Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 2:58:32 PM EDT
A couple of us are looking at building a shorter 9mm flat top and trying to find barrels of 10.5 inches and under, possible something around 5.5 inches.  While there are several very nice complete uppers, have not run across any supply of short barrels except for OEM Colts.

Appreciate any leads of good web pages to shop for 9mm parts (cleaned up follow posting of links - JT)

ASA - (see next posting - JT)
Colt - www.sawlesales.com/
Garrison - (see next posting - JT)
RRA - (see next posting - JT)
www.sableco.net/id21.htm
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi there, hopfully I read your post correct, so I can at least give you some address's-

[url]www.rockriverarms.com/9mm_parts.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.gunkits.com/9mm.html[/url] -- ASA

[url]http://www.garrisonmfginc.com/9mm_ar.htm[/url]

[url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url] -- he is west of Toledo, o he be close anyways, he sells RRA.

[url]www.Brownells.com[/url] -- sells ASA 9mm upper complete, and blocks.

If you did not mind sharing an expense (maybe $135), call Douglas, get a 26"  9mm barrel blank, buy a reamer, a 2"  1/8" diameter roll pin to cut for index pins, and make a handfull of barrels from the blank. You or Chuck have any lathe experience?  Maybe joeblack can cut your barrels, or a fella just north of me works in machine shop by day, and moonlights as Marks' Guns by night and weekend. He is just east of the OH-IN state line, off 30, east of  Van Wert.

[url]http://benchrest.com/douglas/[/url] - Douglas Barrels

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

Looks like my options are to use a Colt or RRA 10.5 to 11.5 upper or have someone turn a barrel down.

I have a little lath experence ... enough to know it is best that I stick with the Unimat for making parts for the Electron Microscopes (standard run the engineer has turned on power equipment [:)].
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
JT:

Might I suggest getting a 16" barrel from RRA or Model 1 or M&A Parts or wherever, and having someone like Kurt @ KKF cut it and finish it at whatever length you want?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Cutting down a barrel is Plan "B" and maybe the way one has to go (we are also checking that direction at a low level).

As we are not for sure what is the perfect setup past a flat top, thus for our use would like to keep options open to swap barrels etc.  

One open issue with the shorter 9mm's is one of the primary uses would be for Subgun matches, and the lower velocity might be too much of an issue (see these effects with the MP5K and MP5SD) in knocking down steel plates.

Hate to spend the money on a complete upper, just to take it apart (i.e. would be nearly a crime to part out one of the "new" DOE uppers) ... besides may find out that the perfect choice is my 10.5 Colt barrel on a flat top upper (which is Plan "C" )

Thanks Again For the Information
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey My 6" works great!!! Fingernail trimmer!!

[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/M16A19mm.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We have some sub 10" 9mm uppers in the works.  We made one at 5.5" and it has worked great on an M16 so for.  It was made with a short 4 rail free float tube.

Jeff
View Quote

Would you have any pics?

TIA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey My 6" works great!!! Fingernail trimmer!!
View Quote

This is one of the three pictures that started this project [;)]

Edited to add: An the following posting has the photo by Amphibian which is one of the other photos.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#9]
JTinIN,
I guess you may have seen my upper below.
I use this or an Uzi for SMG competition.
Since I started competing, two other competitors have copied me and got ~5" barrels for their 9mm M16s also.
I got my barrel from Gemtech (this is pretty much the same as used in the Talon).
The other guys at the competition got their barrels from WA Tom.  He sells them for $20/inch.  So you would pay $120 for a 6".  I don't know that includes the threading.
His email is [email protected]
[img]http://home.cfl.rr.com/c3stuff/m16/colt_curved.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top