Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 11:39:07 AM EDT
I have astripped lower onthe way, along with a bag of lower parts. Everyting I need to make a complkete AR lower. Except, now what tools do I need to assemble the lower? I would use the post that is tacked, but the link is dead. Thanks for any help in advance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a hammer and a pocket knife(with pliers on it).   Took about 15-20 minutes (first and only time I've done it so far).

But to do it right, you need some punches and depending on what type of grip screw you get, either a screw driver or allen wrench.

Just take it slow and easy.  Especially with the front pin spring and detent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch the trigger guard roll pin install!  You don't want to break those tabs off of the RECEIVER, BEAVER!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Watch the trigger guard roll pin install!  You don't want to break those tabs off of the RECEIVER, BEAVER!

HEY, markm did NOT say 'take it to a qualified gun smith'!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I've given up!  

But seriously, the lower is pretty easy to put together.  Even though some of the dumb shits here have fucked it up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If you care about the finish, get some masking tape to protect it,
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
www.brownells.com AR15 tools

22 - BROWNELLS ROLL PIN PUNCHES - The ONLY way to properly install or remove roll pins without damage to either the pin or the surrounding metal. A small raised projection in the face of the punch automatically centers the punch and prevents the roll pin from collapsing. $19.02

edited -

Quoted:
If you care about the finish, get some masking tape to protect it,

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Those same type roll pin tools are available through Sears online for $10 or so.  You really could use one roll pin punch.  Mainly for the bolt catch lever.
Better than that are roll pin starter tools (a rod with holes drilled into each end to hold a roll pin while you start it into the receiver.  They can be tapped fro the other end, and will drive your roll pin in about half way, smoothly.

To start the front pivot pin, I use a pair of needle nosed pliers with horizontal lines in the jaw, to hold the detent pin firmly in the grooves, while I push in with the pivot pin, until I can safely let go with the pliers.  Never a problem if you have a good grip of all your parts (including the receiver).
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The instructions here work for me, and give all the details you need. In my opinion, the bare minimum are:

Roll Pin Punches (3/32", 1/8", 5/32")
Hammer (not too big)
Flat-Blade Screwdriver
Block of wood
Pivot Pin Installation Tool (optional, and easy to make from 1/4" rod, or use a slave pin)
Allen Key (if required for your pistol grip screw)
Telescoping Stock Wrench(for telestocks only - duh)
Duct tape (for protecting the receiver while installing the bolt catch)
Gun oil or solvent (for cleaning storage residue off parts prior to installation)
Large (min 1 gallon) transparent plastic bag (to catch the escaping pivot pin detent/spring - install these parts inside the bag)

Good luck !
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The instructions here work for me, and give all the details you need. In my opinion, the bare minimum are:

Roll Pin Punches (3/32", 1/8", 5/32")
Hammer (not too big)
Flat-Blade Screwdriver
Block of wood
Pivot Pin Installation Tool (optional, and easy to make from 1/4" rod, or use a slave pin)
Allen Key (if required for your pistol grip screw)
Telescoping Stock Wrench(for telestocks only - duh)
Duct tape (for protecting the receiver while installing the bolt catch)
Gun oil or solvent (for cleaning storage residue off parts prior to installation)
Large (min 1 gallon) transparent plastic bag (to catch the escaping pivot pin detent/spring - install these parts inside the bag)

Good luck !

Very good idea, but use clear wrapping tape, or blue masking tape.  It is tough and doesn't leave a residue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
My 1st lower build was a stripped Colt. Assembled it on the kitchen counter using simple hand tools in about 30 minutes, the second one in about half that time. Use duct tape, it's tougher.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top