Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:12:27 PM EDT
What do you consider the best vice block out there? I have used the DPMS barrel vice and it works but can mar the barrel. The Peace River sold by Brownells and it works OK saw it flex a lot on a tough job.Looking for another . Thinking about the aluminum one by Bushmaster. Looks like it should hold the action well. Will the aluminum mar the finish of my receiver? Is there a better choice?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:21:44 PM EDT
I have the new Bushmaster Action block and its not aluminum its some sort of composite material and so far its worked incredibly well. No maring or anything.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:45:42 AM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:16:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 4:40:04 AM EDT by rmz]
I like the DPMS Panther Claw. DPMS told me their gun builders use it and not the other DPMS products.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:43:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By r4nger:
I have the new Bushmaster Action block and its not aluminum its some sort of composite material and so far its worked incredibly well. No maring or anything.

+1 on the Bushmaster action block, it has worked for me. I do like the design of the action blocks that support A1 and A2 receivers by enclosing the carry handle also. The more support you have, the better.

The new DPMS block that holds the receiver by the pivot and take down pins just doesn't sit right with me. Guys here that bought one say it works. I’m waiting for a post from someone that says their receiver pin holes cracked while torquing the barrel nut.

Just as important as the vice block, if not more important, is a good high quality barrel wrench. I have both the GI armorer’s and DPMS wrenches.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:37:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 9:39:04 AM EDT by Fenian]

Originally Posted By QUIB:

The new DPMS block that holds the receiver by the pivot and take down pins just doesn't sit right with me. Guys here that bought one say it works. I’m waiting for a post from someone that says their receiver pin holes cracked while torquing the barrel nut.

Just as important as the vice block, if not more important, is a good high quality barrel wrench. I have both the GI armorer’s and DPMS wrenches.

I had the Peace River clamshell type...put it up for sale on the EE the day I did my first build with the white delrin one that you mentioned...so far, no issues, and I swap barrels/front ends around like some folks change their clothes.

I highly recommend the Yankee Hill wrench if you're gonna do any float tubes, especially the ones with jam nuts. You can also use it on regular delta ring assemblies...the 3 prongs go into the barrel nut without having the compress the spring in the delta assembly...VERY hand, and allows a much better bite on the barrel nut, imho.

Other than installing flash hiders, is there any reason to need a barrel vise these days?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:19:09 PM EDT
i use the bushmaster one

but like the insert that comes with the dpms one.
Top Top