Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/19/2008 3:00:53 PM EDT
I have had an 80% lower for some time now. It has been engraved and Form 1 ed and I honestly don't think I will get around to purchasing the equipment to finish milling it. Does anyone know of a smith that could finish it up for me. I haven't had much luck with the few I have approached.

Info or leads much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:08:03 PM EDT
I believe you will have to find someone that has a manufacturers license for that to work. The 80% thing only works if YOU finish it.

Your best bet would be to sell the 80% blank to someone that wants to finish it for themselves and buy a finished lower.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:56:52 PM EDT
This guy can finish it for you but he will put his company name on it as well as he will be the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 5:39:31 PM EDT by beacon75]
Thanks all,

I know it needs to be a SOT. I have already done all the model, serial #, caliber marking, along with my info as the maker of the SBR. Maybe Thompson could still help....oh its beach bum, I forgot about him ;)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:13:06 PM EDT
Shouldn't need SOT just an 07 Manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:13:51 PM EDT
If the receiver has been registered on a form 1 it has already been manufactured as far as the ATF is concerned. A manufacturer cannot finish it for you as you would First have to transfer it to them and transfer it back. They have to put hteir company info on it and a serial number. Since it already has a serial number it can't be remanufactured unless it is deactivated first. Gunsmiths cannot finish these for people unless they are licensed to manufacture.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:23:27 PM EDT
Did I miss something? Isn't a 07 FFL a manufacturers FFL? If so, the link to the manufacturer should be able to finish a form 1ed receiver. Aren't we saying the same thing?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:39:27 PM EDT
I'll try and take a stab at this.

The manufacturer is the name entered on the Form 1 and engraved on the receiver. One would presume that a papered, stamped, and serialized receiver is a firearm, regardless of degree of completion. This is where the lack of clarification by BATFE, as to what percentage of completion is a firearm, is actually a positive. While I wouldn't suggest trying this with a forging, an 80% should be far enough along.

It can be worked on by either an 01 OR 07 FFL. The person receiving it, to do the work, must be able to legally posses it, which means they must have a bound book to enter it into. As I understand it, a type 01 FFL may receive an NFA weapon for the purpose of repair or modification, as long as those repairs don't change the nature of the weapon. You can't change an AOW into an SBR for example.

The best example I've seen is a registered, transferable, MAC-10 receiver that was nothing more than a flat with the sides bent up, sear hole drilled, manufacturer's markings, and serial number. The owner sat on this for almost 20 years before it was completed. While the work was done by an 07, with SOT paid, it could have been done by a regular 01 or 07. The manufacturer's name was not changed.

Can an individual do some work on an 80% and then send it somewhere else for completion, probably not. If they registered it as an NFA weapon, with tax paid, and themselves as the manufacturer, probably yes.

Top Top