Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/20/2003 2:30:35 PM EDT
Okay. I give up.
I've been searching this site for the assembly steps for an upper, but only have found the lower procedure, which I've built a few.
Am I missing something? Is it hard to do? What tools are needed? What specs to follow?
Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:27:06 PM EDT
Assembling an upper, ie installing a barrel onto an upper, checking headspace, installing FSB, gas tube, etc, is somewhat more complicated than assembling a lower. You would need a barrel nut wrench, a vise action block, a set of headspace gauges, and a vise, or at least some big C-clamps. What you do is take the barrel/extension (the extension should be pressed in place by the manufacturer; I don't know of any that sells barrels and extensions separate) and the bolt that you want to use and check the headspace by using the gauges. Then, if the headspace checks out, depending on whether the manufacturer has already slid the barrel nut and delta ring, as well as the front handguard cap onto the barrel before installing the front site base, you would put the barrel/extension into the upper, lining up the index pin on the extension with the slot on the upper. After that, put the polymer insert into the upper, where the carrier goes, and put the upper into the action block and clamp the whole shebang into the vise. Thread the barrel nut on, and tighten by hand. Then, tighten with the wrench, just tight enough to index it, ie line up the gas hole. After checking to make sure the front sight looks lined up, and the front handguard cap is in place, put on the handguards. Assemble bolt, if necessary, insert into carrier, assemble carrier, bolt, and charging handle into the upper and you are done. Ghost
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:36:15 PM EDT
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl. I have all the tools, except the headspace gauges. Who makes the best ones?
Top Top