Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 12:47:44 AM EDT
Just looking for something that will do a better job of projecting the blast forward than a naked muzzle.

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It will be loud (and annoying) and I see no real advantage unless you plan to breach a door.
Also, it's ugly and makes your butt look big.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I know the Troy Claymore does a great job of throwing the blast and noise out in front of you. It almost makes it seem like the 5.56 is half as loud as the A2. I know its not but its kind of like when youre standing a few feet behind another shooter.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never understood caring about which way the blast goes, as long as its not back at you/your forward hand. I really think the issue is exaggerated. Unless you shoot at an elbow to elbow range, and don't want to be that guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've never understood caring about which way the blast goes, as long as its not back at you/your forward hand. I really think the issue is exaggerated. Unless you shoot at an elbow to elbow range, and don't want to be that guy.

Throwing the blast and concussion out as far forward of you is a good thing. Especially if you shoot down a narrow indoor range and you will get my drift. I would say that after shooting inside a house if you had to, without hearing protection. Your standard PWS types of brakes would make you deaf. Or close to it on a permanent basis.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Throwing the blast and concussion out as far forward of you is a good thing. Especially if you shoot down a narrow indoor range and you will get my drift. I would say that after shooting inside a house if you had to, without hearing protection. Your standard PWS types of brakes would make you deaf. Or close to it on a permanent basis.

I often forget that some guys shoot inside, I usually only shoot pistols at indoor ranges. That makes sense.

Do those actually act as a brake to tame muzzle rise or just re-direct the blast? I was considering one for a Kel-tec pistol my brother in law bought and now hates (trading for a plane jane 16" upper), but taming muzzle flip is the primary concern.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I put one on my AR-57 upper , which wasn't that loud to begin with .
Now it's no louder than a .22
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
That brake looks like it would not affect recoil IMO, but the blast would be projected to the front quite nicely.
Depending on the ammo, what would the flash do? I may pick one of these up to play with
Where are these muzzle devices found?

Edit to add-> I was shooting when a guy a couple tables down pulled out a 16" middy with a flaming pig on his. Sounded sorta like a morter round as he shot, quietened that rifle down quite a bit. Was the first time I had seen that configuration, he said hunting without earpro made him enjoy shooting more (hogs from a stand).
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That brake looks like it would not affect recoil IMO, but the blast would be projected to the front quite nicely.

Depending on the ammo, what would the flash do? I may pick one of these up to play with

Edit to add-> I was shooting when a guy a couple tables down pulled out a 16" middy with a flaming pig on his. Sounded sorta like a morter round as he shot, quietened that rifle down quite a bit. Was the first time I had seen that configuration, he said hunting without earpro made him enjoy shooting more (hogs from a stand).

The Claymore comes straight back and twists clockwise on my rig. Rise is barely noticeable, but like any comp the grip, shouldering and stance play a bigger role than anything.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It will be loud (and annoying) and I see no real advantage unless you plan to breach a door.
Also, it's ugly and makes your butt look big.

HA!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Ribbed for your pleasure.......
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I am thinking about one on my SBR since I don't want the heavy flaming pig.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lousy brake, but good DNA collector.  

lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm only interested in redirecting some of the blast.  I don't care about flash, muzzle rise or recoil.  Right now, I have a 12" barrel with a naked muzzle.

http://aa-ok.com/muzzle-adapter-rom-22mm-to-14mmlh-barrel-thread.html

You know what, it does look like the Troy Claymore (I didn't know about that one) which is designed to redirect the blast.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Claymore comes straight back and twists clockwise on my rig. Rise is barely noticeable, but like any comp the grip, shouldering and stance play a bigger role than anything.

Back in the mid 80's I worked with a local gunsmith testing a lot of his design brakes (using mostly heavy magnum based loads) and we found different design gave different results (duh!). One of his looked similar in design to the claymore (twithout the cleats and ribs), just pushed the rifle straight back with no real change in recoil, just felt different. Yet, burning 90-95 grains of powder and I could still sit at the next bench without the pressure wave hitting me. I enjoyed testing his brakes till KDF threatened lawsuits over a couple of his designs. I am no fan of the A2 flash hider and remove them as soon as possible, they can be improved upon very easily. I follow no protocol on others likes/dislikes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ribbed for your pleasure.......

HER pleasure, Sally!

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a dpms levang linear on my 16" middy. It is a similar design without the spikes. Probably a fair amount cheaper as well. Just an option to consider.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm only interested in redirecting some of the blast.  I don't care about flash, muzzle rise or recoil.  Right now, I have a 12" barrel with a naked muzzle.

http://aa-ok.com/muzzle-adapter-rom-22mm-to-14mmlh-barrel-thread.html

You know what, it does look like the Troy Claymore (I didn't know about that one) which is designed to redirect the blast.

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=484842

Not only does it look like it but it is the Claymore. Everything in your first pic is Troy: rail, rail covers, sights, stock, grip, trigger guard, brake.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I noticed that too.  And yet, it's offered by that company for much cheaper and without the Troy label.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
You might wanna change the wording in the title to relfect Troy Claymore so folks can find it more easily in a search.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top