Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 2:37:49 PM EDT
I am trying to find a toy M4 for my son. He is going to be 1 year old at the end of the month and he keeps trying to get my M4 and play with it. I want to get one that looks real and that does not cost a bunch cause he will probably tear it up. Does anyone have any recomendations? Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The first thing I would do is make sure your M4 is impossible for a child to even touch.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It is. When I have it out in my hands he trys to go right for it. Even in the gun cabinet, which has a glass door on it.

ETA: I have an old 10/22 stock I gave to him to play with for now but anytime I have the M4 out he focuses his attention on it. He is that way with all my guns but even more so with my M4.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
A few years ago, there were the Entertech electric water guns. I had one of those that looked dead-up like a CAR-15 (even more so after I painted it with buck-stove paint). And since it had some actual innards, it was a little more sturdier than a plain old thin-plastic toy gun.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=720&item=5918766439&rd=1

-J
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats neat. I just want to make sure that it is safe for him at his age, whichever I get him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Check this out

There are better reproductions, but considering his young age...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What
If Norinco made an M4, that's what it'd look like.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16048&item=3697834087&rd=1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be cool if they didnt charge $17.00 for shipping.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I am concerned with getting something that wont hurt him due to him being 1 year old but I also want to get him a toy gun. Hell, gun was his third word he ever said. He is completely infatuated with them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
He

Dude...Really...I am sorry, but I just had to.  You know...it's like when the ice cream bucket is calling you before you eat breakfast.h.gif
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That would be cool if they didnt charge $17.00 for shipping.

reason #35492491 why I hate Ebay

well since hes only 1 Im not sure of anything since it might contain small parts, perfect for choking on.

but... when he gets a little older you can get him a trainer from us cavalry

www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7016&tabID=
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll second the trainer gun. I read an article in Combat Handguns, SWAT, or Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement about a gent who wouldn't get his children toy guns (they were 3 - 5 when they wanted them) and rather let them use his old .22 rifle. He line of thinking was if they're old enough for toys, they're old enough for the real thing which only works if your kids are 3 - 5 years old. Being one I'd be reluctant to get a toy that can be mistaken for a gun due to the political correctness of todays world.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I do want him to grow up respecting guns, and I had them when I was young. I know that it needs to not LOOK real in some way due to todays world. Maybe I will build him up a 22LR AR for when he gets older... And when he gets even older I can switch the upper out for a 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I do want him to grow up respecting guns, and I had them when I was young. I know that it needs to not LOOK real in some way due to todays world. Maybe I will build him up a 22LR AR for when he gets older... And when he gets even older I can switch the upper out for a 5.56.

IMO I think bolt action single shots are better for first .22, it what I had and when I have kids they will do the same.  again, just my opinon... look for davey crickett rifles, extremely small for young 'uns
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
My first rifle was a 10/22, and then a bolt gun. Then a shotgun. I already have a small 22 rifle for him for later on. I am just impatient about getting him things... I bought a harley davidson for him before he was born, of course I ride it till he is old enough
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Concerning kids and guns, I'm a firm believer in gun control. You sometimes have to hold the forearm for them to help them align the sights so they can hit the target..You have to drill it into them when they are young before they are too old and stop listening to you.
I'm going to get a Cricket .22 next week, all five of mine proved that they can handle weapons safely under supervision the other weekend. They also know better than to mess with any gun they find.

They just know that it would be dangerous. I lecture to them all the time about it, they used to go to pre-school in a not so nice 'hood where a kid finding a gun in the bushes was not an uncommon occurence, so I drilled it into their heads not to mess with any gun they found unless a grownup checked it out. I also told them not to let anyone else mess with one until a grownup checked it out.

When you play paintball, you find out quickly how many grownups don't know how to keep their fingers off the trigger or make sure their barrel is pointed in a safe direction..I'm determined that my kids will be more safe than that before they are ten.
I read an article in the National Geographic about the Innuit in northern Canada. A 7 year old was teaching a 5 year old how to load and shoot a .45-70. Accidental shootings are unheard of with children in that culture. American kids know that stoves can burn you and knives can cut you, but guns?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:30:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Where I was raised up at we always had guns. Of course they were always put up and I could only handle them under supervision until I proved I was safe and responsible with them. I learned the fundementals of marksmanship way before I could even ride a bike. I still remember being taught to shoot.

I am a former Marine Primary Marksmanship Instructor and have taught some of the best and some of the dumbest people on earth to shoot. I am completely confadent in my abilities to instruct to anyone about shooting, and gun safty. My son will have the very first rifle I had and will learn on it just as I did. Thankfuly I still have it and I am in the process of rebuilding it for him.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]
You could always get him a spring loaded CAR15 or M4 airsoft and take away the plastic
pellets. They only cost around $100 and I would have fought the biggest kid on my
block for one(if they had them) back in my day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I think that would be better when he gets a bit older...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#21]
DM,
check this site out:www.realistictoyguns.com
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Those are cool...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
DM,
check this site out:www.realistictoyguns.com

Wow check out the replica Garand, you can get a greek rack grade for the same price!

Brian
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Check this out
www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/1-2-3_small.jpg

There are better reproductions, but considering his young age...

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The first thing I would do is make sure your M4 is impossible for a child to even touch.

They tell their preschool classmates, "Your big brother plays with airsoft!  Ha ha!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Ill sell you a airsoft gun with a jammed piston..it looks damn cool, but wont shoot.  Full colt trademarks, collapsable stock, removable carry handle, Simmons scope, breaks down just like the real thing, you name it..this is as real as it gets.  Maybe a little more than you want to spend, though.

premium.uploadit.org/tylerwayne/m4a1-001.jpg

as of now I have the carry handle on and front sight turned in the proper position.  

*edit* found the pics I was looking for...

http://premium.uploadit.org/tylerwayne/m4..-001.jpg

http://premium.uploadit.org/tylerwayne/m4..-002.jpg

http://premium.uploadit.org/tylerwayne/m4003.jpg

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Wayne53, I sent you an IM...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#28]
DM1975, I IMed you back
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.boomspeed.com/kisara/MSTNheirlooms.jpg

They tell their preschool classmates, "Your big brother plays with airsoft!  Ha ha!"

HAHAHA
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top