Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:00:27 PM EDT
Ok.... I know that air compressors inherently produce moisture and if used on things like computers etc, the moisture is enough to cause corrosion.

I also know that lubricants are designed to repel moisture to an extent.

Cleaned my AR today with a buddy that has access to a compressor that is filtered to remove the moisture. WOW....was able to really get the excess mil-comm spread to every nook and crany and made thigs MUCH easier.

Can anyone tell me if using an air compressor (without the special moisture filter) can be harmful? I can afford a small compressor for this use but probably not an industrial (filtered) one.

thoughts/info/ideas appreciated!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You can purchase a cheap inline water trap for less than $30 or disposable inline water filters for around $10.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can purchase a cheap inline water trap for less than $30 or disposable inline water filters for around $10.

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
wow.....I had been told of these bu wasn't sure they would do the trick.

Assuming it didn't totally remove the water....any harm to the weapon?

Thanks again for the great follow UP!!

PS- what size/brand compressor would fit the bill?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
wow.....I had been told of these bu wasn't sure they would do the trick.

Assuming it didn't totally remove the water....any harm to the weapon?

Thanks again for the great follow UP!!

PS- what size/brand compressor would fit the bill?

Maybe some internal rust if the parts were oil free but I never have a oil free gun and I'm pretty fanatical about cleaning my guns.
I use a Sears red tank compressor that I believe is 40 gal in size. I use it to run my air tools in my garage with no problems. The main tank has a valve on the bottom to drain excess moisture which I drain about once per month.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
great!!

I will  be using the air to dry off cleaner and spread lube so there shouldn't be anything left uncovered   :)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I use compressed air to clean my rifles all of the time.  Used properly, you can clean your AR like no other.  Try spraying the inside area of your upper with NON-CHLORINATED break cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air.  You can get the bolt-lock area so clean that a chamber star will not get any additional dirt out.  Like you already said, the compressed air will spread out and remove all excess lube as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I use compressed air to clean my rifles all of the time.  Used properly, you can clean your AR like no other.  Try spraying the inside area of your upper with NON-CHLORINATED break cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air.  You can get the bolt-lock area so clean that a chamber star will not get any additional dirt out.  Like you already said, the compressed air will spread out and remove all excess lube as well.

do you use a water trap or anything special for moisture?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It's SOP for me to take my guns to work with
me for a meticulous cleaning using NC brake clean
and 175 psi blower .

I don't worry about moisture any more since
my new compressor has a filter/membrane that
makes sure the compressed gas is 99.5% Nitrogen
which is dry and inert .

Before I had this setup , I used to spray the weapon
down with EEZOX and spread it around and into crevices
with the blower when I was done .

Another idea I know of when using compressed air
is to put an inline oilier on the hose and fill it with
plain ole marvel mystery oil , which is a damn good
water displacer/rust preventer .

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I am fortunate to have a shop with a chilled air compressor. The compressed air goes thru a chiller before sending it down the line. This alleviates temp changes that cause the condensation.
Nice dry air!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a small compressor in my basement gun room - since it's in an air conditioned environment and the room air is dry, I've never had moisture problems using it for gun cleaning. My much larger garage compressor definately requires a moisture trap - I use one designed for painting. The power tools run off a  seperate trap and filter setup.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top