Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2004 6:31:46 PM EDT
Besides the obvious advantage of a longer sight radius, are there any advantages to the mid length setup that makes it grossly superior over the standard 16" carbine system?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto to Troy,

PLUS AESTHETICALLY IT IS A WINNER
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Second ditto on Troy, and a big fat ditto on KevinB.  

Plus, you get a longer handguard area.  I know that sounds elementary, but you have an extra 2" to put your hand forward without burning yourself, you get an extra 2" to mount accessories (if that's your thing), you can put a bipod 2" farther forward if you use one...

But MOST importantly, you can use a regular bayonet without addons or doodads, just in case you ever need one to rob a bank or pillage a village

These days, most everyone (except KAC) makes stuff for the mid-length.  If you want free float, railed forends, there's everything from sub-$100 YHM or Oly, to the $300+ Daniel Defense, all the way up to the ARMS SIR system.

If you just want regular handguards, well there's the standard carbine handguards from several places like RRA or Armalite, or if you want M4 handguards, there's Cavalry Arms.

If you can't tell, I'm a little biased.  The middie is my favorite by far.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I chose a mid-length based only on looks.  The fact that the mid-length gas system improves function was a pleasent bonus to me.  Also, when I'm aiming my rifle I point my left index finger parallel to the barrel and on the bottom of the handguard.  The tip of my finger curls around the end of the mid-length handguard.  I would have to pull my left hand much farther back than is comfortable on a CAR length handguard.

Mid-length with A1 stock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my midlength for the reliability reasons that Troy mentioned, but I do think it has better asthetic balance. If you put an A1 stock on it, the Midlength looks just like a scaled down A2.

Edit: Now that's what I'm talking about. Nice carbine corwin1968!

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Onslaught, great point - I missed that one - even thought I have belaboured it at lenght other times.

With the CAR handguard the PEQ2A takes up all the useable space with the Middy it is still a viable handguard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Onslaught, great point - I missed that one - even thought I have belaboured it at lenght other times.

img63.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/side.jpg

img63.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/KAC_cat.jpg

With the CAR handguard the PEQ2A takes up all the useable space with the Middy it is still a viable handguard.

DUDE..... STOP teasing me with that URX!!    

Stainless
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
These days, most everyone (except KAC) makes stuff for the mid-length.  If you want free float, railed forends, there's everything from sub-$100 YHM or Oly, to the $300+ Daniel Defense, all the way up to the ARMS SIR system.

Which DD rail fits a mid-length?  I didn't see one on their website.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Wonder if there is any measurable velocity differences in the carbine and midlength gas system out of 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The DD 9.0 fits the midlength system.  Although there have been rumors that there will be at least another model for the midlength at some point.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I know of one new rail system in the works for midlength barrels. Should be released in a month or so.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Come on Hawkeye spill the beans!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wonder if there is any measurable velocity differences in the carbine and midlength gas system out of 16" barrel?

I don't see how the gas system length would affect velocity at all...  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think the midlenght is copatable with a bayo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had access to the search function, that would help, but I'm pretty sure that the mid lengths will take a bayonet.  Seems like KevinB has shown pics of some of his middys with the bayonet mounted.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Come on Hawkeye spill the beans!

Troy industries MRF
or the secret, hush-hush, daniel defence one

Stainless
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty confident that it's not the Troy MRF that Hawkeye is referring to.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Abrams Hawkeye showed pics of from Shot Show.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The DD 9.0 fits the midlength system.

Correct.  Their website still shows the 9.5, which I believe was for carbine gas systems with a milled gas block.  They informed me that the 9.5 has been discontinued and replaced with 9.0 for "true" midlength barrels.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Oh yes it is... like a charm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Both the KAC and Armalite Midlenghts I have are bayonet compatible...
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Book,

As knightone stated it's the DD 9.0 (not the 9.5).  The 9.0 was released about 6 months ago, but DD hasn't updated their website.

DD 9.0

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Another midlength with an ARMS.
http://home.earthlink.net/~aubertine/images/M4MIDL~1sm.jpg

RRA stock w/ a Bushmaster extender.  The perfect length.
Armalite upper.
Eagle lower
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#24]
USMC03 - would you please STOP posting pics of your rifle!   It's costing me SO much money!

Sure, you had help... input from a couple others here who tried to convince me that if I only bought "the best", I'd only buy once...  But the IMAGE of your rifle was the final straw... When I decided to spend every dime I had making my mid-length into the perfect "do-it-all" carbine with all the best features rather than building a couple different uppers less expensive accessories and optics and just try and "make do".

I'll be saving till Christmas, but it will happen.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Top Top