Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2009 9:52:11 AM EDT
Has anyone used one of these? How are they?

I've been trying to find a good review on them, but can't seem to find any...
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one on my 7.5" SBR and love it.  Built like a tank, dot shows up in ANY light condition and you get a lower 1/3 cowitness when using BUIS.  I also have the older Reflex II and this RX30 just kicks the Reflex II's ass.  The 42mm lense is just the right size and not as big as it looks in the pictures.  I took this picture before I added the new Magpul MBUIS (in FDE).

MadDog

Link Posted: 4/14/2009 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
How would you rank it compared to the Aimpoint Comp M series reflex sights?
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an RX30 on a SBR 9mm AR.  I really like it but it has some distinct advantages and drawbacks when compared to a Comp M series sight.  
One obvious plus is that it doesn't take batteries.  RX30>CompM
It also has a huge 42mm objective which I really really like.   RX30>CompM
The dot itself is quite large and makes for super fast up close speed.  RX30>CompM
All of the below listed disadvantages are somewhat moot points if you have a good set of back up iron sights.
The red dot emitter is located behind the 42mm objective and could easily become covered with dirt or mud causing the red dot to not be visible until cleaned.  CompM>RX30
The shock absorbing mount is also the adjustment for sighting in so durability could potentially be a problem but ???  
The red dot is too big for longer distance shooting IMO.  I think it is 6.5moa if I recall.  For longer ranges CompM>RX30  
The red dot will wash out inside if you use a flashlight attached to the weapons forend.  CompM>RX30
The red dot will somewhat wash out when you are looking from a relatively dark area towards a very bright area (inside looking outside) but not badly.  CompM>RX30

Obviously these are only my opinions but I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have EOTech, RX-30 and Aimpoint CompM4 on ARs. If you are interested in long range, the 1 MOA dot (inside 65 MOA ring) of the EOTech is hard to beat, along with the fast target acquisition. The RX-30 has a 6 MOA dot and with its 42 mm objective, is ALMOST as fast as the EOTech.

The CompM4 has a 4 MOA dot, and will run 50,000 hours on REPLACEABLE batteries. This is a nice sight but it's an $800 unit, costs about twice as much as the RX-30 or the EOTech 516. While a nice scope, I'm not sure it's worth two EOTechs or two RX-30s.

The RX-30 will run 10-14 years on its tritium bulb which is NOT user replaceable. There is also a LONG wait list for this optic, so if you don't already have one, it may be a LONG time before you see one. Apparently Trijicon is filling their .MIL orders first (I don't blame them)

The EOTech will run (??) hours on its (various different types of) batteries. 2X N, 2X AA, 2X CR123, etc. The EOTech 516 with its CR-123 batteries (used in many tactical flashlights) last the longest.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Of the three, I like the EOTech best..
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Just FYI, the Comp M4 has a 2MOA dot, not 4. Also, $800 is a little high. LaRue sells it for $702 and they include their excellent mount.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You're right about the price! There are several M4 "packages" and I paid closer to $700 for my unit, a 4 MOA unit (2 MOA available) including the killflash and the equally excellent Aimpoint mount for the M4. I have several LaRues and swear by them, but I actually liked the Aimpoint mount better than LaRue's - I tried both. Nice sight, but I think I paid as much for the M4 as for BOTH of my CompC3s...
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is the best place to purchase an RX30 now?  

I'd also like to use a Larue mount - which one would make sense with the RX30 ?

This doesn't seem like a super popular optic, but I'm tired of having to replace my Eotech batteries if I leave them in the sight for any period of time. I leave one of my AR's in the house, and don't trust that the battery will still be working after a few months of inactivity, or want to fumble with finding the button if I need it in the wee morning hours.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where is the best place to purchase an RX30 now?  

I'd also like to use a Larue mount - which one would make sense with the RX30 ?

This doesn't seem like a super popular optic, but I'm tired of having to replace my Eotech batteries if I leave them in the sight for any period of time. I leave one of my AR's in the house, and don't trust that the battery will still be working after a few months of inactivity, or want to fumble with finding the button if I need it in the wee morning hours.

Thanks,

I don't think LaRue has a mount for it, however Mark will make custom mounts as needed. At least that's my understanding anyway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Great sight and I need one!

love the huge objective window!!!

questions:

how does it look in low light or no light conditions?

how does the dot look like through a NVG in dark condition?
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I couldn't tell you how the dot looks with night vision equipment because I don't have any but it works just fine in low light.  If it is too dark for the fiber optic to pick up ambient light, then the tritium takes over and is very noticable, even in total darkness.

MadDog
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked one up today, great sight

I think it is a perfect sight for my 9mm AR.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Does the reticle work well with NVG?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Regarding the mount, I think the new guys take acog mounts????  I'm on the cusp of getting that setup, just want to close on my apt first!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#14]
RX30 uses the same mounts as the standard Reflex sights but on some you have to use a spacer and on some you omit the spacer.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top