Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 8:35:50 AM EDT
Ok, tell me what you like?

I bought an old M-16 upper that came with the old triangle handguards.  I swapped them out for a set of rounds ones.  I guess after years of shooting the round handguards that I could not get used to the the triangle.

I love the look of the triangle - esp. the SP-1's.  After shooting a gun with this upper, I am rethinking if I even want an SP-1.

What is your take?

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an SP1 upper that was given to me by my FIL.  To be honest, I don't think I've even put 30 rounds through it.  I just cannot get used to the triangular guards.  I vote round for the most comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I put a set on my Dissy after modifying the heat shields so they would fit, yes it looks great but after shooting with them I put the originals back on.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]

For shooting off-hand, I actually prefer the triangle handguards to the newer rounded ones.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the triangular, but as an old vet friend of mine told me, after a couple blood blisters from the gap between the two I found why so many of them wound up with tape covering the handguards. Still love them but they will bite if you shoot them enough. I am willing to bet that is why the split is now horizontal and no longer verticle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The triangles look good from a nostalgia standpoint and I like them

The again small ones are comfortable to shoot

6 of one half dozen of another

I know that doesn't help but I understand the dilemma

...Goodredfish-er

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the triangular ones better. I've shoot both my 20" SP1 with triangle HGs and a friend's 20" A2 with round HGs and the triangular ones are more comfortable to me. And I really dont see how people can get "bitten" but the holes on the bottom of the HGs unless your hand is up near the FSB or you're holding it from the top of the HGs. I prefer to have something smooth on my hand rather than ribbed HGs. Same goes for pistol grips (I prefer the A1 over the A2 because there's no finger groove or serations on the back). But go with whatever feels best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Both....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Both.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Now adays you can even get a pair for a carbine, at Total Silence. (for a good example, see UXB's carbine collection... )
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Today----37 years later-----I can still make out the scar on the palm of my left hand-----same inflicted by the sharp "vent hole tips" of the triangular handguards on my '16 during bayonet practice at Ft. Ord.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
My hands slide around on the triangular guards shooting slung up prone or sitting. I haven't tried round handguards, but I imagine they wouldn't slide nearly as bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the look of my first former AR SP-1 back in '71 but when I traded it in with a Sporter II with A2 handguards in '84, I like the function of the new model better because my hand have better grip.

If I ever get another SP-1 later on, I'll probably just switch to the A2 handguards before using it and switch back to the original one back home.

Just use the one that feels the best to you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the round ones because they are built better and they don't pinch my hands.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's another one: staright (A1 and earlier) or sloped (A2 and later) delta ring?  Personally, I prefer the straight ring.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
You mean everyone doesn't have rails on all there AR's?  I prefer the look of the triangular handguards myself.

TS
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
For my purposes these things are toys.  I use both triangular FE A1 and round FE A2 20s at MG shoots.  I find no significant differences in controllability during FA as a function of either:  handguard type or barrel profile.  This may sound odd given the heavier profile of the A2 govt barrel.  I also find no difference in terms of precision, pointability, or comfort level.

FWIW, the big aperture on the A2 sights are an advantage during FA - allowing the sight picture to be easily maintained through mag dumps.  The best combination, IMO, would be A2 apertures on the simpler A1 receiver.

The LMG upper is a different kettle of fish, stable enough with even a small aperture.  But note that it has a rectangular forend..........again, neither an advantage nor a disadvantage during FA, IME.

Both forends have "cool" factor.  

Sam
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My hands slide around on the triangular guards shooting slung up prone or sitting. I haven't tried round handguards, but I imagine they wouldn't slide nearly as bad.

+1, i tried to shoot a few hi-power matches with triangles, but could not get a consistant grip,
even though i like the look of the triangles better , i shoot with A2's on my service rifle,

however
i have a set of A1's on my M16!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I find myself enjoying the feel of the triangle more than the round.
its all good
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Here's another one: staright (A1 and earlier) or sloped (A2 and later) delta ring?  Personally, I prefer the straight ring.

The older straight ring looks better, but the newer delta ring is much easier to get a grip on when pulling off the handguards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
D'oh!

Double tap.  Proceed to post below...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the triangular handguards for short-barrel carbines, and I like the straight handguard sliprings for the "retro"-appeal.  However, the XM handguards are a bitch to install and remove, even using the handguard removal tool and having another person helping.  Just no easy way...

But, boy, do they feel good (and look good, too).

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the round ones for feel but for looks i have a old SP1 that i keep all original with the triangle guards. On the carbine side for the best feel, I like the oval M4 style the best if im not going with a VFG
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I like both version of handguards. I think the round ones are slightly more comfortable IMO but the triangle guards are definitely better looking and.........ya gotta have 'em for the retro AR's!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Round is my preference. Reason is they give the rifle smooth appearance with the round barrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Where do you get the triangle carbine handguards???
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Do the carbine handguard fit the round front mount? I have been looking for these.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#29]
The carbine handguards came from WA_Tom at Total Silence, Inc.  The FSB has to be removed and the round carbine handguard endcap switched out for a triangular handguard cap.  Both front and rear endcaps are provided with the handguards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I like them both but I have no problems since I have an SP1, and I just had an A2 upper built (100% Colt of course), and just switch them depending on my mood..and before we strat something here, yes I do use the same bolt carrier and yes both uppers are properly headspaced so the rifle will not blow up in my hands.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top