Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:34:40 PM EDT
Are caldwell bags just about the only choice out there?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d like to get some real military sand bags for the range and fill them with rice. The Highway Department here uses them to hold signs down along the roads. I saw a few unused ones a few months back laying along the road. By the time the idea dawned on me to grab them up for the range, they were gone!  

My scrounge-foo was weak!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at the rifle "sand bags",  and to me they just want way too much money for what it is........I made my own, by cutting the pants legs off some old jeans, filled them up with sand, sewed it shut,  and it works just as well as the high priced pretty ones they want 22 dollars and up,

of course now that you metioned rice, that would be a lot lighter then sand ones........except I would be carefull about getting them wet.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
made my own with Denim cloth, camo from walmart, and sand
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
of course now that you metioned rice, that would be a lot lighter then sand ones........except I would be carefull about getting them wet.

Shit if they get wet at the range......... you got supper!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the legs from a pair of old jeans and filled them with cat litter.  Got four bags out of a pair of jeans.  The cat litter is fairly light and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Old bluejean legs.  Cut off, have them sewn shut except for a 1" fill hole.  Get a bag of playground sand at Lowes or Home Depot and go for it.

Lots of folks use rice or plastic peanuts instead, but I like the weight of sand.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Empty 25lb shot bags filled with kitty litter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a U.S. border patrol sniper with his M24 out at our range a few weeks ago.  He showed me what they use for a stock support bag.

Swipe some black stocking panty hose from your wife, mom, significant other…etc.  Pour in some rice, tie it off, pull the extra stocking over again for a double layer and tie it off again.  Super cheap and the rifle will “set” in the rice much better than a sand bag.  I guess if you get hungry enough, you have a MRE too.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Old jeans and rice. hell thats worth a try.

I have four Caldwells at the moment
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
tube sock with rice hulls...when it wears out a grab another sock.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a bag called a bull bag from midway. Almost works as well as a clamp type rest. I shoot much better with it than I do with regular sand bags. If I am at a range with a low bench I set it on top of a usgi ammo can turned on its side.  Sorry, wrong rifle for the forum, but only picture I have with the bag.
http://www.texastradingpost.com/20046140938_Dsc00034.jpg
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
i have one of these for use in the rear when shooting off a bipod

redman's bean bag
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell, I just bought a San Angelo Suede bag from Academy sports for $9.00.

That beats the hell out of cutting, sewing, (when I don't know how) and having to answer everyone at the range what the hell I did.

If you really want to go for bargain basement, why not the bags of rice w/o the denim?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#15]
this has got me thinking. I work at a bank and I'm gonna try to swipe (ehh.. borrow) a couple of the cloth bags we used to send coin to the fed in. We use plastic bags now and there's alot of these canvas bags sitting around. I'll let you guys know how it works if I can get my grubby hands on em.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I'm going to get some sand bags and fill them with either poly beads or sand then toss the bags inside a canvas tool bag i have.  

I was looking at sand bags and they're .25 each but shipping for 5 of them is 6.25
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
this has got me thinking. I work at a bank..............

Take your rifle with you to work and try the bags out there!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I looked at the rifle "sand bags",  and to me they just want way too much money for what it is........I made my own, by cutting the pants legs off some old jeans, filled them up with sand, sewed it shut,  and it works just as well as the high priced pretty ones they want 22 dollars and up,

Yup, denim makes good bags. I have about 8 of them that I sewed myself.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#19]
sew? that's women's work!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top