Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 1:35:22 AM EDT
I was shooting my AR the other day and I could swear I was getting some trigger slap.  Is this possible with an AR?  What is the fix?

Checked the FAQ, but I missed anything on this problem.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was shooting my AR the other day and I could swear I was getting some trigger slap.  Is this possible with an AR?  What is the fix?

Checked the FAQ, but I missed anything on this problem.

Thanks.

trigger slap on a ar?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:46:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
You nailed it again Tweak.

I did one of those 15 minute trigger jobs on my hammer spring a while back and although I like the trigger pull and it never light strikes I think the weakened spring is allowing the hammer to swing too fast and far.  

Now, to replace the spring with my spare or cut a little off the hammer spur.  Decisions, decisions...

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
usually easier to remove material from the top of the disco. cutting on the hammer can marginally decrease lock time tho. I doubt it's the hammer spring as the carrier cams the hammer back regardless (within reason) of the hammer spring. It's usually caused (if the FCG was good previously) by correcting improper timing by cutting the nose of the disco.

I had installed new FCG parts (hammer, trigger disco, springs and pins) a little while back as I was experiencing doubling problems.  I didn't notice any slap, but the hammer spring was a lot more stiff than the old one and so the trigger required more pressure before release.  I cut one spring leg to 3/4 inch, but did not bend the other so I ended up with a lighter trigger and still had pretty good lock time.  This past weekend I put about 300 rounds down range and the slap was just enough to make me wonder if that's what I was really feeling.  

My theory was that the hammer was actually bouncing off the bottom of the carrier and hitting the disco due to the weakened spring.

Or not.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top