Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 4:39:40 PM EDT
The next part of my latest build is saving for a TA-11 with a piggy-backed RMR, but i'm really stuck on which reticle pattern to get.  I know for sure that I do not want any of the reticles that use the green so I know that red will be my only choice, but which one?  Do the people that have one have any feedback on their reticles?  Im thinking of the red chevron one but not sure.  Any thoughs out there for me?  Thanks!

Matt
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what type of shooting you'll be doing.  

If you'll be doing a lot of closer range fast "snap" shooting, I love the donut.

If you want something a bit more precise, go with the horseshoe.

Have you tried a green Trijicon reticle?  Maybe we have completely different eyes, but the green is a LOT better for me compared to the red.  Good luck in your choice!  Either way you go, you're making an excellent choice with the TA11.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I would echo alot of what Pro2 has said.  The TA11(x) is a most excellent optic (Trijicon's finest, IMHO), and reticle selection is sort of a speed-versus-precision consideration.

My first ACOG is an 11F [red chevron]; I like it just fine for speed, but it is not what I would consider a "precision" reticle.  Having subsequently tried the donut in 31 & 33's, it seems a bit more intuitive than the chevron for maximum speed, but arguably even less of a "precision" reticle.

I bought an 11J [red crosshair] earlier this year for daylight use on my suppressed 6.8 SBR hog gun, and couldn't be more pleased.  While it is not quite as "fast" as the chevron or donut, it does allow very precise shot placement, and is thus quite suitable for my intended application of that platform.  During a recent T&E session using a PVS-22 with the two ACOGs, the crosshair was clearly superior to the chevron, but that is a substantially specialized application involving $10k worth of optics.

Lots of folks rave on the horseshoe; I don't have enough experience with them to comment.  I have also never tried the triangle or circle/chevron.

One other thing to remember is that once one gets into stadia line ranges, the "base" reticle really doesn't matter much.

Alot of folks also rave on the green.  I have stuck with red, since I have several AP's, as well as red illuminated conventional scopes [NXS's, Leupy's], and prefer the consitency.  I do use the amber reticle versus red with my D-740 though, but that is a substantially different application, what with the green screen and minimizing eye fatigue in the night environment.

As far as the "piggyback" RMR goes, you really should try it first before spending the $$$.  To me, the chinweld would be intolerable, but YMMV.  If you are dead set on having a red dot to supplement the ACOG, which I personally find superfluous, you may want to try some of the "cant" mounts such as DD, LT, TNVC, etc.  It is also most beneficial to try out as many ACOGs as possible firsthand before buying.  They are great devices but some folks get "surprised" for various reasons the first time that they look through one...or a different model.

One last comment, if you are cross-eye dominant, BAC might not work particularly well.  I am heavily right eye dominant, and when I mount my ACOG'd weapons left handed, the sight image that I see is an unmagnified one with the reticle floating out in space to the right of the optic.  If I close the right eye, the image is clear through the left, but there is a significant POI shift.  Again, YMMV.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would echo alot of what Pro2 has said.  The TA11(x) is a most excellent optic (Trijicon's finest, IMHO), and reticle selection is sort of a speed-versus-precision consideration.

My first ACOG is an 11F [red chevron]; I like it just fine for speed, but it is not what I would consider a "precision" reticle.  Having subsequently tried the donut in 31 & 33's, it seems a bit more intuitive than the chevron for maximum speed, but arguably even less of a "precision" reticle.

I bought an 11J [red crosshair] earlier this year for daylight use on my suppressed 6.8 SBR hog gun, and couldn't be more pleased.  While it is not quite as "fast" as the chevron or donut, it does allow very precise shot placement, and is thus quite suitable for my intended application of that platform.  During a recent T&E session using a PVS-22 with the two ACOGs, the crosshair was clearly superior to the chevron, but that is a substantially specialized application involving $10k worth of optics.

Lots of folks rave on the horseshoe; I don't have enough experience with them to comment.  I have also never tried the triangle or circle/chevron.

One other thing to remember is that once one gets into stadia line ranges, the "base" reticle really doesn't matter much.

Alot of folks also rave on the green.  I have stuck with red, since I have several AP's, as well as red illuminated conventional scopes [NXS's, Leupy's], and prefer the consitency.  I do use the amber reticle versus red with my D-740 though, but that is a substantially different application, what with the green screen and minimizing eye fatigue in the night environment.

As far as the "piggyback" RMR goes, you really should try it first before spending the $$$.  To me, the chinweld would be intolerable, but YMMV.  If you are dead set on having a red dot to supplement the ACOG, which I personally find superfluous, you may want to try some of the "cant" mounts such as DD, LT, TNVC, etc.  It is also most beneficial to try out as many ACOGs as possible firsthand before buying.  They are great devices but some folks get "surprised" for various reasons the first time that they look through one...or a different model.

One last comment, if you are cross-eye dominant, BAC might not work particularly well.  I am heavily right eye dominant, and when I mount my ACOG'd weapons left handed, the sight image that I see is an unmagnified one with the reticle floating out in space to the right of the optic.  If I close the right eye, the image is clear through the left, but there is a significant POI shift.  Again, YMMV.

Hope this helps.

This is an excellent write up, with excellent advice.  The most important being........TRY AS MANY AS YOU CAN.  

As for me, I really prefer the TA11 as well.  My reticle of choice is the DONUT of DEATH.  It is a great fast reticle.
It does lack behind the crosshair in terms of absolute accuracy, but it is SUPER FAST and works great in BAC
shooting with both eyes open.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that the top of the donut was 100,
like the bottom of the donut = 300

I prefer the red over the green donut - my environment is 95% green, and my eyes are happier w/ the red.
I haven't tried the chevron or the horseshoe, but as mentioned above, the donut is quick but takes more thought for accuracy....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I really appreciate everyones feedback!  I have not tried the green reticle in a live fire situation, only test fitting and looking.  For my eyes, while the green is very bright, it seems to wash out in the environment where I shoot.  I have found that the red reticle sticks out like a sore thumb where I would be shooting 90% of the time; my eyes are very qucikly drawn to the red as opposed to the green.  But those are my eyes.  As far as a piggy-backed red dot is concerned, the TA-11 I tried on my weapon had the green horseshoe reticle with the piggy backed RMR.  For some reason, I had no problem, or did not find it awkward to look through the RMR.  Maybe its my big-ass dome!

I am a 100% recreational shooter; I do it stictly for fun.  I find myself shooting anywhere from up in the hills above the tree-line, to mid-range ranges, to out in the rolling desert.  Out in the desert is where I spend about 85% of my shooting; walking through sage brush for jack rabbits or sitting atop a hill early morning or late evening waiting for Mr. coyote and his friends (badgers or fox).  I am trying to find an optic that will suit my needs the best as I do not have a huge supply of money to throw at multiple optics for different situations. When I do pick an optic, whatever the price may be, I want to make sure this will be my only one for this weapon.   From what I can gather from all my research is that a TA-11 will more than suit my needs.  As I run through the desert after jack rabbits, a magnified optic is hard to see through.  This is where I thought a piggy-backed RMR on the TA-11 would come in handy.  I have not thought about putting a red-dot in a canted mount but it sounds like a solution I should be thinking about.  As far as reticles are concerned, I am leaning towards the red crosshairs or red-chevron because I like the accuracy factor that they offer.

I shoot about once every month or every other month and I know that I can get away with a MUCH cheaper optic and spend my saved money on more ammo, but for some reason, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.  I did not spare any expense when I built my AR and to put an inexpensive optic on it just doesn't sound right!

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your feedback!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top