BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 12:50:10 PM EDT
I really want a TA31, but don't know if I want to shell out 8 Benjamin's just yet. So what say you people? oponions? alternatives?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I just shelled out $795 clams for a TA31.  Worth every penny.
Guess it depends what you intend on using it for.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I really want a TA31, but don't know if I want to shell out 800 Benjamin's just yet. So what say you people? oponions? alternatives?

You want one but dont want to pay that kind of money.

Translation:  you dont need one therefore you cant justify paying that kind of money
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the general consensus is that you get what you pay for.  What do you want it for???  If my life is going to be on the line, I will do the ACOG.  If I want to punch paper and play armchair commando, the T 168 from TAPCO works pretty well (I think that is the designation).  

All depends on the situation and the available cashola.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't know, I don't own one.... but 800 benjamins would be $80,000, not $800.

Benjamin Franklin is on the $100 bill, therefore they are nicknamed "Benjamins". $800 would be 8 Benjamins, or uh... 800 Washingtons I suppose

Anyway, sorry to crash your thread with the nitpicking, I just couldn't help myself :)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
YES
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The ACOG is worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have owned 2 of these for a long time, 7or 8 years minimum(?), anyway, ABSOLUTLY YES!!
Charles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]
YES.

And I'm an iron sights guy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
no.  I love them and have a couple and will pay whatever is asked, BUT i think they are WAAAAAAAY overpriced.  actually I take that back.  I don't think they are overpriced.  at the rpices we pay, 800-900.  the MAP's are insane.  But then again these are some of the only scopes that you will really really have trouble breaking!  (remember the bullet?)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes and NO.

I really think they are overpriced, but they are the only game in town for what they offer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Price is the only barrier for me.  I went with an Aimpoint and there's nothing I cant hit inside 300 meters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Well then is the RCO worth 100 bucks more for the side radius lines?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the question at hand is, how much does it actually cost to manufacture an ACOG?, they are extremely durable, and it is important if on a job were your life is on the line to have the best quality, but still quite over-priced.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. They appear to be worth every penny...for combat.

For the average joe (me) who likes his toys and punches paper/cardboard cutouts...I chose an EoTech at ~$300 discounted. The extra $500 is an extra 2000 rounds downrange...or nearly all of my SBR build (minus taxes).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
That old adage - buy once / cry once......

They are cheap compared to a USO.

They are great for practical applications. They are not a target optic. They are durable - mine personal one has had more than one fall from chest high onto a solid floor.... As another said - if it is for couch commando work...buy the Tapco.... if you actually use it as it is intended via games or feel as though you may need it in the future to save your ass - it is worth every penny.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really want a TA31, but don't know if I want to shell out 800 Benjamin's just yet. So what say you people? oponions? alternatives?

You want one but dont want to pay that kind of money.

Translation:  you dont need one therefore you cant justify paying that kind of money

Basically.

ACOG is awesome, and very worth it, but I just could not suck up that expense for what will be a hobby toy
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope. Not worth 800.

Worth at least 2x!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#18]

I love the Acog I have. It's easy to sight in, built like a tank, and easy to use.
Worth the $'s, IMHO.
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Price is the only barrier for me.  I went with an Aimpoint and there's nothing I cant hit inside 300 meters.

I know your not trying to compare an Aimpoint with an ACOG.  I had an Aimpoint ML2 and it was pretty accurate out to 100, maybe 150 yards but single shot hits out to 300 meters were rare.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I think they are worth about $700.  A tad overpriced.  Great scope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think they are worth about $700.  A tad overpriced.  Great scope.

I would think they are worth 800 if they have variable power. I have a hard time adjusting from far out targets (20yds and beyond) to close up targets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#24]
its worth whatever people are willing topay for it. SO yes i guess it is
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#25]
well worth and there are no substitutes
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
well worth and there are no substitutes

That's why they can basically charge whatever they want.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
yes
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I got two, a 31F and an NSN.  I want to sell one, but can't make myself do it.  The NSN is a perfect sight in scope.

If you like low power optics, they are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Would you recommend the TAO1NSN to anybody or just tell them to get a ta31?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#31]
223semiauto;

I don't have to put my life on the line in my job.

But I've had it with inferior optics, and paying twice for something that's cheaper, yet doesn't perform well, then having to go back out & buy again.

So when I wanted a durable 4x optic to mount on the carry handle of my Colt HBAR, I did my research and bought a Model #: TA01.

Sure, it doesn't have the BAC. But see my first sentence? It's not for "work" and I'm not an "armchair commando" either.

But what it is, is a great optic in a durable shell. It is everything promised, and will last for years.
AND I paid $650 + shipping for a NIB in an eBay auction.

Does my TA01 have Red Dual Illumination & BAC like the TA31 you're looking for? NOPE!
Do YOU NEED Red Dual Illumination & BAC? Then you WILL pay more.

Whatever you get in a Trijicom ACOG, you'll never be disapointed in the quality.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#33]
The TA31A is the best rig for an AR15, next topic please.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#34]
i dont know, maybe, i could of got 4 new acogs for what i paid for my USO

its all in the eye of the beholder
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Yesum, they are.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I certainly hope so as I am ordering one next week!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I really want a TA31, but don't know if I want to shell out 8 Benjamin's just yet. So what say you people? oponions? alternatives?

I recently struggled through the same apprehensions and indecision regarding the purchase of my first ever ACOG...a TA11 for $899....to mount up in the carry-handle of my brand new Bushy 16" Patrolmans A2M4gery SHTF Carbine.

I invested weeks of research, thought and struggling with myself NOT to "justify the purchase of an acog" but in an attempt TO FIND a "less expensive and viable alternative/option" and here's what I came up with....noda. LOL!!!

For comparison?....the closest thing to an acog is a combination of  "A Top Shelf Aimpoint (about $400) AND A Top Shelf 3X Magnifier (again about $400)" and that still leaves you NEEDING a $125 Mount to mount up Your 3X Magnifier.....and now?...for $925 you're still left with...

1. A "Battery Dependent Sighting System"
2. A tad shy in magnification as compared to many models of acog
3. Still no long range calibrated stadia lines
4. And nothing but BUIS to back ya up should your red-dot light go out for any number of 1,000 reasons.
5. And you're still in the bucket for a supply of batteries.

I won't have a supply sargent or a platoon leader holding out a box of fresh batteries for me at the close of every day....and in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI theater?...and one of the first items that WILL BE cleared from all stores & shelves will be...."Batteries".....especially those "short shelf life"..... "AA's".

The acogs are the only sighting system out there that are...

1. Always On and at the ready 24/7 and...
2. Never hafta be "TURNED ON" or adjusted for washout
3. Never hafta be "Turned Off"
and...the biggy?...
4. "NO BATTERIES REQUIRED"....ever.

Now?..."weigh the cost of what you pay vs what you get"...between an acog against that of a "Aimpoint/3X Mag & Mount Combo"...and suddenly the acog looks like a freaking bargain!!! LOL!!! And it's a bargain that I'd bet my life on.

Simply put?....The ACOG's are in a class of their own and they have no peers.

At least that's what I came up with and....

L8R, Bill.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a TA31A in the mail along with my newest SHTF implement - an 18" SPR.

This AR is the end result of years of practice, research, trials, errors, and so forth.  I can't wait!  My intent is to build myself my version of the ultimate AR, purchase a couple more handguns and call the arms race good.

It's time for me to switch my purchasing power to survival supplies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#39]
If an ACOG is what you want I don't  know of another cheaper alternative. I love my TA01NSN with J Point sight mounted on top.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I think they are overpriced.  That being said, I still buy them as they are a great scope.  I don't think a scope should cost as much as a gun.  That's just me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Yup.  Worth it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#42]
nope. my compact acog  after 4 years sitting in my safe the tritum burnt out and after removing the scope from my sp1 and putting it on my 6920 carry handle it would not zero or even come close to zero. sent it back to trijicon and they said a screw had come loose inside and it could not be fixed.  they claim there sending a new one
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#43]
nope. my compact acog  after 4 years sitting in my safe the tritum burnt out and after removing the scope from my sp1 and putting it on my 6920 carry handle it would not zero or even come close to zero. sent it back to trijicon and they said a screw had come loose inside and it could not be fixed.  they claim there sending a new one
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Noops:  You're on burst.
So, after 4 years you are getting a new ACOG and they are not worth it?  Riiiight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#46]
yeah it would be a nice scope if it lasted longer than 100rds. not worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#47]
the only real question that should of been asked initially was,

have you ever looked through one and used one on somebody else's rig?

If so what did you think, how did it increase your accuracy.  Your answers to those questions would tell you whether or not you think it's worth it.

I myself have had the oppurtunity to look through and shoot with eklikwhoa's trijicons, and I'd have to say they are the cleanist (slang term) optics I've ever looked through.  but for me to be able to only afford maybe 2 ARs, or 2 high-end AKs a year, I'm not sure it's worth it.  Until I have money like there's no tomorrow, I probably won't buy one.

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
nope. my compact acog  after 4 years sitting in my safe the tritum burnt out

News Flash...I've owned several sets of  tritium charged night sights over the years and anytime I left them in my gun safe (deprived of any light source whatsoever) for even 6 months to a year (let alone 4 years) the sights lost a considerable amount of their  brightness...as in...I could barely see'em glow...until they were exposed to an hour or two worth of sunligt...or better yet?...a strobe flash pulse from a camera...which woke'em up like right now...and I've found this true of all Trijicon, Meprolight and Advanced Weaponry tritium charged night sights...but 4 years in a gun safe?...that right there is "Tritium Night Sight Abuse" in my book.

and after removing the scope from my sp1 and putting it on my 6920 carry handle it would not zero or even come close to zero.

And may I ask.....what ever led you to believe that you could take a scope off of one rifle....then mount it on another and expect.....zero?.....wtf?

sent it back to trijicon and they said a screw had come loose inside and it could not be fixed.

And right now?..my guess as to why that screw came loose is because the barrel alignment unto the upper reciever of your 6920 was no where's near as square as that of your SP1 and...you wound up "Over-Adjusting The Scope"...either that or it was not properly seated/mounted in the carry handle.

they claim there sending a new one

Now there's a........."Sound Claim".

ACOG's are a highly sought after optic that has reached "ICON STATUS" amoungst out troops in the field....but yours sits in a gun safe for 4 years and the lights go out and won't hold zero between two entirely different rifles....go figure. LOL!!!

Yes....I'm laughing at you...but take heart cause I know Trijicon will make it right for you...in the meantime?...I suggest you take a good hard look at why it would "adjust too" zero on your SP1 but not on your 6920.

Best of luck and....L8R, Bill.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#49]
How much does the DOD pay for them?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#50]
DOD generally pays a shade under retail, units buy 'em on IMPAC cards from dealers.

I just bought an RCO from Grant, about to break her in tomorrow and get her sandy rather soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top