Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 1:12:09 PM EDT
The trigger and hammer pins have 2 grooves on them and I would like to know if there is a correct orientation that they should be inserted.  Do the grooves hold the sprimg legs?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The grooves are used to retain the pins in place, there's a little spring arm in the trigger and hammer assemblies.  However, the design allow you to insert the pins in either hole and in either orientation, with no problems.  It's GI proof
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a pin inside the hammer called a J pin that snaps into the center groove in the hammer pin.
The trigger pin is retained by one of the hammer spring legs setting on top of and in the outside groove of the trigger pin.

There in no "little spring arm" in the trigger of a standard type AR trigger
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, either way looks like orientation does not matter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The orientation of the hammer pin matters only when you install or remove it.  Insert the pin with the SMOOTH END IN FIRST-this will get the pin started through the hammer without the "J" spring in the hammer catching on anything until the pin is seated.  Likewise, when you remove the pin, you want the GROOVED END OUT FIRST.  You can make sure this happens by installing both trigger and hammer pins in the same direction, so the trigger pin tells you which end has the groove.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a pin inside the hammer called a J pin that snaps into the center groove in the hammer pin.
The trigger pin is retained by one of the hammer spring legs setting on top of and in the outside groove of the trigger pin.

There in no "little spring arm" in the trigger of a standard type AR trigger

Thanks, I'm such a moron
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The orientation of the hammer pin matters only when you install or remove it.  Insert the pin with the SMOOTH END IN FIRST-this will get the pin started through the hammer without the "J" spring in the hammer catching on anything until the pin is seated.  Likewise, when you remove the pin, you want the GROOVED END OUT FIRST.  You can make sure this happens by installing both trigger and hammer pins in the same direction, so the trigger pin tells you which end has the groove.

Excellent point! I did mine this way because Brownells (I think) recommended it. Read it somewhere anyway. Why force two pin grooves through the hammer's j-pin when you don't want to be tapping more on the receiver than you have to. And like GHPorter said, having both pins oriented the same way lets you know which way to remove the hammer pin without getting stuck on the j-pin a second time.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top