Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:00:19 PM EDT
Ok looking for an SPR scope.  

Basically have narrowed it down to the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 or the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 when its released.  

Obviously there is a pretty good price difference between the two but I am willing to pay for the Accupoint if its that much better plus there would be no waiting for this one.  Also would prefer the night illumination which it doesn't seem the Vortex is going to have.  I am not set in stone on these two and am open to other suggestions.  Thanks

Shooting will mostly be done from 100-200 yds but would like the ability to reach out to 500 + which is why I am looking at adjustable ranges.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL!

You're a bit ahead of yourself.  The 2.5-10x Vortex hasn't even been released to the public yet!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
LOL!

You're a bit ahead of yourself.  The 2.5-10x Vortex hasn't even been released to the public yet!

Oh I know, I guess I should have just asked for reviews of the Trijicon.

It might take me a month or so to save for the Accupoint and was mainly wondering if it was worth the cost or if there was something comparable for the same price.

I am thinking of just picking up a Millett DMS-1 for now and then transferring it to my AR-22 when I get the new optic.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I am probably leaning toward the Trijicon myself.  Either the 2.5-10 or the 5-20.  I want the illumination.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Im probably going to bite the bullet and get a few trijicons accupoints. I need one for my MSAR my M1A and my PTR 91. For 2 main reasons. Its a trijicon so quality will be outstanding and 2 they are from (3-9x)575-(5-20x)800.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Im gonna bite on one too
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have also been taking a serious look at the tr22 with the post and triangle. It would be going on a 20" SDM type rifle. This would be used for hunting ranging from prone with a bi pod to offhand shooting of moving targets (jack rabbits). I have a few questions for those with experience using this scope.

1.  How well will it work for fast moving targets at ranges of 25-75 yards. I am willing to put in the practice time to get the whole binden thing down but don't want to waste my time if this is not a practical use for the scope. For reference I've hunted rabbits with 10/22s and iron sights for years and am looking for something that would be ruffly as effective.

2.  How are the turrets? I would think hold overs would be difficult with the triangle so having at least a good elevation turret would be important. I will be hand loading a standardized hunting round and would mark the turret for distances kind of like a redneck BDC turret. That being the case I don't care if the adjustments are in mil or moa or whatever as long as they are repeatable. I have read that the 3 gun guys are using the turrets on the 1-4 model to dial on the move and seem pretty happy with it. Are these the same turrets as the 2.5-10?

3.  The large bell is usually brought up as the biggest downside of this scope. It is going on a fairly large rifle and I am a pretty big guy so the weight is not really an issue. It comes in the same Larue mount as the 3-9 version. The center line being the same the top of the bell would stick up 8mm or ruffly 1/3" more than the 3-9. Is this really that big a deal? I am also looking at the 3-9 but it seems the wider field of view of the 2.5-10 would be worth the extra size.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have also been taking a serious look at the tr22 with the post and triangle. It would be going on a 20" SDM type rifle. This would be used for hunting ranging from prone with a bi pod to offhand shooting of moving targets (jack rabbits). I have a few questions for those with experience using this scope.

Don't count myself as an experience shooter but have been using this scope for about two years, mostly for longer distance shooting i.e. 100-600 yards.

1.  How well will it work for fast moving targets at ranges of 25-75 yards. I am willing to put in the practice time to get the whole binden thing down but don't want to waste my time if this is not a practical use for the scope. For reference I've hunted rabbits with 10/22s and iron sights for years and am looking for something that would be ruffly as effective.

Can't help you here since I use an Aimpoint CompM4s for the close in stuff, and I only use it for long distance (100-600 yards) work, so I don’t practice the binden thing with this optics.  The 2.5x is pretty low power and so my guess is that it would track a fast moving target well.  As for the binden technique, my guess is that it would take a bit more getting use to compared to an unmagnified red dot due to the slight magnification.

2.  How are the turrets? I would think hold overs would be difficult with the triangle so having at least a good elevation turret would be important. I will be hand loading a standardized hunting round and would mark the turret for distances kind of like a redneck BDC turret. That being the case I don't care if the adjustments are in mil or moa or whatever as long as they are repeatable. I have read that the 3 gun guys are using the turrets on the 1-4 model to dial on the move and seem pretty happy with it. Are these the same turrets as the 2.5-10?

Mine is the mil-dot not the triangle, and the adjustments are in MOA.  Hold over I think would be easier with the Mil-dot.  The turret clicks are clear by both tactile audible feedback and they are completely repeatable (at least with a 556/223 rifle).  A reset is present so you can zero the adjusters once you are zeroed in.  Don’t have the 1-4 but the manual is the same so most likely the same adjusters in both scopes – the only one which is defiantly different is the 5-10x50 model which has external adjusters.

3.  The large bell is usually brought up as the biggest downside of this scope. It is going on a fairly large rifle and I am a pretty big guy so the weight is not really an issue. It comes in the same Larue mount as the 3-9 version. The center line being the same the top of the bell would stick up 8mm or ruffly 1/3" more than the 3-9. Is this really that big a deal? I am also looking at the 3-9 but it seems the wider field of view of the 2.5-10 would be worth the extra size.

The large bell is there because of the brightness of this scope and is pretty much consistent in the theme of this optic which is the ability to see and shoot in low/bad light situation with greater light gathering ability (56 mm objective) and the FO/Tritium illuminated Reticle.  I have mine mated with the LaRue LT104-30 and there is no problem with clearance on my M&P-15 VTEC.  My rifle weights in around 9.5 lbs without a mag and +1lb with the 30 round mag loaded – so not bad.

Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't count myself as an experience shooter but have been using this scope for about two years, mostly for longer distance shooting i.e. 100-600 yards.

Can't help you here since I use an Aimpoint CompM4s for the close in stuff, and I only use it for long distance (100-600 yards) work, so I don’t practice the binden thing with this optics.  The 2.5x is pretty low power and so my guess is that it would track a fast moving target well.  As for the binden technique, my guess is that it would take a bit more getting use to compared to an unmagnified red dot due to the slight magnification.

Mine is the mil-dot not the triangle, and the adjustments are in MOA.  Hold over I think would be easier with the Mil-dot.  The turret clicks are clear by both tactile audible feedback and they are completely repeatable (at least with a 556/223 rifle).  A reset is present so you can zero the adjusters once you are zeroed in.  Don’t have the 1-4 but the manual is the same so most likely the same adjusters in both scopes – the only one which is defiantly different is the 5-10x50 model which has external adjusters.

The large bell is there because of the brightness of this scope and is pretty much consistent in the theme of this optic which is the ability to see and shoot in low/bad light situation with greater light gathering ability (56 mm objective) and the FO/Tritium illuminated Reticle.  I have mine mated with the LaRue LT104-30 and there is no problem with clearance on my M&P-15 VTEC.  My rifle weights in around 9.5 lbs without a mag and +1lb with the 30 round mag loaded – so not bad.

Thanks for the help.

Very good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok so I am wondering now if I should go with the TR22 or the TR20.

Any opinions on which would be a better choice for my application?  Both would be going in a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#10]
It’s pretty much dependent on  your application and personal choice since the two scopes are quite different:

TR20 – 3-9x40
TR22 – 2.5-10x56

So I would say that for:

Poor light shooting – TR22 (big plus)
Longer distance shooting  - TR22 (slightly better)
Close-up Binden – TR22 (slightly better)
Weight – TR20
Price – TR20

I chose the TR22 because both the weight and price were not significant factors for me.  I wanted the flexibility offered for poor light shooting and higher/lower magnification range the TR22 offered.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
TR-22.  IMHO it's a better scope that will be more versatile than the Vortex.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It’s pretty much dependent on  your application and personal choice since the two scopes are quite different:

TR20 – 3-9x40
TR22 – 2.5-10x56

So I would say that for:

Poor light shooting – TR22 (big plus)
Longer distance shooting  - TR22 (slightly better)
Close-up Binden – TR22 (slightly better)
Weight – TR20
Price – TR20

I chose the TR22 because both the weight and price were not significant factors for me.  I wanted the flexibility offered for poor light shooting and higher/lower magnification range the TR22 offered.

Good points and pretty much what I was thinking as well.  Now I am just looking for a TR22-2G since I am looking for the Mil-Dot crosshair and have heard the green dot is slightly better than the amber.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top