Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2018 8:14:48 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has a 6x scope with a mildot reticle and if the reticle is actually big enough to use. I'm looking at this scope: https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR25-C-200095

I had a 4x with a mildot reticle that was pretty much useless, so I don't want to repeat that experience.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a 2nd focal plane scope so yes, I think it will provide some utility.  You should be able to see the subtensions clearly.

Trijicon makes good stuff and it is generally well thought out.

Keep in mind that SFP reticles will have changing values for the corresponding bullet trajectory if you change the magnification level.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a 2nd focal plane scope so yes, I think it will provide some utility.  You should be able to see the subtensions clearly.

Trijicon makes good stuff and it is generally well thought out.

Keep in mind that SFP reticles will have changing values for the corresponding bullet trajectory if you change the magnification level.
View Quote
Yes it's SFP. I did used to have a 1-8 FFP, and now I really wish I had messed around with the reticle at 6x.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was wondering if anyone has a 6x scope with a mildot reticle and if the reticle is actually big enough to use. I'm looking at this scope: https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR25-C-200095

I had a 4x with a mildot reticle that was pretty much useless, so I don't want to repeat that experience.
View Quote
I have a FFP SWFA 1-6 HD, and when at 6x, the mil dots are good for ranging and drops

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a FFP SWFA 1-6 HD, and when at 6x, the mil dots are good for ranging and drops

https://www.swfa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/s/sshd16x24d-5.jpg
View Quote
I have the same optic.  I love it, although TBH I haven't stretched it out yet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Well that tells me what I need to know. Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy got that scope to replace the vortex strike eagle and it for 3gun. Once he got rid of that trash vortex he started slaying distance. Same gun and ammo but he has a useful reticle now. I played with it and I really like it. My other buddies have the same scope with moa dot and the triangle. The mil dot seems to be better than the moa because the moa dots are kind of difficult to distinguish because of the extra width because of the fiber optic in there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My buddy got that scope to replace the vortex strike eagle and it for 3gun. Once he got rid of that trash vortex he started slaying distance. Same gun and ammo but he has a useful reticle now. I played with it and I really like it. My other buddies have the same scope with moa dot and the triangle. The mil dot seems to be better than the moa because the moa dots are kind of difficult to distinguish because of the extra width because of the fiber optic in there.
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback and heads up on the mildot reticle. This will be my third Trijicon scope, and I've been extremely impressed with the glass in them so far. I've never had anything super expensive like an S&B, but it's hard to imagine the glass in them could be much better. Probably the most expensive scope I ever had was a Mark 4, and I think Trijicon glass is even a little better than that.

I had a Trijicon 1-4 and 1-8, and I was very disappointed with the reticles in both, which was a shame because the glass was so good. The 1-4 had an MOA dot reticle with half MOA hashes, which made it completely useless. If were just simple dots it may have had some utility for someone with good eyes, but those half MOA hashes were just too much. Then the 1-8 had the thickest crosshairs I've ever seen on any scope. Since it was FFP, they made them like five times thicker than normal so they would show up at 1x, which pretty much ruined any hope of precision at 8x. Your only recourse was to use the first half mil hash above the actual crosshairs. I got a sweetheart deal on both of them so I didn't really research at all, and then ended up trading both for guns.

I think they got it right with the Accupoint 1-6 though. They kept the reticles simple. In my opinion, anything 10x or below should have a simple dot reticle with no half mil hashes or anything else to clutter it up. It just seems like relatively low power scopes have all gotten really cluttered in recent years.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback and heads up on the mildot reticle. This will be my third Trijicon scope, and I've been extremely impressed with the glass in them so far. I've never had anything super expensive like an S&B, but it's hard to imagine the glass in them could be much better. Probably the most expensive scope I ever had was a Mark 4, and I think Trijicon glass is even a little better than that.

I had a Trijicon 1-4 and 1-8, and I was very disappointed with the reticles in both, which was a shame because the glass was so good. The 1-4 had an MOA dot reticle with half MOA hashes, which made it completely useless. If were just simple dots it may have had some utility for someone with good eyes, but those half MOA hashes were just too much. Then the 1-8 had the thickest crosshairs I've ever seen on any scope. Since it was FFP, they made them like five times thicker than normal so they would show up at 1x, which pretty much ruined any hope of precision at 8x. Your only recourse was to use the first half mil hash above the actual crosshairs. I got a sweetheart deal on both of them so I didn't really research at all, and then ended up trading both for guns.

I think they got it right with the Accupoint 1-6 though. They kept the reticles simple. In my opinion, anything 10x or below should have a simple dot reticle with no half mil hashes or anything else to clutter it up. It just seems like relatively low power scopes have all gotten really cluttered in recent years.
View Quote
No problem. My buddy has the 1-4 with the bdc and it’s a good little scope. If I ever compete at the presidents 100 match I would use the 1-4 moa reticle accupower. I have the 1-8 moa for 3
Gun and it’s awesome for that. Yes the crosshairs are thick but when i’m on 8x i’m shooting at distance so I’m using the marks below the actual crosshairs. But I do agree that the Trijicon glass is hard to beat, I really do like the 1-6 accupoints and i’m Looking for an excuse to get one. They’re awesome scopes. My favorite all time scope is probably my tr24 1-4 with the triangle of death. Anything from 0-250 is a breeze with a 50yd zero.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes the crosshairs are thick but when i’m on 8x i’m shooting at distance so I’m using the marks below the actual crosshairs.
View Quote
You have a point. I did really like that scope, but I had the opportunity to trade it for a cherry AR180 with the original optic and mount and couldn't resist. I think I'll like the 1-6 mildot better, but that extra 2x is hard to say no to. I just keep waiting for 1-10s to come down in price. I know absolutely nothing about the technology, but it seems like it's screaming along faster than anything else gun related. We haven't really had any game changing technology gun wise in the last fifty years, but it's truly amazing to see how far optics have come along in just the last ten years alone.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#10]
1-10’s are ones i’m leery of. If 1-8’s are having problems with the reticle being too crazy on 8x then 1-10 will probably be worse. I’m also guessing the field of view would be very limited. 1-6 handles most things, 1-8’s are still in there growing pains. But post in this thread when you get that TR25, I would like to hear your thoughts on it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1-10’s are ones i’m leery of. If 1-8’s are having problems with the reticle being too crazy on 8x then 1-10 will probably be worse. I’m also guessing the field of view would be very limited. 1-6 handles most things, 1-8’s are still in there growing pains. But post in this thread when you get that TR25, I would like to hear your thoughts on it.
View Quote
I would say 1-8s have grown up. The one I had had a great field of view, and if price is no object then they get even better. The S&B short dot 1-8 is about the same size and weight as a typical 1-6 with the same field of view. If I had an extra 4k lying around it would so be mine right now.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top