Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2017 6:36:48 PM EDT
Well I was very intrigued by this sight especially the reticle design. On web sites and video reviews seemed very promising.  Was a little concerned how small this sight was.  Didn't think it through, small sight and tube, small reticle.

So I bought one and got it today.  High anticipation but I am disappointed...before I write my feedback FYI, my eyes are good.
  • The reticle in most lighting situations is barley discernable.  By this I mean the chevron and BDC dots.  The horseshoe is OK.  Depending on background, discernibility varies considerably.  In full sunlight a little better. Now I understand the need to tape a light stick to the fiber optic tube. Maybe the fiber optic tube needs to be longer?  So circle and dot only reticle?
  • In pure dark, the tritium does not light it up much.
  • When using in many light situations I found I was focusing on finding the reticle.  Not good...maybe need to train using this for a bit.
  • Field of view, might be OK, seems a little narrow..  I have been using a 24mm scope and holographic red dot.
  • Size and weight, no issues.
  • As expected the glass and overall quality is superb.
  • With FOV you can see part of the housing on the right side.
  • This reticle should work much better in larger sight/scope.
I've got 30 days in which I can return through Primary Arms.  Speaking of PA, great company to work with compared to others I have bought from.

So any arfcom users used this sight yet?  Or feedback from those that have used ACOGs in the past.  Is my feedback skewed?

At this point I am inclined to return.

mm
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I like your review.  I tried to like the small acog but thought many of the same things about the standard reticle.
I tried a 3x with a horse shoe but did not like seeing the side.  I'd like to see this reticle in a 2x.    I think the 2x
Is a really good balance of power and speed
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I have looked at long yardages with this sight.   The chevron and BDC DOTs are so small its difficult to determine yardages. Placing horseshoe on target OK.  The black lines are so thin too.  With foliage behind target its tough to distinguish the lines.  With clean contrast the reticle is more discernable.  

It might help if the tube was wider and make the reticle a little bigger.

Maybe it is my eyes.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have looked at long yardages with this sight.   The chevron and BDC DOTs are so small its difficult to determine yardages. Placing horseshoe on target OK.  The black lines are so thin too.  With foliage behind target its tough to distinguish the lines.  With clean contrast the reticle is more discernable.  

Maybe it is my eyes.  
View Quote
Have you used ACOGs before? If so, which one(s)?  Also, why did you choose the green reticle?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Maybe it is my eyes.  
View Quote
Man, I've had no such issues with mine.  My home range is about as green looking as it gets and I didn't see any contrast issues and when I went out to the desert I was able to see/range/engage targets at 500 yards pretty easily....   Maybe it's your eyes or a lemon ACOG?

Shooting The BCM RECCE 16 & Trijicon TA44 w/ ACSS Reticle At 500 Yards (HD)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine shows up today hopefully so I can give a hands on impression but I won't get to take it shooting for a few weeks probably.

I went with green fiber optic also
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I know your saying the reticle is small, it probably is but what distance eye relief are you using? Trijicon says 2.4" eye relief so that's about nose to charging handle distance. could be looking too far behind the scope?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I did try various eye relief distances to determine optimal ER distance.  One probably needs 20/40 eyesight to use this sight as designed.

mm
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a TA44S-10 green circle dot.  It was okay.  In certain low lighting, the green does get close to washed out with green foliage.

I might check out a red ACSS version.  Someone sell it cheap on the EE please
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Only issue between the green and red is tritium brightness.  Between a red TA-31h and a green TA-33 (both new) both are good.  Both are bright enough, but the green is noticeably brighter.

Not a deal killer, pick the color that you prefer.  One more comment - the reticle in the TA-33 seems smaller.  Tube size?  For me vision is an issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Under strong lighting it seeable, but as we know that's not always the case.   

I suppose I could do this, use chevron for 0-300 and dots for 400 & 500.   Two ways to use the lines for ranging. Center mass is big enough for this approach.   Not trying to hit a button...

Maybe I will keep this one for grins.  I have an EXPS2-0 for sub optimal lighting situations.  

For by the night stand, will keep the EXPS2 on it.

It is possible to cut light sticks in pieces?  :-)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Under strong lighting it seeable, but as we know that's not always the case.   

I suppose I could do this, use chevron for 0-300 and dots for 400 & 500.   Two ways to use the lines for ranging. Center mass is big enough for this approach.   Not trying to hit a button...

Maybe I will keep this one for grins.  I have an EXPS2-0 for sub optimal lighting situations.  

For by the night stand, will keep the EXPS2 on it.

It is possible to cut light sticks in pieces?  :-)
View Quote
Agreed, it's not.  But, with an etched reticle as soon as you turn your weapon light on it's clearly visible (to me).
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I missed FedEx delivery this morning I'll get it tomorrow now
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Where is your weapon light mounted?  Mine is at the far end of forend.  When I turn it on the reticle virtually disappears.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe green just isn't for you? Try a red one?

Or grab one of their ACSS RDS and throw a magnifier behind it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#16]
So I got my acog yesterday, right off the bat I noticed what the op is saying about the chevron and range dots being so small almost invisible in certain light conditions. But you could always see the horseshoe clearly so it's wasn't like you could not aim, So I don't really feel it's a major issue. But I've only had to scope a few hours and it's not even mounted yet.

The tritium is bright I can see the reticle easily in total darkness

In bright light the reticle is nice and bright, crisp green no distortion at all. Great because I have astigmatism in my eyes.

In a dark room looking outside into the light the reticle showed up boldly in black very visible

So far though I'm liking it a lot, and can't wait to get it on a rifle. I bought the low version to mount on a beretta arx I don't own yet so I don't have a mount high enough for an ar15 yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where is your weapon light mounted?  Mine is at the far end of forend.  When I turn it on the reticle virtually disappears.
View Quote
Same.   My reticle is clearly visible when on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Exactly why we need an LED version
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Exactly why we need an LED version
View Quote
I keep saying that one day they'll combine their LED with fiber optics, and ditch the tritium. Losing the tritium would offset the LED cost substantially, and be an overall more useful lighting source that's far brighter and doesn't dim over time or need factory recharging. Also it would streamline their product catalog substantially, and make international sales a lot easier as their product wouldn't be radioactive. I remember this was a specific reason people speculated the TA-02 was designed in the first place when it was first introduced.

Maybe one day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I keep saying that one day they'll combine their LED with fiber optics, and ditch the tritium. Losing the tritium would offset the LED cost substantially, and be an overall more useful lighting source that's far brighter and doesn't dim over time or need factory recharging. Also it would streamline their product catalog substantially, and make international sales a lot easier as their product wouldn't be radioactive. I remember this was a specific reason people speculated the TA-02 was designed in the first place when it was first introduced.

Maybe one day.
View Quote
And while they are at it they should license Brian  Browe's auto adjusting reticle from him.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
It sounds like you have a problem with your eyes. It's a glass etched reticle, it can't disappear.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It sounds like you have a problem with your eyes. It's a glass etched reticle, it can't disappear.
View Quote
Indeed.   That's the beauty of an etched reticle; should always be clearly visible
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#23]
It is visible but barely at times.  Returning mine.  Will wait for this reticle in LED/Fiber. And hopefully slightly larger tube.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I got my acog yesterday, right off the bat I noticed what the op is saying about the chevron and range dots being so small almost invisible in certain light conditions. But you could always see the horseshoe clearly so it's wasn't like you could not aim, So I don't really feel it's a major issue. But I've only had to scope a few hours and it's not even mounted yet.

The tritium is bright I can see the reticle easily in total darkness

In bright light the reticle is nice and bright, crisp green no distortion at all. Great because I have astigmatism in my eyes.

In a dark room looking outside into the light the reticle showed up boldly in black very visible

So far though I'm liking it a lot, and can't wait to get it on a rifle. I bought the low version to mount on a beretta arx I don't own yet so I don't have a mount high enough for an ar15 yet.
View Quote
Lets see pics when you get this setup put together.
I'm debating on one of these ACOGs or a Aimpoint Micro for my ARX.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#25]
10 years ago this would be the bees knees but if you've accepted the downsides of a scope why not give yourself 1-8 zoom options?  

I have an astigmatism and have always wanted a low power ACOG but couldn't justify it over a quality LPV for the price.  Anyone have similar thoughts?

And regarding the difficult to see stadia, its similar on any ACOG- but if you're taking a 300+m shot, you'll likely have a few seconds to orient yourself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lets see pics when you get this setup put together.
I'm debating on one of these ACOGs or a Aimpoint Micro for my ARX.
View Quote
Might be a while before I get an arx unfortunately but I have my ak with a tws dog leg rail I put the acog on for now. Works fairly well but the front sight post is a little distracting in the scope. I'll post up a pic tonight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I LOVE the concept of a micro Acog... but not with 1.5x. I love the fiber optic tube lighting, and the tritium for low light, as well as how all Acog's are practically bomb proof. You won't find a more durable optic.
However... it's still an optic (etched glass, not RDS). So basically, without magnification, it's a very limited eye relief RDS. No thanks (no matter how durable it is). I don't see any advantage to it other than it's durability, no battery, and glass quality. I can, however, think of numerous negatives to it.
If I'm going to handicap myself with limited eye relief, I want at least 3x to justify it.

Now if they could make a 3 or 4x Acog in THAT (micro) size... I'd be all over it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I LOVE the concept of a micro Acog... but not with 1.5x. I love the fiber optic tube lighting, and the tritium for low light, as well as how all Acog's are practically bomb proof. You won't find a more durable optic.
However... it's still an optic (etched glass, not RDS). So basically, without magnification, it's a very limited eye relief RDS. No thanks (no matter how durable it is). I don't see any advantage to it other than it's durability, no battery, and glass quality. I can, however, think of numerous negatives to it.
If I'm going to handicap myself with limited eye relief, I want at least 3x to justify it.

Now if they could make a 3 or 4x Acog in THAT (micro) size... I'd be all over it!
View Quote
Like a TA-50?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's a pic on my ak with tws dog leg rail. Low mount ta44 with adm qd. height is perfect on the ak. I tried to get pics of the reticle with my iPhone but they don't turn out well. Still I'm happy with this optic so far. Can't wait to shoot with it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Reluctantly I sent mine back yesterday.  Just wasn't comfortable with the fact there are situations where the reticle was difficult to find/see.  And didn't like the fact that paying $1032 for a sight and not able to fully utilize ALL the features, specifically the chevron/BDC dots for ranging and in some situations, POAing, mostly just the horseshoe is utilized. And the eye box is very limited.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Reluctantly I sent mine back yesterday.  Just wasn't comfortable with the fact there are situations where the reticle was difficult to find/see.  And didn't like the fact that paying $1032 for a sight and not able to fully utilize ALL the features, specifically the chevron/BDC dots for ranging and in some situations, POAing, mostly just the horseshoe is utilized. And the eye box is very limited.
View Quote
At 1.5x those BDC stadia are going to be increadibly thin and small.

Not that they arent useful when a situation allows their use, but if you are looking into a wooded area with shade, i imagine the contrast just isnt going to be there for you to quickly acquire some of the no-illumination drops.

I am still wanting to try the 1.5 model, but I might go for a standard circle dot instead and save a bit of coin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I tried the 26s which is similar (1.5 ACOG but with a different mounting system).

the worst of the ACOG without enough magnification to be useful.  Better than irons, of course, but a red dot would be much better.  Since I have astigmatism, red dots don't work so well for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#33]

On a RS mount and SLR-106FR
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top