Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 1:58:38 AM EDT
As the Rifle and a Carbine correctly refers to:
AR - ARMALITE, ARMALITE RIFLE, ASSAULT RIFLE, AUTOMATIC RIFLE?
CAR - COLT A... R..., CARBINE A... R...?
Many thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
AR: I want to say that AR simply stands for Armalite.....Armalite also made small survival rifles, shotguns and a few other things and they were all labled "AR-XX"  So I am pretty sure it simply stands for Armalite.

CAR:  darn it...I forgot...and I lent my "Black Rifle" book out.....

someone who really knows will be around soon to explain it, stay tuned
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
"Just" for the sake of a bump, maybe it stands for Carbine AR, but then again, does HBAR stand for Heavy Barrel AR or Heavy BARrel? I have also forgot.

Bill
Buy what you want and shoot what you have.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thought C.A.R. stood for "Colt Automatic Rifle", or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Total Silence - CAR-15 History

Read the last paragraph....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
On my Colt 6724,  which has "CAR-A3" stamped on the receiver, I believe and according to Colts web site to term CAR stands for "Colt's Accurized Rifle"  which is the 6724 - Also, the term HBAR on the 6724 stands for "Heavy Barrel AR" - Which is confused more by the term CAR15 - Colts Automatic Rifle. I gather when you use the term "CAR" it would be easier to use the model number rather then CAR which would confuse one model for another.........Oh, well...........Nothing like a straight answer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It means carbine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It means carbine.

My 6724 CAR-A3 is not a carbine - It has 24 inches of barrel to prove it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On my Colt 6724,  which has "CAR-A3" stamped on the receiver, I believe and according to Colts web site to term CAR stands for "Colt's Accurized Rifle"  which is the 6724 - Also, the term HBAR on the 6724 stands for "Heavy Barrel AR" - Which is confused more by the term CAR15 - Colts Automatic Rifle. I gather when you use the term "CAR" it would be easier to use the model number rather then CAR which would confuse one model for another.........Oh, well...........Nothing like a straight answer.

Colt's branding of the CAR-A3 is marketingspeak.  The "CAR" tag came before Colt used it.  Not knocking Colt here, just noting that marketing is deep in the brand name selection process.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt's branding of the CAR-A3 is marketingspeak.  The "CAR" tag came before Colt used it.  Not knocking Colt here, just noting that marketing is deep in the brand name selection process.

Like I said, nothing like a straight answer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Dear Friends!
I write the book on a history of rifle AR-15/M16 in Russian - "The United States Rifle".
I have studied many materials in English and Russian. Anywhere there is no correct name AR and CAR!
I can not find the full name of three programs which materials are used at creation M16:
SALVO - creation of a bullet;
NIBLICK - grenade for a rifle;
ALCLAD - creation of an optimum individual defence for the infantryman.

Forgive my English. I well read, I translate h.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top