Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2008 11:53:29 AM EDT
How were rack/unit markings made on the buttstock of some old m-16's? What kind of abbreviations would you use, placement, etc.? Also, which branches did this? Did the Air Force? Pics?
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be interested to know this as well. I have seen some buttstocks with very clean, white rack markings on the left and right sides. I got one with 'C20' on the right side for my build. I like the rack numbers a lot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen them done in a variety of ways. Many of ours were done with label makers, the kind that had the wheel and plastic tape that was sticky on one side. The tape came in a variety of colors including green.

Many times the letters will represent the Company or group to which they are issued. For example, my rack number at one time was B11. That would have been Company B, rack number 11.

Many were just painted on the stock in various locations including the upper part just behind the charging handle, the lower part just above the buttplate screw, or the lower left or right side just above the buttplate. The main reason they were painted on top of the stock was so that they could be seen while in the rack. That made it easy for the armorer to issue and recover the weapon.

Most of those that were painted used stencils. We had our own stencil making machine and used folders to punch out what we needed. I painted many vehicle windshields, duffel bags, and other equipment over the years with stencils I made on that machine.

One other method I saw recently, and it horrified me, was the use of dog tags that were riveted to the side of the stock! Fortunately these were on A2 stocks which are not collectible, yet.

I think I remember doing some with paint pens as well but those were a fairly recent invention.

Whatever you do, please stay away from the more destructive and more detracting methods such as electro pencils or stampings on the upper or lower receiver!
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Whatever you do, please stay away from the more destructive and more detracting methods such as electro pencils or stampings on the upper or lower receiver!

My GunnysSurplus has the stamped numbers on the rear of the carry handle and electro-penciling on the front channel of the handle. I kind of like them.

They could not be removed without leaving visible evidence.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My non trapdoor A-1 style stock has rack numbers painted in white on the top if the stock near the buttplate.  I like them on there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine was a smaller arms room, 76 M16A2's, maybe 10 M203's, 8 M249's, 16 M9's, buttloads of NVG's and a couple cases of 30 round mags. Rack numbers were applied with sticky tape labels to the buttstock just below the charging handles if I recall. It's been 11 years now, the memory strains......
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I handed over to a buddy, a non-trapdoor seemingly unissued stock with the nicest hand painted 43 that someone had been anal thoughtful enough to mark lines in pencil so it would come out even. Numbers were on both sides of the stock, about 1 1/2" in. tall and cream colored. on a horizonal line with the bore. GORGEOUS!

ADD: Anyone ever run across rack #s on handguards? I've got a nice set numbered underneath about 3" tall that would be read with the gun standing up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Butt stocks are still marked in all types of ways. Paints pens, spray paint, tape, white out, imprinted tape (label maker), tape gun tape...
The only old school method I haven't seen in years is the ID tag (dog tag), screwed to the stock (on M16's). Now M249, M240B, and M2's still may have a "dog tag" wired to a stock and spare barrel.

If it works, "Joe has done it"
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My surplus M16 mottled buttstock has CES written in paint pen on both sides plus a rack number.  Any idea what CES stands for?
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My surplus M16 mottled buttstock has CES written in paint pen on both sides plus a rack number.  Any idea what CES stands for?

Civil Engineer Squadron...an Air Force unit...  
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a nice type D stock from Moore Militaria. I has yellow paint pen rack numbers done very nicely by hand.
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Here is a pic of my M16A1 clone with the trapdoor buttstock with it's original "90" rack number that I got from Northridge back when this retro craze was just getting started. I wish I would have bought a few more back then, this one is almost like new. I've thought trying to remove the numbers and repaint them with a number that has some meaning to me (like the year I enlisted) but, the stock is in such good shape that I don't want to risk screwing up a good thing.

I know, the Mossberg 500 isn't retro, I took this pic because these were my favorite toys at the time. I just noticed this pic was taken before my 653 clone was re-anodized by USAnodizing and my M16A1 clone now has a NDS lower.

Doc

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info all. I'm planning my first build as "the 601 rifle that Gen LeMay really wanted" ie. SAC themed with crest engraved in magwell, duracoated blue and white, fill in the crest with enamel paint, etc. the build i'm working on will be "themed" as though it came from the 3902nd Combat Defense Squadron, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB. I'll probably put something on there for unit markings too then.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#15]
My just has a red label maker that says "211"
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I used cast iron rotory-style stencil machines in the Navy.  Two sizes IIRC.

We have one at work, same thing...and DAMN I don't remember it being so friggin' heavy lol.  It must weight close to 100 pounds.

I made these up a few weeks ago.  They're 1".  I don't like how the digits are so far apart, but that can be remedied fairly easy.  

I don't know what type or color of paint I want to use yet, but I have several A1 stocks that I can try it on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top