Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 2:51:22 PM EDT
I finally got my first set of AR15 mags (mil-spec straight 20rd mags with black plastic followers) and noticed the front would "tilt".

Is this a problem for the AR15 rifle? Because you should see the amount of tilt we get on the GOOD AK mags w/ steel or plastic followers.

I would think a stronger spring would compensate for any tilt (in case it got caught on the mag body or something).

Do I *need* the green or Magpul followers? Michigan requires that I shoot single loads at their DNR ranges (too expensive to shoot at private clubs).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't need to mess with the follower on a USGI 20rd magazine, though I've not heard of these having plastic followers.  All mine are metal.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Black plastic followers are fine for 20rd mags since they are straight (not curved like 30's).

The black plastic followers are found in Colt commercial mag's. The military mags got alloy metal followers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Green followers also tilt forward... just not backward.  Magpul followers dont tilt either way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm these were the dry-film coated CMMG 20-rd straight mags, marked "LE/Gov't" date stamped 11/03... Made by NMMHG (I forgot the exact acronym) in Hartford, CT
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hmmmm these were the dry-film coated CMMG 20-rd straight mags, marked "LE/Gov't" date stamped 11/03... Made by NMMHG (I forgot the exact acronym) in Hartford, CT

Sounds like a company that made them for Colt.

I have never had a problem in any of my mags with the factory followers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't OKay make Colt Mags?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top