Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 2:04:05 PM EDT
The M4 handguards on my LE6920 upper have a little too much side to side roll in them.
As an experiment, I put the carbine handguards from my Colt 6530 onto the 6920 upper. Tight as a drum. The M4 hanguards on the 6530 upper had the same side to side play.
So it's definitely the handguards that have a problem.
Looks like there is not enough material at the rear of the handgurad tabs (that slide into the delta ring).
What material could I use to build up this area? Bedding compound? JB Weld?
Call Colt and see if they'll send me a new set??
Anything else?

Mick
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The M4 handguards on my LE6920 upper have a little too much side to side roll in them.
As an experiment, I put the carbine handguards from my Colt 6530 onto the 6920 upper. Tight as a drum. The M4 hanguards on the 6530 upper had the same side to side play.
So it's definitely the handguards that have a problem.
Looks like there is not enough material at the rear of the handgurad tabs (that slide into the delta ring).
What material could I use to build up this area? Bedding compound? JB Weld?
Call Colt and see if they'll send me a new set??
Anything else?

Mick

Every M4 handguard I've ever messed with has some side to side play as do most
AR handguards.

Any easy remedy is to cut "100 MPH"(OD Green military do it all tape 0r use duct tape)
tape into the shape of the four sections on the
HGs that lock in with the hanguard cap towards the Front sight tower. about two or
3 layers of tape in those four spots should eliminate most to all play.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
This is BS.  Colt is perfection.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The man asked for help- not a pot stirring.  Jeesh!  It's always somebody.  We need a dedicated Colt bashing forum.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The man asked for help- not a pot stirring.  Jeesh!  It's always somebody.  We need a dedicated Colt bashing forum.  

I figured since he got his question answered I could stir the pot... sorry guys just kidding around
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We need a dedicated Colt bashing forum.  

That would be AWESOME!  Kind of like Ed Sr's Bear pit... but for Colt bashing.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
you seemed to have answered your question...

just get a new set of handguards.

This is a normal occurrence on shorty handguards
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I used duck tape.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
my midlength has zero movement... I love RRA
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We need a dedicated Colt bashing forum.  

That would be AWESOME!  Kind of like Ed Sr's Bear pit... but for Colt bashing.  

The problem with that is once the facts started flying you guys would run out of things to say and resort to stuff like, "Colt sux.".    
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
My Bushmaster handguards are extremely loose... this is on a brand new rifle as well (non-carbine)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, the handy man's secret weapon, duct tape!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I would worry about it or care about the handguards shaking a little.  But the duck tape idea is great for those who want to do it
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Put a small dab of jb weld on the square notches on the front of the handguards. File to fit. Some handguards have a slightly larger notch than the square keeper on the front handguard retainer;  that`s where the play comes from.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Isn't this looseness good for accuracy because the handguards are sort of free-floating?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top