Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 7:47:29 PM EDT
IF somebody were to make a semiauto capable 50BMG upper for the AR15 using M82 mags........ Potentially, with a DIAS, or maaaybe a Registerd Reciever, (if you dont mind swapping out the bolt release.......... Cheap 50 machine gun??????????????????? flame suit on...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Here, this is for you:
Better get in...

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Here, this is for you:
Better get in...

i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/gi57/bolt/suit.jpg

awesome, i guess now would be the wrong time to mention i AM a firefighter? but in all seriousness
for the recoil, considering how hard the damn thing would kick anyway, the whole assembly would be mounted on some sort of pintle.... so potentially a longer tube and spring, and a heavy as shit buffer might do the trick. and for those that are wondering, i was thinking about having the magazine mount either on the side like the ferret 50(i think?) or better yet, inverted, loading through the top... solving any potential feed issues............. now who do i have to talk to to get my ideas on paper, and eventually forged in steel?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Why? 50bmg is a long range round, so a top feeding mag wouldn't be so great. What's  wrong with a .50 Beowulf (knock down power) or .308/6.5/6.8 (long range) that are already available in an AR platform. I just don't see any practical need/use for a semi auto entry-type shoulder-fired .50bmg especially full auto!

If you own a machine shop, want a new toy and have free time, knowledge/skill, and money, why not?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
MGI Hydra lower with RDIAS, KNS spade grips mounted on a pintle?  

Seems a bit excessive, no?  

It'd be interesting to see what you would use as an upper, that would not only feed from a box magazine, while mounted to an AR lower, while using the RDIAS to make it run automatic.  

Seems like way much more work and money investment, for way too few interested parties to bother with, but if you've got the means and desire, who should we be to discourage you?  

Personally, if I wanted so bad to fire .50 on auto, I'd weasel my way somehow behind a Ma Deuce.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
well, I have a 50 mounted on my Humvee..... I was just kinda wondering if my harebrained idea would work or not
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IF somebody were to make a semiauto capable 50BMG upper for the AR15 using M82 mags........ Potentially, with a DIAS, or maaaybe a Registerd Reciever, (if you dont mind swapping out the bolt release.......... Cheap 50 machine gun??????????????????? flame suit on...

I would shoot that..Without hesitation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
well, I have a 50 mounted on my Humvee..... I was just kinda wondering if my harebrained idea would work or not

Well, its an idea...  First the .50 round would need an improved recoil assembly, or a much larger buffer extension due to the recoil of the .50.  You would need a giant BCG and bolt to pull it off.  Next how are you going to get it to feed, side, maybe? Top is sorta ruled out unless you offset the sights, which would be weird...

I guess the only way I could see a AR lower made into a semi-auto .50 would be to make some contraption it connects to the bottom with the take down pins and just use the lower as a fire control group for the host action.  I'm not saying its not possible, but it sure would be a PITA to design and chances of it not cracking the lower or kB!ing in your face would scare me.  (I'll say its not possible so someone gets pissed and builds one just to spite me so I can see it.)

But in ARFCOM tradition, I took some pictures of  an AR and a .50 round...

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't reinvent the wheel cave boy.  Get a semi-auto M2 and experiment with the 1919 $250 metal crank.  ROF would probably be close to full auto if the crank could be adapted to the M2.  That's where I'd spend the time and $.  A system that already exists and is strong enough for the big .50 BMG.

http://www.1919a4.com/reviews/handcrank/
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Next how are you going to get it to feed, side, maybe? Top is sorta ruled out unless you offset the sights, which would be weird  COOL...

Like a BREN

But I agree with the above poster about the semi M2HB and the crankfire.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
if you want a great short range round that has plenty of knock down power up close (50 feet) a full power 10mm is the ticket a 180 grain HP at 1400 fps would hit hard and have good recoil.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I was thinking of buying some size 6 boots. I actually wear a size 12 1/2, but I was wondering if I could comfortably wear the 6's?  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The AR platform is great.  But, it's a bit silly for companies to continue trying to make it the "be-all/end-all" weapon.  There are just some things that it can't or shouldn't do.  This is one of them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure if you could make the magwell long enough and have a long, beefy upper with a really strong BCG and buffer, it shouldn't be hard.

It would be sweet to try to rig up a link feeding system too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#14]
50 cal M2 crankfire on youtube  -- it's what you need! Second morgage the single-wide and gets some ammo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A0C5ab8ywU&feature=related
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top