Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:15:00 AM EDT
And why is it a bad thing for Colt sporter carriers?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It's an AR15 hammer that has a notch intended to snag on the firing pin (preventing hammer follow) if your disconnector fails.  This is to prevent you spending 10 years in jail if the ATF decides that your worn out disconnector turns your AR-15 into a machinegun.   This feature doesn't work with "enhanced" carriers that save the manufacturer a little money by not milling out the bolt carrier to expose the firing pin's collar.

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/hammers/

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You know...  all the years I've been on this site and the previous versions of this site, I never knew that until a day or two ago.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
So I shouldn't use a Colt Sporter bolt/carrier assembly with a hammer like this one? Only reason is if my disconnector wears out, right?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top