Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/24/2014 6:02:46 AM EDT
So a guy on armlist loved my set up - I had a REM 700 SPS Tactical in a Manners Stock.  I had about $1500 total into the rifle.  He said he didn't have cash on hand but could trade me straight up for a DPMS SASS with a cheap osprey scope which I recently put up on ebay to help fund better glass.

Just curious if you guys think I did the right thing.  I've always wanted a semi-auto 308 and I didn't lose any money on this deal.  His set up was close to $2300.

The SASS is one heavy beast as I'm sure some of you already know.  But for some reason I like how big this thing is....feels solid.  Just curious about your opinions on it and if I should put it back on armslist and continue trading up or get a decent cash offer and go for what I really wanted someday....an LMT MWS 308.

Maybe since I've never fired a semi-auto 308 this will get me hooked and upgrade to an LMT later.  Appreciate your insight.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:04:07 AM EDT
Oh and the SASS only had a 100 rounds through the barrel...not a scratch on it.  Looked like it was brand new off the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:29:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2014 6:33:13 AM EDT by Norinco982lover]
If you are happy then it was a good deal.

It's pretty easy to find the prices of a dpms sass

I have done trades in the past, including the recent past, that were not overall beneficial to me on the $$ side but I was trading a gun I didn't want and couldn't seem to sell for a gun that I did want and knew I could sell if I didn't like it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:45:01 AM EDT
Is it as heavy or heavier than your Remington? Just curious. I shot my Lite Hunter for the first time which weighs in around 10 pounds with the scope. Not as bad as shooting a light hunting rifle but not as easy on the shoulder as shooting my Savage FP.

Anyway, enjoy. Haven't seen a SASS for $1500 so you probably did good and who knows, it might shoot as good as your Remington did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:34:20 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Is it as heavy or heavier than your Remington? Just curious. I shot my Lite Hunter for the first time which weighs in around 10 pounds with the scope. Not as bad as shooting a light hunting rifle but not as easy on the shoulder as shooting my Savage FP.

Anyway, enjoy. Haven't seen a SASS for $1500 so you probably did good and who knows, it might shoot as good as your Remington did.
View Quote

I can't remember the exact weight of the REM 700 but it was pretty heavy.  Hoping the SASS can get after targets from 600-700 yards.  I like semi-autos better than bolt guns so this trade was a no-brainer for me.  

I also just purchased the Vortex Razor HD 1-6 Gen II so we'll see how they pair up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
Mine is an 18" non SASS, and goes 1000 often on 168 and 175 pills. Roughly 41moa for 168's and 37moa for 175's with my loads. - you'll do 600 yards all day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:36:40 AM EDT
I'd probably do that trade.  Although, a 1-6 scope might not be ideal for 600 yards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:17:16 PM EDT
I was told the 1-6 could reach out to 600 yards...here is my set up.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:54:56 PM EDT
Good trade
Semi over bolt
Im pretty sure the accuracy is just as good nowadays with these precison rifles
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
Depends on the size of your target and how accurately you want to print. Is any hit on a man sized target a hit? If so 6x is probably ok.
Top Top