Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 3:25:04 AM EDT
I was looking at this optic and was thinking it might be ok for a carbine barreled AR15 range use. I really need some expert advice befor I buy it.

It will be going on this rifle.

www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU58790/leupold_1-4x20_vx-i_shotgun_muzzleloader_scope.htm

I can also use this as well.

www.riflescopes.com/products/200088/burris_1.75-5x20_fullfield_ii_rifle_scope.htm

Come on guys kick in your expert knowledge Let me know if I am making the right choice. I need a little magnification. I was leaning toward the leupold due the the stoney point target turrets available for it.

Thanks

Chris
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Burris will add target turrets to your scope if you send it back to them. I forget how much it costs. I just bought a burris and plan to do this with it once I feel the need to.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
dcobra23,

I just bought a Leupold VX I Shotgun scope this week.  I haven't put it on an upper yet because the one I want, a 18" SPR from CMMG, is not available yet.

I bought it because it seemed like a good value.  $179 for a Leupold.

I like the heavy duplex. Especially when looking into the woods behind my house.

The 1 power setting is actually more like a 1.5 but you can definitley shoot at that with both eyes open.

Before I bought it I was concerned that the 75 yd parallax setting may be an issue so I posted that question here and didn't get a single response from anyone.  I went to SWFA's forum and read some of their threads and learned that it won't be an issue unless you are a competitive bench rest shooter.  

The literature with the scope claims that all Leupold scopes except the LPS and Rifelman can be sent to the Leupold custom shop to have target turrets installed. I wonder if Premier Reticles would install them on a VXI???

Anyways,  I like it so far and I think it is a pretty good value for someone like me that will use it for plinking, coyotes, and circles drawn on paper.  

Scott

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey I'm glad you posted in the thread. I am ordering it asap. Where did you order it from and what was the price.

Quoted:
dcobra23,

I just bought a Leupold VX I Shotgun scope this week.  I haven't put it on an upper yet because the one I want, a 18" SPR from CMMG, is not available yet.

I bought it because it seemed like a good value.  $179 for a Leupold.

I like the heavy duplex. Especially when looking into the woods behind my house.

The 1 power setting is actually more like a 1.5 but you can definitley shoot at that with both eyes open.

Before I bought it I was concerned that the 75 yd parallax setting may be an issue so I posted that question here and didn't get a single response from anyone.  I went to SWFA's forum and read some of their threads and learned that it won't be an issue unless you are a competitive bench rest shooter.  

The literature with the scope claims that all Leupold scopes except the LPS and Rifelman can be sent to the Leupold custom shop to have target turrets installed. I wonder if Premier Reticles would install them on a VXI???

Anyways,  I like it so far and I think it is a pretty good value for someone like me that will use it for plinking, coyotes, and circles drawn on paper.  

Scott

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Cabelas about 10 miles from my house.  The price was $179.  I actually traded a Taurus .22 revolver in on it so my out of pocket cost was $30.

I may actually check into the Stoney Point turrets you mentioned.

One thing I forgot to mention.  The windage and elevation are 1/2 moa not 1/4.  Don't know if this is an issue for you?  For me it isn't.  Also, they are friction not the usual "clicks".
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
no trouble about the MOA clicks. The stoney point target turrets are 60.00 for the scope.

www.stoneypoint.com/target_knobs_index.html
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the link.

I checked Premier Reticles site and they are not currently accepting any more work.  Besides, they wanted $60 per turret for customer supplied scopes.

I can't imagine that the Leupold custom shop would be much cheaper.  

Tell ya what. The family and I are heading out the door to do the Sunday afternoon shopping/lunch thing.  If I get a chance I will stop by Cabelas and take a look at the Stoney Point turrets.  If I get one I will reply later on tonight to let you know my opinion. I kinda wonder how well they will work with the friction type adjustment.

Later

Scott

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
dcobra23

I made to Cabelas.  Place was packed as usual.  The Stoneypoint target turrets were packaged in a plastic clam shell with staples in all four corners so I couldn't take them out.  I tried to get someone in optics to open up a pack but they were swamped with guys looking at scopes. The turrets seemed nice and heavy, not light weight material.  That is about all I could tell through the plastic.

I myself am going to keep the scope "stock" so to speak.  Just zero it at 50 yds.  

Ya know, there is a thread here somewhere discussing a new line of tactical scopes from Burris based on the FullfieldII.  If you really want target turrets you should check them out.  I think the price was $210 for a 2-7x35.  Midway has them on their website but not in stock.

I don't know too much about Burris quality....maybe someone else here could comment.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Bro ordered the scope, some WARNE MAGNUM SPECIAL APPLICATION SCOPE RINGS mounts today. I figured I might as well go all the way. All for under $300.00. Thanks for all your input and I will shoot some pics and show it when I get done........
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just looking at this scope last night in a Cabelas catalog. I'd like to here a range report when you can.

Does it use 1" or 30mm rings?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Both optics are American made. Good choice either one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
1"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
1"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with these rings after some research. Rugged Steel, Close-Tolerance Dovetails For Extra Secure Mounting

Vertically split rings, precision-machined from steel bar stock, hold large objective, heavy scopes firmly against recoil. Finished to exacting tolerances so the scope returns to zero, even after repeated dismountings. Permanent mount (PERM) uses two socket screws to solidly lock rings to base, especially suitable for rough duty applications. Quick detach (QD), double lever rings clamp quickly and securely; dismount in an instant when you lift the lever. Once locked, the levers can be repositioned so both rest at the same angle. Ultra High rings put scope at correct height for flattop AR-15's and H&K SL7 rifle.

SPECS: Steel, blue, matte finish. Height measured from bottom of ring to inside bottom of ring saddle. Available in: QD: 1" (2.5cm): X-High - .650" (16.5mm) and Ultra-High - .935" (23.7mm); 30mm (1.18"): X High -.650 (16.5mm) and Ultra-High - .850" (21.6mm). Fits Weaver style bases. Permanent Mount 1”(2.5cm) X-High - .650" (16.5mm) and 30mm(1.18") X-High - .650" (16.5mm).

They might have been a little overkill but I wanted something I can use for further projects might I decide to step up to the AR10 or likewise. I spoke to the designer\tech from Warne and he said if I am not happy with these USA made rings send them back for a full refund.

Quoted:
I was just looking at this scope last night in a Cabelas catalog. I'd like to here a range report when you can.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Bro at the range yesterday it took 6 rounds to get with in 3/4" groups. Man I have to tell you its a big bang for the buck. I even took the scope off to sight in the troy rear sight and when I poped it back on 5 rounds with in 3/4" again. I will spend more time next week when I have more time. I want to say it was a thrill to have this MR2 scope on my gun but other than the reticle for 100yd use I can reach out the same and knock the shit out of what ever I put my sights on

Quoted:

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top