Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 3:34:12 PM EDT
I have been looking through some previous posts where people had suggested that you use a headspace gage whenever you swap bolts between rifles.  I have looked at pictures of headspace gages, and I cannot figure out how exactly they are supposed to work.  Is there an easy explanation about how they work and how you use them?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several types... "Go", "No-go" and "field" gauges. Just get field gauge. When using a field gauge, you insert it into the chamber and close the bolt....if the bolt closes all the way, then you have a problem (too much headspace). The field gauge is the important one, if the bolt closes on a field gauge, then you could have a dangerous situation.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Break open the weapon of course, pull the carrier assembly out and remove the ejector and extractor from the bolt.  Then, make sure the chamber is clean and dry, no little fuzzballs or anything in it.  Next, gently insert the gauge in the chamber.  Now, gently push on the end of the carrier with a finger and watch to see if the bolt goes completely shut.  If not, you're in good shape.  

Whatever you do, don't just leave the weapon assembled, drop the gauge in the chamber and hit the bolt release.  That tends to really screw things up.  

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If I am not mistaken, there is a difference in a .223 gage and a 5.56 NATO gage?

I remember this coming up before but nobody gave a definate answer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahhh.  Thank you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top