Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 10:42:26 AM EDT
I zeroed my TA11 for 100 yrds (not meters) last night at about 6:30 pm. By 7:30 the sun was basically down. My last shots were at 7:45.

Targets were at 50, 100, 200, and 400.

Ammo - Win white box.

Gun - bushwacka lower / RRA 20" FT SS FF upper.

This was too easy. The gun shot 1/2 minute with crappy ammo. The sight is just sick - sooo easy.

I will say this, all but 40 rounds were from prone, and I can definately say that I really liked the extra eye relief in this position. However, I kinda would swim on the stock looking for the best spot when shooting snap shots offhand. Offhand BTW - so fast in the fading light.

The "Doh_Nut of Death" as I have seen it reffered to - is IMHO the best all around sight pic available. My 200 yard group was 1/2 MOA but b/c my intended POI was obscrued by the upper half of the doh_nut - I was off of my intended POI by 1.5 inches. So like others have commented - it is not as precise as a cross hair or a chevron - it is very fast and certainly precise enough.

4" steel at 400 in the fading light showed the true promise of this sight.

I am waiting on a load of 77 grn Sierra SMKs - then I will get serious. Looking forward to 600 yrds!

I know this has been beat to death, but I wanted to say thanks to all who helped me make a decision.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
However, I kinda would swim on the stock looking for the best spot when shooting snap shots offhand.
View Quote

Do you mean that target aquisition was slow ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I would also like to know what forearm you have on your rifle and how far forward or back you have the scope mounted.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]"4" steel at 400 in the fading light showed the true promise of this sight."[/b]

If you're hitting 4" steel targets at 400 yards then you've got one hell of a setup!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
incredible

the recticle is larger than the 4" target size out at 400 yards. Your eyes are as good as eagle eyes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're hitting 4" steel targets at 400 yards then you've got one hell of a setup!
View Quote

What is so special about that?  I ring a 12x12 metal gong at 400 yards all day with iron sights; with an optic it shouldn't be to terribly difficult to squeeze those shots onto a 4x4.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What is so special about that?  I ring a 12x12 metal gong at 400 yards all day with iron sights; with an optic it shouldn't be to terribly difficult to squeeze those shots onto a 4x4.
View Quote

Hitting a 12"x12" target with iron sights is pretty impressive.  Hitting a 4" target is astounding, especially since the target isn't even visible at that range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
high five there, the TA11 is excellent!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]
G35 - yes, when I say I am swiming - it is a bit slow. However, I want to try moving it forward and trying again - this should correct this.

Devl - Standard RR FF. It is mounted all the way back on the FT - I think I will move it forward about an 1" and try it again.

PPD & Wengv - actually I would *hope* that damm near anyone could do this. Granted, I have put a lot of rounds down range with my M40 clone w/ a 10x to 1k - but still, anyone should be making a 400 yrd shot with this scope - it is that easy.

FWIW - the book Precision Shooting At 1000 Yards notes that in 2000 the world championships was won in the light gun division (similar in weight to an M40) w/ a group of just over a 1/4 MOA (I *think* it was 4.3" at 1k yrds)

BTW PPD - I know what you mean about how big something is or would appear to be at a distance. Several years ago when I first got interested in shooting long and wanted a scope I could not believe that everyone kept saying "get a 10x - you don't need anymore". At the time I worked out the mathmatic ratios - a 4" target at 1k yrds is like looking a 1/4" object at 20 yrds with the naked eye. (Going from memory here on the ratio - but it is close enough for this discussion). Using a 14x was like moving to 17 yrds - the slight improvement in mag could be negated by mirage at the higher power. In short, it has less to do with size of the target as it does with being able to read and understand wind, knowing your drops, knowing how temp, elevation, mirage, sun, shade, angle, and wind (not to mention about 15 other things) all effect POI - it's just practice - lots and lots and lots of practice.

good luck
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top