Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 2:48:58 PM EDT
Anyone use this sight?

I got one because it sounded good on paper.  Problem is, I can not get it to group very well...  It seems to me that there is a large margin for error in lining up the front sight post consistently on every shot.

Is it just me?  Do I need to give this sight some more time to get use to it?  Go back to a standard A2 flip??

Opinions?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone use this sight?

I got one because it sounded good on paper.  Problem is, I can not get it to group very well...  It seems to me that there is a large margin for error in lining up the front sight post consistently on every shot.

Is it just me?  Do I need to give this sight some more time to get use to it?  Go back to a standard A2 flip??

Opinions?

They used to go by a different name, like diamondsomething.  You might be able to find more info using the old nomenclature.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this sight and I have mixed reviews after using it for 1000+ rounds.  For quick target acquisition, I really like the corners of the di-optic because my eyes naturally center the front sight at the corners.  This has allowed me to get on target very quickly while running or with a quick weapon mount.  However, just like you, I cannot get any decent groups using this sight.  I know its an iron sight and as long as I hit the target I'm happy.  I was able to get much better groups after going to a standard Troy rear sight, but then I couldn't get shit for target acquisition!  To be honest, i'm 50/50 reagarding this sight.   BUt then again, it is my back-up sight so if I ever need to use it, at least I know I will hit something!  

Also, I originally had the plain di-optic but after little use, I went with the one with the Tritium inserts; much better for me regarding target acquisition. But still didn't group worth a shit.  Jus like you stated, there is a lot of room for error with the sight picture.  Especially if you shot nose-to-charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that about confirms it.

I need to trade this one for a standard one ASAP!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't own one, so I should not even make a comment, but may I ask why you want to get rid of it?  It was meant for fighting (fast target acquisition for center of mass hits), not for building tight groups.

Just wondering, that's all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
if I can not get 4 MOA or better with it, it has no place on my rifle.  What good is acquiring a target quickly if you can not get hits?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't used my Troy BUIS since I zeroed them, but I noticed a couple things. The claw-shaped, small aperture is pretty much useless. When shooting nose to charging handle, the rear sight is a total wash. Yes, I focus on the front sight post, but it's either too small or is blending in. Bottom line I just cant hit anything with the small aperture. The diamond-shaped large aperture is brilliant. Very easy to acquire and line up. I was shooting 8-10 inch groups running PMC with it both standing and shooting off an atv at 225 yards(verified with laser rangefinder). The large aperture is pretty course at that range. I might try painting the small aperture white or yellow and see if that makes it functional.

All in all I am fairly happy with the sight. I will be extremely happy with it if I can make the small aperture effective. It's a BUIS after all and I don't plan on shooting >250 yards with irons and mediocre eye sight; thats what the Mk12 is for...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top