Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2005 4:00:05 PM EDT
After years of cleaning my AR the old fashion way, I'm looking for a faster method, will the overspray from using brake cleaner effect the exterior finish in any way? And is it ok to just douch out the entire upper (with the optics removed of course) and the trigger pac? Yes I did a search but no results were returned.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Plastic parts are in danger from brake cleaner (action blaster or similar).

Remove the grip and keep the cleaner away from the stock when blasting the lower.  Use the 'straw' that comes with

I don't have any plastic on my upper, so I blast away at it...
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
go with non-chlorinated brake cleaner

i have never had it mess up anything
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner and it should be fine.

Give the exterior a wipe down with a light coat of oil to give it the nice black look again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Give the exterior a wipe down with a light coat of oil to give it the nice black look again.

+1.  Don't panic when your black anodized aluminum turns almost white.    A little CLP will bring it back to normal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Don't panic when your black anodized aluminum turns almost white.    A little CLP will bring it back to normal.

+1
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all your replys guys, great information. Gonna give it a try tonight, just did brake  jobs on my personal vehicles and grabbed a few extra cans of non chlorinated cleaner.
Thanks again, you guys are the best.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
mine looked like snow camo

but it goes back to normal afer some clp
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
non-chlorinated brake cleaner softens some paint, letting the paint bleed some.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Try carb cleaner. It's not as strong, gets it clean. Don't get it on the plastic.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try carb cleaner. It's not as strong, gets it clean. Don't get it on the plastic.

You left off to not smoke while using it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carb cleaner is much stronger then brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
never had a problem with the non-chlorenated brake cleaner hitting the handguards or getting on the grip. Wipe it down with a rag and a little CLP when your done.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carb cleaner is much stronger then brake cleaner.

+1.  Brake cleaner is just a degreaser, which is not that big a job.  Carb cleaner is meant to tackle tougher stuff.  If you ever get carb cleaner on your skin, you can tell the difference right away.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#14]
For my trigger group, I use fast evaporating contact cleaner and then lube it with rem oil. I atleast clean it twice a week (I get bored) and never had a problem yet. As for the upper, I blast it with bore cleaner on the inside.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I ALSO HAVE BEEN USING BRAKE CLEAN FOR AROUND 5 YEARS. IT CLEANS VERY WELL, AND I ALSO USE MY COMPRESSOR AND BLOW NOZZLE WHICH HELPS GET THE REST OF THE CRAP OUT OF THOSE HARD TO REACH AREAS
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
go with non-chlorinated brake cleaner

i have never had it mess up anything

Quoted:
Use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner and it should be fine.

+ whatever
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Not all brands of "non-chlorinated" brake cleaners are the same.  Need to check the label and get one with only petroleum distillates and toluene.  Some brands have acetone – which is hard on plastics and paint.

At NAPA (give both case lot discount plus AAA discounts) they have two "non-chlorinted" brake cleaners - one with acetone and one with out.   Have to watch the label ;-).

As noted earlier all the "non-chlorinated" brake cleaners burn very easly and if using in the basement  or garage etc. could have the fumes go pop with the water heater etc.  Best to use ouside only.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have used brake cleaner on all my guns, it works like a dream. Just no plastic/ rubber.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Plastic parts are in danger from brake cleaner (action blaster or similar).

Remove the grip and keep the cleaner away from the stock when blasting the lower.  Use the 'straw' that comes with

I don't have any plastic on my upper, so I blast away at it...[/quote

That's BS!

Brake Cleaner will not have any adverse reaction on your "Plastic Parts"!

Been doing it for years and hundreds of cleanings!

Tack
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top