[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
There is more surface area. This may help cooling
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heavy, rigid barrel with weight reduction.
View Quote
Looks cool too.

For accuracy, I am a big believer in heavy profile barrels. The proof is in the results. Flutes let you keep the benefits of a heavy barrel when it comes to hitting small, far away targets through long strings of fire while getting a substantial weight reduction.

I do not think the heat dissipation makes for any practical advantage.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Weight. Heat dissipation. Aesthetics. Everyone should have at least one fluted barrel in their collection.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Fluted barrels same as flat triggers, 6.8spc and 40 cal

But seriously, tests have shown that a same-weight fluted will be more accurate.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Fluted barrels are more rigid than non fluted barrels of the same weight (not profile).
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote
Upping your post count?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Upping your post count?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol
Upping your post count?
No, probably just laughing at how many people will confidently espouse their ideas about fluted barrels not realizing how wrong they are, a few people already have.

Fluted barrels help cool barrels faster by moving more of the surface of the barrel, closer to the inside so heat energy doesn't have to travel as far to get to the surface, not by "increasing surface area" .

Taking a solid barrel and fluting it makes it LESS rigid. As mentioned, equal WEIGHT barrels, the fluted one will be stiffer.

The number one purpose of fluted barrels, especially on AR's is to look cool. If you look at heat curve tests, a standard A1 profile barrel gets up to temp, very quickly, IIRC 120-130 rounds fired quickly, then the rate of heat increase levels out over the next 200 rounds rising at a fraction of the rate it does from cool.

Basically, if you're staying within the designed rate of fire (which is primarily set by chamber temperature, which barrel fluting and weight has less impact on) then fluting really doesn't do much besides reduce barrel stiffness.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
To answer your question, no you probably don't want one.

IMHO's it better to buy the highest quality, lightest, properly de-stressed barrel, than to buy a fluted barrel.

Unless you're going straight for looks with some of the more decorative stuff like  spiral flutes, golf ball dimples or chain links (or just like the look of traditional flutes).

But from a pure performance stand point, nothing is really gained.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all. I found a deal on a free float upper with a fluted barrel. Looks kinda flashy and I'm not really into that. Thought I might be missing out on something.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Heat dissipation, I suppose?

Do I want one?
View Quote
Of course you do, the next question you should be asking is do you have a dremel tool.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
It makes the bullets go faster.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It makes the bullets go faster.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Purely ascetics. While it will reduce weight it also reduces rigidity so the net gain is the same as using a skinnier barrel. Passive fins do not provide any cooling effect. All finned heatsinks require an active airflow to provide any increased cooling. When you remove metal in the fluting you are losing the heatsink effect so the barrel will heat up quicker. Net gain is zero, pure ascetics.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:11:53 AM EDT
[#16]
They let you shoot around corners after the barrel heats up.    
Top Top