Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2009 6:53:24 AM EDT
I am in the market for another Range gun. I am trying to make up my mind whether it makes more sense to buy a ready made "Tack driver" or Build one.
I would like your thoughts on this.  Who in you opinion makes a very good out of the box target rifle? What parts would you recommend if building one?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you enjoy building stuff?  If so build one, if not buy it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Build one. That's the only way to insure that you have exactly what you want set up the way you want.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If you already have something to keep you shooting till you get this one done, why not build it? You can find the parts you want, and go from the get go with parts you want.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The only reason I am not automatically jumping on is that many times you can find a prebuilt Gun that is actually a savings over what the individual parts would have run. Plus then you have a factory warrantee to fall back on that covers the entire gun.  But, I am not against building either. That was why I was asking about componants that would make an extremely accurate gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Build it,  The only problem your ever likely to have is a chamber that is cut tight causing malfuctions. In that case you would return the barrel to who you bought it from for a replacement or refund.  Everything else on the rifle is user repairable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Build it!  It is so much fun putting one together!  I found that it is actually cheaper if you build it yourself unless you go nuts and get the good parts (which are the ones you want).  I was pretty on par with the pre-built price range until I got the barrel, trigger, and BCG I wanted and that put my price a bit higher than I found for a factory model.    My results?  a rifle that is a "tack driver" and a rifle that I can take LOTS of pride in because I built it myself.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#8]
OK everyone says build it. Easy answer.. Harder more complete answer would ne what parts do you guys that say build it recommend? I have a Bravo Company lower and A2 Stock, is that a good place to begin? Or do I need a differant lower?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Build!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#10]
A Bravo lower is a great place to start.

The A2 stock is fine and could be swaped out later if need be.

Build it. Just decide what you want in the end and gather up the parts as funds allow.

I will never  buy another factory built gun again unless it is super high end and exactly what I want.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I am hearing alot of good things about Noveske barrels. Anyone have experiance with them? Looking at 18 inch Stainless with 1-7 twist. I Like the way they make their barrels and the fact that they started as a barrel making company. They also have a full floating upper assy available.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
BUILD!

Spikes lower
Magpul ubr stock
noveske VIS upper
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just my opinion––

Buying one ––
the cheapest way to go. Down side is you get what comes with it. If you like standard factory rifles then buy one. (this does not include custom orders which adds to the cost)

Buidling one ––
Its fun. You get the parts you want. Down side is that building cost more but there are ways to cut cost. Building lowers is easy and need no special tools. Building an upper requires some special stuff which adds to your cost if you need to buy these.

You can always buy an upper and build your lower.

Do not buy a rifle and then start changing out parts because this just adds to over all cost. Might as well just build it if you want anything beyond a factory rifle.

I learned this stuff the hard way. I use to buy factory rifles and add/change parts. I will never buy a factory AR again. I have built 3 lowers now and am now building my first upper.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you think building an SPRish type gun be a good choice for the range? seems alot of the right parts are involved, 18" barrel, full floating, 1:7 twist, .....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#15]
It depends on what needs,wants and purposes your gonna use it for...what ever your wants and for wantever purposes you can build an AR that will fill the requirement...thats why I love the AR..can be configured a thousand different ways for all types of needs.in the end its what you require..an SPR for the range should be good for sniping targets and the enemy
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you think building an SPRish type gun be a good choice for the range? seems alot of the right parts are involved, 18" barrel, full floating, 1:7 twist, .....

If you're thinking of going with an 18" barrel you may want to wait and see what BCM's new line looks like in December.  Knowing BCM the product is going to be outstanding.  I am personally thinking of going this route and a new bolt gun as well.  Just to many choices.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Build.  It's an enjoyable process, if you like that sort of thing.  I haven't purchased a complete rifle in a long while and I doubt I ever will again.  It's too much fun to build with the exact components you desire.

I don't care what anyone says, I can stop any time I want!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Always build if there is any debate
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Other than the LPK I've never built one. If I had the setup I'd put one together as a shooter/plinker
just for the nuts and bolts learning experience gained from it but I really want my guns to be serious tier 1's
so I'd personally buy a BCM or RRA lower and a BCM complete upper put together by the pros.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I have done the buy a complete rifle my whole AR-15 life time. I am sold after much research and QC watching that the Larue components are excellent and will make this my next build as of Jan 2010. My range partners Stealth 18" sniper upper w/ Larue lower and DD BCG is amazingly accurate and no malfunctions in over 4200 rounds as of 10/18/2009.

I will go with Colt or DD for the BCG and Leopold for the optic but everything else will be Larue. I also was very impressed with DD and some of there components may find there way in also.

ARFCOM and much research has shown me that with these 2 companies many of my old beliefs that building a reliable and accurate AR was not feasable are misplaced.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw that Bravo Company had an SPR upper coming. I am hoping it will be soon. Noveske has a nice upper assy I like the looks of as well. One of the things I Like about the bravo upper is that it appears to be coated even though it is stanless. Hopefully the price point will be good. This is turning into quite a learning experiance. I am constantly amazed at how far the "plastic" gun they gave us in 'Nam has come so far.  Quite a weapon.  what about optics? For 100 to 200 yards what are you guys using? Also , who beside Leupold has very good equipment?  Leupold is so darn expensive, is it really the best bang for the money?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top