Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 10:01:24 PM EDT
Tell me about the trijicon Tripower.  Are they any good? When is the tritium recticle supposed to come on?  WHats one worth?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I may sound like a broken record, but I have a Tripower (2 actually, one new and one old), and I really like it.  So far, it is the best unmagnified sight I have used.  The chevron is very easy to pick up, and feels subjectively quicker than and Eotech or Aimpoint's reticle (but this is subjective, and others probably will beg to differ).  Overall, it's size is about the same as an Aimpoint, but the mounting portion of it is further forward, which means it hangs further aft of whatever mount you are using than an Aimpoint would.

The tritium is always "on," but the reticle is not really visible to the naked eye until close to total darkness (and letting your eyes adjust).  If you have NVG's, then the tritium is supposed to light the chevron just about right.  

What are they worth? I've seen them sell for $499-$529 new.  Be aware that there are 2 generations of earlier Tripowers that have partial-plastic bodies, a tube for accepting Cyalume sticks (for a fourth source to light the reticle), and they are also known to have problems like having a "shadow" chevron show up when you look at the reticle sometimes.  

I have one of the 2nd gen models, and I have seen the shadow reticle a couple of times, but for the most part it works pretty well.  I think it's reticle is not as bright as the new-gen model's in most light (using the fiber optic to light the reticle- and that's been redisgned in the new-gen Tripower too).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd still really like to see more reports and reviews of the new version that supposedly cured all the old ailments.  I'd also like to get some trigger time behind one, but I don't know of anyone who has one.

I love the concept, but am unsure of the excecution.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
loks like I have an older one.  I like the sight, but the tritium is not very bright.  Where do you get these glowsticks?  Must be pretty small.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
loks like I have an older one.  I like the sight, but the tritium is not very bright.  Where do you get these glowsticks?  Must be pretty small.

The tritium was really intended for night vision use (at least that is how I understand it). If it was really bright, then it would be way too bright for NVG's.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
And that's my concern with purchasing one.  I've waited, sometimes impatiently, for the re-release of the TriPower.  I've liked it over the Aimpoint for its features.  BUT, with an investment of many thousands into NVDs it's absolutely crucial to use an optic that is compatible.  All I'm waiting for is someone whose tested it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually, I have something like fifty of them purchased right before they took the last model off the market.  You should be able to pick them up through any dealer in Cyalume products.  If you're interested, shoot me a private e-mail with your e-mail address and we can discuss getting you the ones I have.  After all, they aren't useful with the new model.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top