Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2017 2:28:34 PM EDT
I have nothing but nice things to say.  I bought this for my back-up 3-gun rifle, to replace a Strike Eagle that I found to be too busy in the reticle.  My main rifle already has the Vortex HD Razor gen2 1-6x24 MRAD.

The specs are nearly identical between the gen2 Razor and gen2 Viper PST.  Is the glass on the Razor better?  Yeah...but not so much that you're going to notice under daylight conditions with most targets.   At nearly half the price, the gen2 Viper is a REALLY solid performer, and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info, the PST II has really caught my eye (sorry for the pun). Is it daylight bright?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, the PST II has really caught my eye (sorry for the pun). Is it daylight bright?
View Quote
Well, I shoot in the deserts of SoCal...and today was the first day out with it --  Understand that when you turn on the power, only the dot at the intersection of the cross hairs illuminates.  The rest of the etched reticle remains black.  With a brand new battery, I had no trouble seeing the dot against bright tan colored dirt in full sun...in fact if anything it was too bright and had to turn it down to a lower power setting.

At 1x, it's effectively a really really clear RDS for CQB type shooting.  I have Aimpoints and Trijicon RDS's too, and I'd rather take the weight of either of the Vortex gen2's because the image is just so much clearer...makes target acquisition ez.

ETA: Electronically, it's supposedly the same internals as the gen2 Razor, which you'd be hard pressed to find anyone complaining about on the webz.

ETA2:  List price is $699, but OpticPlanet will usually give you 10% off just for asking
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I shoot in the deserts of SoCal...and today was the first day out with it --  Understand that when you turn on the power, only the dot at the intersection of the cross hairs illuminates.  The rest of the etched reticle remains black.  With a brand new battery, I had no trouble seeing the dot against bright tan colored dirt in full sun...in fact if anything it was too bright and had to turn it down to a lower power setting.

At 1x, it's effectively a really really clear RDS for CQB type shooting.  I have Aimpoints and Trijicon RDS's too, and I'd rather take the weight of either of the Vortex gen2's because the image is just so much clearer...makes target acquisition ez.

ETA: Electronically, it's supposedly the same internals as the gen2 Razor, which you'd be hard pressed to find anyone complaining about on the webz.

ETA2:  List price is $699, but OpticPlanet will usually give you 10% off just for asking
View Quote
I purchased one of these with the mrad reticle to compare to a razor I used to have and I too can hardly tell the difference.

Sport optics has them right now with a 12% discount.

The only reason I'll ever use an RDS again on something would be  along with a higher power variable optic as a piggybacking backup.

The clarity on 1x is amazing and far superior to any RDS I've ever used in both the razor and the PST gen 2.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm loving mine so far.

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Well you certainly didn't waste any time makin' with the Krylon!   Though it looks like you could use a switch view lever...
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Have had mine out once and shot a couple hundred rounds. I love it! For the upper it resides on I felt the Razor wasn't worth the extra coin. Can't wait to use it for this coming hunting season.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well you certainly didn't waste any time makin' with the Krylon!   Though it looks like you could use a switch view lever...
View Quote
Definitely.

You have one you need to get rid of?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Definitely.

You have one you need to get rid of?
View Quote
These are 3-D printed, I believe -- and a little bulkier than the aluminum ones that Vortex sells, but they're also less than half the price ($25, shipped).   Yeah, it's plastic, but you'd still have to abuse it pretty hard to break it -- I've never broken one and have had them on a few optics already, so I'd say it's a good value:
http://mkmachining.com/product/vortex-viper-gen-ii-throw-lever/

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
These are 3-D printed, I believe -- and a little bulkier than the aluminum ones that Vortex sells, but they're also less than half the price ($25, shipped).   Yeah, it's plastic, but you'd still have to abuse it pretty hard to break it -- I've never broken one and have had them on a few optics already, so I'd say it's a good value:
http://mkmachining.com/product/vortex-viper-gen-ii-throw-lever/

http://mkmachining.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/vortex-viper-ii-small.jpg
View Quote
Ordered. 

$25 is a helluva lot better than $60.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top