Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2003 7:50:30 PM EDT
I have plastic ones on my bushmasters but I am thinking of changing to aluminum wich do you folks prefer? and where can I get a couple?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Plastic AR trigger guards don't hold up very well here in NH when you're shooting in January at 30 below zero and have to move it when you're wearing heavy gloves. For such an inexpensive part it seems like a pretty cheesy way to save a buck.

You can buy a proper metal trigger guard for $5.00 at [url=http://www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/items/ARLowerparts.htm]Georgia Precision[/url]

Click on the light orders button for $1.95 shipping.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The logic behind the plastic is that if the triggerguard takes a hit, it will break versus bending like aluminum would.  The bending could make the trigger inaccessible.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
any place that sells other lower parts should have them.

I changed the plastic one out of one of my Bushies so they were all metal.

I don't understand the plastic part being installed on these things!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
They came on my preban carbines 11 years ago but I am kinda tired of them seeing as how the military still uses a metal one,and thanks for the info $10 bucks for 2 is very good thanks CJAN_NH
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Bushmasters have plastic trigger guards installed? How cheesy, I'm surprised at that.

As far as the aluminum trigger guards bending, I beat around my issued M16A1s and A2s for 8 years, I have seen these rifles banging around in the floor of an M113 APC, run over by wheeled vehicles, dropped, used as a club, as a hammer, as a lever, and abused many different ways, but I have NEVER seen the trigger guard bend in so as to make the trigger inaccessible. I'm not buying that as a reason to have a plastic guard....
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The logic behind the plastic is that if the triggerguard takes a hit, it will break versus bending like aluminum would. The bending could make the trigger inaccessible.
View Quote

If one of my ARs fell hard enough to bend the trigger guard I'd worry about the rest of the gun before I worried about the trigger guard.

If the plastic trigger guard shatters during a fall then the trigger has no protection whatsoever. Even if a metal guard got bent far enough to snag the trigger it would be a simple matter of flipping it down to the winter position. Besides, the most likely place for the trigger guard to bend is in the middle, far forward of the trigger.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it appears that the justification for using a plastic guard over a metal one is flimsy at best-particularly when the plastic guard breaks in the extreme cold anyway.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Armalite includes very nice aluminum trigger guards in their lower parts kits, FYI.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bushmasters have plastic trigger guards installed? How cheesy, I'm surprised at that.

As far as the aluminum trigger guards bending, I beat around my issued M16A1s and A2s for 8 years, I have seen these rifles banging around in the floor of an M113 APC, run over by wheeled vehicles, dropped, used as a club, as a hammer, as a lever, and abused many different ways, but I have NEVER seen the trigger guard bend in so as to make the trigger inaccessible. I'm not buying that as a reason to have a plastic guard....
View Quote

I did 3.5 years in the Army as well and know full well how the rifles are abused.  The reasoning is not mine.  It's what the manufacturers claim when asked about the construction.

Just a thought, though.  With all the abuse taken by the plastic buttstock and handguards, why are we so concerned about the triggerguard?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Armalite includes very nice aluminum trigger guards in their lower parts kits, FYI.
View Quote

My RRA parts kit came with aluminum as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it appears that the justification for using a plastic guard over a metal one is flimsy at best-particularly when the plastic guard breaks in the extreme cold anyway.
View Quote

You're welcome to argue with me all you like...it's not my reason.  [:D]

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I would think the detente would pop out before the guard would bend, they are fairly stout.

Also there is the factor of protecting the trigger; if the plastic guard breaks, yes the trigger is unencumbered, but it will also take the blow that would have been shielded by the aluminum guard - might be easier to bend back than fire the weapon with a broken trigger group. Just trying to reason out how this would happen since I have never seen it happen.

There's no doubt - we need two volunteers to do a trigger guard torture test - preferably with two Hesse Arms AR15s so that that it will be no great loss if they are damaged in the torture test :-)
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I just think people think too much.  Look at us arguing the merits of aluminum versus plastic for a part as insignificant as a triggerguard when two major componnents of the rifle are plastic.  Does it really matter?  It's a triggerguard people...and we're worried about it being cheesy?  Who cares what it's made of!

[:D]  
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You're welcome to argue with me all you like...it's not my reason.  [:D]

View Quote

I understand that it isn't your reasoning...seriously...I do [:D][:D]

The only reason I feel strongly about it is because I flip them down to the winter position frequently when I'm shooting in the middle of winter. Maybe I just need thinner gloves [:)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
You could just buy a Cav Arms lower [:)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You could just buy a Cav Arms lower [:)]
View Quote

Mrs CJan wants a purple or a blue one [:O]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#16]
let me clarify,I posed the question based on asthetics and feel.If I were worried about cheesy or flimsy I would have a metal telestock,wich can shatter in extreme cold and an aluminum free float fore end instead of M4 handguards.Im going with the aluminum cause I just think it looks better and is closer to its real military counterpart.When I was in the service I never saw one break or bend but Im sure it could happen.So let me ask this wich do you think would be stronger?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just think people think too much.  Look at us arguing the merits of aluminum versus plastic for a part as insignificant as a triggerguard when two major componnents of the rifle are plastic.  Does it really matter?  It's a triggerguard people...and we're worried about it being cheesy?  Who cares what it's made of!

View Quote

I would argue that it protects one of the key components of the weapon - the trigger - and therefore it is critical what material it is made out of. Unless you can fire the rifle without a functioning trigger...
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#18]
So DR wich do think is better to be made of aluminum or plastic?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I would argue that it protects one of the key components of the weapon - the trigger - and therefore it is critical what material it is made out of. Unless you can fire the rifle without a functioning trigger...
View Quote

But theoretically either could make the trigger inoperable.  Aluminum is stronger, but more brittle and a bend could obstruct operation of the trigger.  Plastic has more give on impact, but could shatter leaving the trigger exposed.  Obviously, one is no better than the other.  You take your chances either way.  How many of us really have enough combat experience to argue about something so trivial.  Armchair commandos (myself included) can find things to argue about all day long because we don't have the answers either way.  Personally, I find it amusing that people actually worry about the combat worthiness of their triggerguard.  I would rather spend my time discussing the merits of stocks, barrels, and optics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If you would rather spend time discussing the merits of stocks,optics and barrels then you should not have replied to the post.Like I said my question was based on asthetics and feel not combat.Since you posed the question when I used my 16 in the service the trigger guard never had a bearing on how my rifle worked under fire.
I simply wanted others opinions on what they thought between the two.I wasnt looking for a combat evaluation..."been there,Done that"I swear sometimes this site needs an enema.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you would rather spend time discussing the merits of stocks,optics and barrels then you should not have replied to the post.Like I said my question was based on asthetics and feel not combat.Since you posed the question when I used my 16 in the service the trigger guard never had a bearing on how my rifle worked under fire.
I simply wanted others opinions on what they thought between the two.I wasnt looking for a combat evaluation..."been there,Done that"I swear sometimes this site needs an enema.
View Quote

I apologize for misunderstanding your question.  To be honest, I was so caught up in the discussion of aluminum verses plastic that I didn't even see your subsequent posts.  Please understand that my jesting was not aimed at you at all...only those who want to argue aluminum versus plastic.  [;)]  I just find it amusing that such a topic can actually start an argument.  Anyway, I was mechanized infantry for 3.5 years and I never saw a triggerguard bend or break either.  I've also never seen a plastic one used under similar conditions so it's impossible for me to compare the two.  I don't have an opinion either way as I don't think one is better than the other.  As far as aesthetics and feel, they are identical parts so I think the comparison is moot.  The only real comparison between the two is which does the military use.  If you want a weapon that is identical to the military one, then aluminum is your choice.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#22]
And I apologize if I came back at you strong,no offense taken.Im gonna go aluminum just to have it as close as possible.Beleive me ive had my share of misunderstandings also.I often get caught up when feeling passionate about a topic.
Mechanized infantry,lucky dog I was 11 bravo also only when I was in we werent lucky enough to be mechanized,had to walk every where except for the ocasional chopper ride.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#23]
To be honest, when I did my most recent lower build I had to tap the triggerguard to see if it was aluminum because I really couldn't tell once it was installed.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And I apologize if I came back at you strong,no offense taken.Im gonna go aluminum just to have it as close as possible.Beleive me ive had my share of misunderstandings also.I often get caught up when feeling passionate about a topic.
Mechanized infantry,lucky dog I was 11 bravo also only when I was in we werent lucky enough to be mechanized,had to walk every where except for the ocasional chopper ride.
View Quote

I thought I was lucky, too, until I got thrown around the back of a track the first time!  [;)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive had the same problems with 1911s,triggers,mainspring housings and on my paraordnance the mag catch also.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Aluminum, ones
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
To BraddD,I always prefered a little knocking around to flying[:D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Plastic AR trigger guards don't hold up very well here in NH when you're shooting in January at 30 below zero and have to move it when you're wearing heavy gloves. For such an inexpensive part it seems like a pretty cheesy way to save a buck.

You can buy a proper metal trigger guard for $5.00 at [url=http://www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/items/ARLowerparts.htm]Georgia Precision[/url][/url]

Actually, if you want a trigger guard that looks as close as possible to the Colt (or GI0 piece, do NOT buy the piece that Georgia Prcision and most of the others are selling. It's a Rock River part and it  (and almost all the other aftermarket pieces) is a really sleazy looking shiny solid black.

The only source I've found for aftermarket trigger guards that duplicate the Colt color without Colt prices is US Gunparts down in Alabama ([url]www.usgunparts,com[/url]).  L.D. McPherson, the owner, has been a source for me for over 15 years, at Atlanta area gun shows.
Last time I saw him, he told me that he was working on a milspec colored source for the mag release buttons too, so if you've got one of the shiny black ones on your rifle, you might also ask about those too.

either way, though; shiny black or milspec colored, get a metal piece. Plastic sucks[:D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#29]
My RRA parts kit came with an aluminum triggerguard that matches my lower perfectly.  It's not shiny black at all.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My RRA parts kit came with an aluminum triggerguard that matches my lower perfectly.  It's not shiny black at all.  
View Quote

Then you got the only one they ever put on[:D] I've looked at literally hundreds of RR lowers at shows. Every damn one of them, and every DPMS and J&T I've ever seen had the black sleaze unit. Go and put your RR lower up against a factory Colt unit, and you'll see what I mean.  Oddly enough, the Bushie plastic piece IS the right color.

Of course, if you have a RR lower that's much over a year old, it'll have the really black anodising that RR was using until recently, I have one also (serial #0022xx). The black TG doesn't show up as badly on these, thiugh you can still see it in bright sunlight.  The recent lower I bought(serial #22xxx) is a much closer match to the Biushie and Colt lowers, and the black TG shows up much more.

If you're happy with what you've got, just ignore my first post[:D].  If yo're a (semi) perfectionist like me, contact L.D.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So DR wich do think is better to be made of aluminum or plastic?
View Quote

you asked, so....

There is no doubt in my mind that forged 7075 aluminum would be better than plastic for a trigger guard. The M16 has been through several wars now, and lessons learned on the battlefield are learned hard, and I think the latests variants, the M16A4 and the M4A1 reflect these lessons. They still use an aluminum trigger guard.  Plastic is fine for most civilian applications, but if my life depends on my rifle, I know I want a USGI spec aluminum trigger guard on my mouse gun.

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I just wish they made the aluminum with edges you couldnt shave with.

Ive taken a file to all of my aluminum guards and took the edges down.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top