Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 4:44:03 PM EDT
 I had some Malaysian fmj a few years ago that was not fragmenting when shot into water filled gallon milk jugs.  Ok, once in a while it did.

I trimmed off 1 mm or less off tip of bullet and then smoothed it with dremel for feeding.  This resulted in exploding jugs every time.

I know accuracy is less and if you take too much off, the core can separate from the jacket while in barrel.  But these rounds fed and worked great for close range fun.

I now have some Q3131a and XM193 thanks to info I received here about good rounds.  These frag most of the time on jugs, and are good enough as is.

I am wondering if trimming these might shorten the "neck" and make them frag faster or better or be unsafe?  Sure worked on the other stuff.  Btw that Malaysian smells bad too, do not want more.

I have a few V-max, 69 and 77 grain hp's, but do not have funds for a lot of them.  I realize these are better.  thanks

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The only downside to doing what you mentioned is a possible jacket seperation.  I wouldn't do it.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Great way to goose egg your barrel. Don't do it.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The Russian Hollow point ammo is manufactured in this way with a hollow tip and open base. The difference may be that they use thick jackets that are made of a type of "steel".

Funny enough, I was in a gun shop the awhile back and actually saw an apparatus that drilled holes in the tips of FMJ bullets.

I've snipped hundreds of PMC FMJ bullets, which make very nice HPs because they have a hollow cavity at the tip and have never experienced a problem (this is only snipping a very small piece off the top).

That said, there probably is a risk with doing this and I don't want to be the one to post that my barrel blew up because of using snipped ammo. So after over 500 successful rounds of snipped HP I've discontinued this practice.

For milspec 193, I really don't think it is needed.

This is a completely mixed emotion post, take it for what you paid for it. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top