Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2002 2:10:03 PM EDT
I picked up a couple of 20-round mags at a show today. They are tight and won't eject. I have to break the lower from the upper and give the mag a little karate chop to get it out. The bottom cover plate says "Colt AR15" and "Made in the USA". My AR is a Colt Target Match HBAR.

Does anyone know if Colt made Steel mags? Do Colt 20-round mags usually have a curved shape?
Thanks for any help.
Stew
Dunedin, Florida
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know Stew, my metal 20 round Colt mags are straight and look just like the 5 round mags that came with the Sporter. Could be the curve that's giving you the tight fit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Stew, sometimes mags swell a little over time. And chances are your 20 round mag is VERY old. Unless mistaken, they stopped making 20 round mags some time in the 70's!

The doesnt mean they dont work or arent as good as other mags. But, they "may" be a little swollen. You can try putting them in a padded vice and ever so gently squeezing.

And no, 20 round mags are not curved, they are straight with a slanted bottom. Good luck and if you are in FL, check the link at the bottom of my post. Maybe you'd like to come and shoot with us some time!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I was rechecking all my 20 rounders last night and I also have 3 out of 9 that fit very tight..but I don't have to break it down to get them out just pull rather hard...I'm guessing that they got bent or warped somehow somewhere..and two of the 3 are colt and the other is a universal m16/m16a1..I just recently replaced the springs and followers and thought I'd goofed somehow but all that checks out fine..I guess they are just out of shape somehow...range mags only I guess now...jackpot
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh great, now you tell me even the mags suffer from bloating too. What's a guy to do with an AR with a PMS mag in it? Must be that time of month for your new mag Stew.  Good luck.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top