Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2008 11:36:44 PM EDT
It looks like copper but it is not copper? Is Bi-metal any good? Does is cause more wear on the barrel? Do you clean it as you would with a copper solvent? Thanks!

P.S. I just bought a few cases of 223 and 7.62 and noticed it sais "bi-metal" jacket.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It's an alloy that contains "soft iron" and is usally copper coated.  

It's fine for keeping prices down.  It will not harm your barrel or cause accellerated wear.  

Clean as you would to remove normal copper jacket fouling, as that's what the deposits will consist of primarily.  

Bullets of this construction are more prone to sparking on impact and can cause brush fires in dry areas, especially out west.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]
In Europe this bi-metal jacket is called 'tombac'. You may find out more by searching for that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Tonbak.
Tombac is an alloy of copper and zinc. This alloy is used by Russia in making medals (The 1980 Olympic 'Bronze' Medals were actually Tombac medals). During World War II, the same alloy was used to mint Canadian nickels.

Tombac is an alloy formed from copper (84 - 90%) and zinc (10 - 16%) - The addition of arsenic produces White Tombac. It is also used in the manufacture of projectiles at Barnaul Machine Tool-Plant Zavod, in Russia. Tombac is bonded in a heat process with steel to produce a bi-metallic projectile, giving the appearance of a copper jacket but having the added strength of steel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#4]
So no ecellerated wear on the bore? That is good! Is all Wolf ammo bi-metal? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So no ecellerated wear on the bore? That is good! Is all Wolf ammo bi-metal? Thanks!

All Russian manufactured Wolf is I believe...the Serbian branded Wolf (which is actually Prvi) is not bi-metal, but I've never taken a magnet to it either.

Link Posted: 11/2/2008 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My 223 55gr and 62gr FMJ/HP of Brown bear and Silver bear have bi-metal bullets and a magnet sticks to them. The black box Wolf 223 that I have doesn't stick FWIW. Only draw back I notice is that the local shooting range doesn't let you use the bi-metal stuff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top