Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 7:51:27 PM EDT
Has anyone seen the prices? One guy wants over 3K for a Gov't Carbine with 2 mags and a surefire Light ! The rest are well over a Grand. These Dealers are crazy. Glad mine only cost me $1100.00 in 1997 . I guess they are trying to recoup some of the money the paid for the stuff during the Ban years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Has anyone seen the prices? One guy wants over 3K for a Gov't Carbine with 2 mags and a surefire Light ! The rest are well over a Grand. These Dealers are crazy. Glad mine only cost me $1100.00 in 1997 . I guess they are trying to recoup some of the money the paid for the stuff during the Ban years.

Gov't carbines always commanded higher prices than any other Colt prebans.  Supply and demand, plain and simple.  They are the closest in appearance and features to a real M16 without the full auto parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
are you speaking of the 6520 ??
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The Colt 6721's that were pre-bans used to be the most desirable model.  Now that the ban is over its the 6920, I just don't understand why anyone would pay that much for a gun that they can get brand new for much less, with LE/government markings no less.  These guys can't be selling these rifles at those prices can they?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say give it awhile for the smoke to clear. Give it till March/April of '05 and let's see where prices fall in.

I've wondered some months back this thought ... if the ban really sunsets, under what obligation does Colt have to perform business prior to the ban?

Right after the ban did indeed sunset, out of the blue and unforseen to many, Colt anounced there are no plans the make availible to the "common people" any weapon of the post pre-ban models.

I don't see H&K's or the like flooding the resale market either.

Understand Colt is owned partially by the "People's Republic of Conneticut" and most of us know what thinking they incorporate. They have other interests at heart. One stock holder expressed that Colt, for the idea of political and "good business" pourposes intends to keep their business "as is" and doesn't need or want to change this policy. After all, Colt expresess that the common people make up less than 8% of the sales since 9/11. Now, Colt enjoys military contracts as well as other business endeviors.

Getting to the middle man ...

I believe there's the thinking that 1 ... as you've stated, they paid "x" amount of dollars and wish to cover as much as they can to to pervent loss. And now they like to believe they have help from Colt's said anouncement. And 2, like any other commodity, supply and demand dictates how they perform business.

Then ... there's the greed factor, which is present in most involved.

I'd keep mine and not involve myself in "wishful thinking", therefore removing any emotional thoughts.

Just my long-winded 2 cents worth ...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Greed is all I can come up with
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The market will even out.  Nobody is buying a $2,500 preban anymore, so once the sellers realize that, prices will drop.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top