushmaster concocted the name, and other than some of their earliest rifles, they were commonly 16" M4 pattern barrels with a carbine length gas system, having the fsb cut down into a lopro gas block, and a second FSB added at the rifle position. The name has become synonymous with any carbine ARs with rifle handguards regardless of gas system, but to quote Sheldon Cooper "All Jacuzzis are hot tubs, but not all hot tubs are Jacuzzis"

The 605 was the original attempt at a carbine legnth rifle with rifle gas...never called a dissipator. The term "dissipator" was introduced by Bushmaster when they released a rifle with carbine gas and rifle hand guard & sight radius. So yes...bushmaster created the first "dissipator", but the bushmaster dissipator was designed around the Colt 605a concept without the rifle gas and all of the malfunction.

I do believe that when someone refers to a "dissipator", they are referring to a 16" barreled AR15 with rifle gas (12") & "A" framed front gas block....not the bushmaster rifle modeled around the colt 605a.

So yes...you are correct.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Considering the talk of the Model 605 (a favorite of mine), I have a small bit of digression from the topic just for giggles. Did you know that somewhere in Colt's attempts to create carbines there was a model less familiar than the 605, 607, 609, and the 629? It was thefirst mid-length carbine. You could say that Colt originated the mid-length gas system, though the modern middie differs from Colt's attempt. They truly beat all of the current market trends to the punch, didn't they?

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Considering the talk of the Model 605 (a favorite of mine), I have a small bit of digression from the topic just for giggles. Did you know that somewhere in Colt's attempts to create carbines there was a model less familiar than the 605, 607, 609, and the 629? It was thefirst mid-length carbine. You could say that Colt originated the mid-length gas system, though the modern middie differs from Colt's attempt. They truly beat all of the current market trends to the punch, didn't they?

View Quote

They sure did...Makes me want a Colt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top