Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 3:57:06 PM EDT
I am building a lightweight after much thought. It will primarily be used with open sights but, I would like to retain the ability for easy mounting of optics.

Sooooo, which is lighter, A2 or A3 w/ carry handle attached?

Also, is there a siginicant difference in buttstock weights- M4 v. CAR?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 is lighter thant a flat top w/ carry handle, but probably no lighter than a flat top w/ a Larue BUIS or a cut down carry handle.  An old style CAR stock is an ounce or 2 lighter than a new ribbed style, not enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A2 is lighter thant a flat top w/ carry handle, but probably no lighter than a flat top w/ a Larue BUIS or a cut down carry handle.  An old style CAR stock is an ounce or 2 lighter than a new ribbed style, not enough to worry about.

Here is how it breaks down.

Flattop is 0.6 lbs
A1 is 0.7 lbs.
A2 is 0.8 lbs.

They typical Flip-Up buis is about 2oz (or .1 lbs)  the heaviest I've seen is 5oz

The detachable carry handle is 0.6 lbs.

You can get the weights of this AND MUCH MORE in the Tech Documents section of www.MD-AR15.com.

If you can wait till tomorrow I will be updating the downloadable Excel spread sheet to include even more handguards.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am building a lightweight after much thought. It will primarily be used with open sights but, I would Also, is there a siginicant difference in buttstock weights- M4 v. CAR?

About 1oz - go with the M4.  This weight info of the various stock options can be found above - also it can be found in that site's Product Reviews:Stocks area.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a lot guys- I think I will go with a standard A2.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top