Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 8:41:24 AM EDT
Hello,

I have been cruising these forums for a while, and it is finally time for me to start an AR15 project. My plan and eventual goal is to build an AR with preferred parts. This is to give me an opportunity to pay for a rifle over the course of a few months, allow me to learn about the gun by building it up from parts, and convince my better half that I am not dropping a grand on a gun all at one time. Plus, this was I get to call it "My Gun Project", and hobbies are known to keep troublemakers like myself out of trouble.

I have searched through this forum looking at everything and I have learned a great deal. However, I have not found a thread that accurately details all of the pieces I will need.

So far I know I need:
Stripped lower receiver
lower parts kit
stripped barrel
stripped upper receiver
stock
charging handle
Bolt assembly

Are there any parts I am missing? Or is there something I should purchase seperately, such as breaking down the bolt assembly into smaller and more affordable pieces?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help on this.

Thank You,

-Nemo

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Your list is pretty through. In addition to the things you have listed you'll need to some handguards and a gas tube and gas tube pin that fits your barrel (rifle, carbine, etc.). You most likely don't want a "stripped" barrel unless your planning on freefloating and have the expertise to fit a front sight base. A stripped barrel would need to have a barrel nut, FSB and front cap ordered for it. Possibly you'd need a front sight post and spring too. You'll also want a delta ring kit.

Typically buying bit piece is not the most cost effective way to buy parts. For instance, off the Bushy site, you can pick up an M4 profile 16" barrel kit for $220. The barrel by itself for $195. Even a cheap set of handguards will run you $20 alone. Not to mention front sight parts, gas tube and pin, delta ring, etc.

Shop the EE and you'll find some good deals in there. If you've not read the FAQ in the Build it yourself do so. It will answer 99.9% of your questions. Come back here for anything else.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you are in the same boat as I am HA HA! Depending on the upper, a rear sight block or optic with mounts. A good barrel wrench and an upper vise clamp for assembly. Oh and dont forget a few 30rd mags! Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
On your list you listed stripped upper receiver but you didn't list down the other details needed to assemble it.

You will need the following to complete your stripped upper receiver:

Ejection Port Cover Retaining Ring  
Ejection Port Cover Pin  
Ejection Port Cover Helical Spring  
Ejection Port Cover
Forward Assist Retaining Pin  
Forward Assist Assembly  
Forward Assist Helical Compression Spring  
Upper Receiver  

Here are some links to this sites Information - Guides - Parts Diagrams

or just click Information tab and then Guides:

www.ar15.com/content/guides/parts/upper.html

www.ar15.com/content/guides/parts/lower.html

There is a tacked thread "Assemble Your Own Upper, Lower, ...(etc)" in this same Build it Yourself board, lots of good tips there.

The Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) could be bought in two pieces, the bolt carrier assembly and the bolt assembly.

If you could find them cheaper separately then buy them separately, just compare prices of separate and the whole BCG (group) before you buy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You have some good advice there already.

I'll just add:elcome to the site. (Both of you).

Gene
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top