Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:27:17 PM EDT
Im beginning my AR15 mechanics career, and need to ask aquestion, or two.

I recently put a YHM FFtube on my Armalite M15A2. I borrowed a GI Armorers tool, and the barrel nut would nut budge, with any amount of torque. It kept shearing the teeth off the nut. I then tried to use my THM FF tube tool, and it sheared a few more teeth off, and then broke the teeth off of the tool. I finally had to dremel the delta ring off, and take a pipe wrench to the barrel nut.

I had no problems reinstalling the new nut, and the tube, after I fixed my YHM FF Tube wrench( I simply cut the shanks off of three drill bits I had, and press fit them in the wrench. It actually works better now, as the teeth are a lot longer).

To my question. Why was that damn thing so tight? Was I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
old, seized.

should have heated it or threw it in the freezer
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I did heat it, thats what i didnt understand. Never thought of the freezer, dunno why.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
use the air duster in a can - turn can upside down - spray out the liquid (which is incredibly cold so don't give yourself frost burn - way way colder than a fridge) - use enough to get your differential shrinkage and there ya go.  I use this technique on my wheel nuts that are torqued in too tight.  

oh yeah, don't smoke while doing this unless you wanna blow up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
use the air duster in a can - turn can upside down - spray out the liquid (which is incredibly cold so don't give yourself frost burn - way way colder than a fridge) - use enough to get your differential shrinkage and there ya go.  I use this technique on my wheel nuts that are torqued in too tight.  

oh yeah, don't smoke while doing this unless you wanna blow up.

Excellent idea. Quite a bit faster than the ol' icebox. I'll have to try that next time.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top