Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2017 2:33:41 PM EDT
I just purchased a Anderson stripped lower and am wanting to mate it with
my Colt upper MT 6551 Manufactured 1999.

Are there any problems that I should be aware of matching
these up??

Nick
West Virginia
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not if both are in spec. Maybe some color variation in the anodizing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Not as long as your lower isn't some goofy ban era lower, which I don't believe it should be with a '99 production date.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not as long as your lower isn't some goofy ban era lower, which I don't believe it should be with a '99 production date.
View Quote
Ban ended in '04, so that is "ban era". The only issue I know of is colt used a large front pin at some point. If your front pin on your upper is bigger than 1/4" you will need a special bushing that only costs a few cents. I think JSE surplus has it if you need it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Building a 10.5 AR pistol now and using an Anderson lower for the first time.  Everything went together fine except for the bolt catch plunger didn't seem to want to go in deep enough to let the bolt catch line up with the roll pin.  Thought maybe hole wasn't drilled deep enough.  Looked in the hole and it was half full of some crud.
Cleaned it out, no problems, went together like it should, lesson learned. Just waiting for a trigger in the mail and I'll be ready to go shoot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I probably didn't ask the question properly; the Anderson stripped lower
receiver is a new purchase from Brownell's and my upper is my Colt
manufactured 1999.

I have anticipated the possibility of the pivot pin needing replaced but
as far as the gun functioning properly, rounds feeding,
that is my main concern.

Thanks for your comments and advise so far.

Nick
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Once an upper and lower are mated, you start the reproductive cycle, and before you know it, many other rifles appear.

But no, there should be no problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ban ended in '04, so that is "ban era". The only issue I know of is colt used a large front pin at some point. If your front pin on your upper is bigger than 1/4" you will need a special bushing that only costs a few cents. I think JSE surplus has it if you need it.
View Quote
+1. Great point. I spaced that, and I am dealing with that on my current build

OP, as stated by AASG, there are 2 sizes for the front pivot pin hole: 0.310" and standard  0.250". Adapter bushing again takes care of that. Pic below
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're right. I'm getting old and seem to easily confuse my decades. I was thinking '09 and typing '99.

As stated, if your receiver has a pivot pin diameter larger than. 250" you'll need to use an adapter or a pivot pin bushing. Brownell's I believe has a couple different options in stock to allow the two to be used together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used several large hole colt uppers on standard lowers with a bushing, no problem at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again for the quick responses guys.

This site is definitely the place to come to for good, solid advise.

Really appreciate the help

Nick
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top