Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 9:37:02 AM EDT
Hey, I noticed there is a C and H molded into my carry handle.  The upper is an A1 style with forward assist but no shell deflector.  It's sort of a funny grey color, not the darker black of my Oly lower.  What do those letters indicate?  Maybe nothing?  I also noticed some letters (forgot them though) in a stop sign looking symbol on my bolt carrier, what does that mean?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Go look here.[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/[/url]and here.[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I think my bolt may be the 'SE' one.  Thanks for that link.  Anyone know about the carry handle marks?  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Added another link on uppers,shows Colt/Harvey.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
And the color difference is usual.  Colt's anodizing of the M16, M16A1, and SP1 was of a much lighter shade of gray than what they, and everybody else, has been using in more recent years. In fact, you can almost date the production of a Colt piece by the shade of the Aluminum recievers.

As an example, I have a very early M16 Air Force contract upper that is a very close match for the WW2 gray/green parkerized finishes used on M1 rifles.  My SP1, made in the mid 1970s, is somewhat darker, and the very late M16A1 upper, probably produced just before the adoption of the M16A2, is dark enough to almost be a natch for the late model Bushmaster lower it's on.

Just one of the things you live with if, like me, you're into the early style ARs, but have to build them up on current lowers, 'cause you can't afford preban lowers which might color match them better[:D]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, this thing doesn't come close to matching my black Oly lower.  What the heck is a Colt/Harvey upper doing on my Oly lower anyhow?  Did Oly buy from Colt?  (my oly is a 91 SGW)  Is this upper, being a 1st run according to that cool website, desirable or is it just another Colt upper?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Go look here.www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/and here.www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/

That info helps but not much at all...
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey, I noticed there is a [size=4][red]C[/red][/size=4] and [size=4][red]H[/red][/size=4] molded into my [size=4][red]C[/red]arry [red]H[/red]andle.[/size=4]  The upper is an A1 style with forward assist but no shell deflector.  It's sort of a funny grey color, not the darker black of my Oly lower.  What do those letters indicate?  Maybe nothing?  I also noticed some letters (forgot them though) in a stop sign looking symbol on my bolt carrier, what does that mean?
View Quote

Just a thought... [;D]

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes sense to me. LOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:18:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, this thing doesn't come close to matching my black Oly lower.  What the heck is a Colt/Harvey upper doing on my Oly lower anyhow?  Did Oly buy from Colt?  (my oly is a 91 SGW)  Is this upper, being a 1st run according to that cool website, desirable or is it just another Colt upper?
View Quote

It's somebody's built up job, almost certainly; just like mine are[:D].

Personally, I'd pay a few bucks more for it than if it was all Oly, simply because I believe that Colt makes better barrels than Oly; but I don't think you can call it a collectors item.  Right now, with all kinds of GI surp 16 and 16A1 uppers, barrels etc on the surplus marke, you're going to see a fair number of pieces around with this combination of aftermarket lowers and Colt uppers on the market for awhile.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey, I noticed there is a C and H molded into my carry handle.  The upper is an A1 style with forward assist but no shell deflector.  It's sort of a funny grey color, not the darker black of my Oly lower.  What do those letters indicate?  Maybe nothing?  I also noticed some letters (forgot them though) in a stop sign looking symbol on my bolt carrier, what does that mean?
View Quote

Colt Harvey aluminum co.
Colt machined, Harvey Aluminum co. forging.

Bolt carrier is Smith Enterprises.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I think we've got it figured out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top